Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown

'Don't look' is higher on the list than Flash of the Blade?....okay then.  It's your list.  I'll say no more about that positioning.  Face in the sand is another wildly under appreciated song, from a wildly under appreciated album.  Great beat and  rhythms throughout,  and the quasi-cataclysmic lyrical content, overall a great song.  IMO easily  '40 songs' better than  'stranger'.  Seems around the right spot on the list though.  Stranger is just way too high, again, your list.

valacirca said:
Hey thanks Perun :ok: I do appreciate the conflict and dissent in the sense that it produces more interesting discussion than agreement and accord, so that might help with my tolerance for the "hate." Although to be honest, relative to my years of exposure to all sorts of forums and message boards on the internet, I don't find a lot of the reactions on this thread to be particularly hateful :) Any reaction is better than no reaction at all, I think.

You have been very patient. :ok:
bornless1 said:
'Don't look' is higher on the list than Flash of the Blade?....okay then.  It's your list.  I'll say no more about that positioning.   Face in the sand is another wildly under appreciated song, from a wildly under appreciated album.   Great beat and  rhythms throughout,  and the quasi-cataclysmic lyrical content, overall a great song.  IMO easily  '40 songs' better than  'stranger'.  Seems around the right spot on the list though.  Stranger is just way too high, again, your list.

He did say he'll have to change the 'Don't Look...' rating.  ;)

Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown - Album #11

Album #11 - Killers

1397.jpg

As I vaguely remember Steve Harris saying in one interview, a musician’s debut record is usually made up of the best songs that he’s spent his whole life perfecting. Then after the initial success, being thrust into the spotlight and doing whirlwind tours, you’re suddenly required to come up with a new album and you end up scrambling to either come up with new material or refine compositions that weren’t good enough for the previous record.

That’s exactly how Killers feels: Like a combination of songs that weren’t good enough for the debut and songs that were put together in a hurry so that they could release a new album (although of the latter type, there are only two: “Prodigal Son” & “Murders in the Rue Morgue”). And considering that the band had only around nine months within a busy schedule to form these songs into a solid release, I suppose it’s understandable that it’s not up to par with the record that preceded it. Actually, I think it’s their least enjoyable album of the 80’s if not for several standout tracks and a general feeling of cohesiveness.

What’s great about the album is that even though it doesn’t contain a classic Iron Maiden epic and it contains a number of sub-par tracks (especially in the second half), it’s a great illustration of how the whole can be considerably greater than the sum of its parts. Part of it is due to the record clocking in at a lean 41-minutes, which is a perfect length that didn’t feel overlong for the style that they were playing in those days. Another part of it is because the tracks stick tightly to a central thematic tone and also because the songs flow seamlessly and easily as they are sequenced, which gives the album that prevalent atmosphere of chilling darkness that the listener is easily drawn into.

The opening instrumental works as an overture to set the tone by blending thrilling rhythm with suspenseful groove and a bit of melancholy melodies before the frantically intense bassline of “Wrathchild” enters in an opportune moment to one’s blood pumping. From then on, it’s a ride that is mostly fierce and sinister, timely injected with soft somber interludes, but – from the cover to the content – always retains that dark and menacing atmosphere.

It’s a deeply flawed album in terms of material with the best ones at front as the quality drops steeply until the album ends; but at the same time, it’s an album that grows on the listener and is not as disappointing as initially thought. All the same, contrary to the opinion of most fans, I do think that Iron Maiden was a victim of the phenomenon known as “the sophomore slump.”

Re: Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown - Album #11

valacirca said:
As I vaguely remember Steve Harris saying in one interview, a musician’s debut record is usually made up of the best songs that he’s spent his whole life perfecting. Then after the initial success, being thrust into the spotlight and doing whirlwind tours, you’re suddenly required to come up with a new album and you end up scrambling to either come up with new material or refine compositions that weren’t good enough for the previous record.

Hmm, hard to imagine Steve said that (read on).  

valacirca said:
That’s exactly how Killers feels: Like a combination of songs that weren’t good enough for the debut and songs that were put together in a hurry so that they could release a new album (although of the latter type, there are only two: “Prodigal Son” & “Murders in the Rue Morgue”).

Steve certainly would disagree with you.
Look at this quote from the official biography (where he literally opposes your words):

"... Production-wise, it was chalk and cheese, compared with the first album," says Steve. "As for the quality of the songs, I think you could argue that the first album was the strongest, but I tend to disagree, really. The thing was, the first album was like a 'best of' from our live set, songs which went back years. It was difficult to choose which ones to do, and there were some really good ones that got left off. I mean, 'Wrathchild' had been in the set from the start, but that got left off, and that was an amazing song live. So, after the first album, we still had a lot of really good, strong songs, and we really didn't want to lose them. I mean, what are we gonna do, put them on a B-side or whatever? You can't. They're not B-side songs. They were good enough to go on an album, so that's what we did. After that, though, that was it, there was no more, and we needed to write a whole load of new material for the next album... "

I prefer the debut album as well.

By the way, I enjoyed reading your review! I am curious about the next ones.

Forostar said:
Hmm, hard to imagine Steve said that (read on).
I'll have to rewatch "Iron Maiden: The Early Years" to refresh my memory on what was actually said and who said it, although I'm pretty sure that was the general idea. I'll get back to you on that.

You might be right of course. I haven't seen that DVD in ages. I need to see it soon again, it's one of the most satisfying Maiden releases.

Abas said:
I find it very strange that Flash of the Blade is ranked higher than Sea of Madness.

And yes, I do consider Powerslave as a filler album.

I like both of those songs and wished they were higher, but I think we outta give Vala a break here.  His approach does have both negative and positive reviews of these bottom 50 songs.

When Foro started using the daily song thread to score albums, I think it sparked some discussion on whether the method was flawed.
The criticism was that it failed to take into account qualities like overall album themes and cohesiveness.
I'm not sure that is proving to be the case, but if you need an example it would be Killers.
This, for reasons you articulate quite well, is an album that is better than the sum of its songs.
For me, it has no 10s and probably five songs in the bottom third of the catalogue.
As an album, I love it.

Ahhhh... Killers......my first introduction to the music and the artwork and all things Maiden.  The wayward nights of youth kickin' around town with my Killers cassette always at the ready.  The Dark, powerful album that changed my life.  Forever.  And here it is, number 11 in the countdown.  Ouch.
      I must let personal feelings subside.  True it is not the best group of songs the band has put out.  But oh how I love every single rain sogged, English evening under the gaslamp, watch out behind you, screaming for mercy second of this masterpiece.  I listen to this album as often as any other still to this day.  And the memories always return.  Gotta be top 7 at least for me.

bornless1 said:
Ahhhh... Killers......my first introduction to the music and the artwork and all things Maiden.  The wayward nights of youth kickin' around town with my Killers cassette always at the ready.  The Dark, powerful album that changed my life.  Forever.  And here it is, number 11 in the countdown.  Ouch.
      I must let personal feelings subside.  True it is not the best group of songs the band has put out.  But oh how I love every single rain sogged, English evening under the gaslamp, watch out behind you, screaming for mercy second of this masterpiece.  I listen to this album as often as any other still to this day.  And the memories always return.  Gotta be top 7 at least for me.

I love that description!

Interesting initial review on Killers.  I do agree agree on a few points, but I've always been in the minority as I think the first album is basically crap (aside, from phanton, free, and the ubiquitous title track) and that Killers was vastly superior. Killers, like SIT, is a 'forgotten' album that was sandwiched between the the nostaligic juggernauts of the 80s.  I do agree with previous posts that Killers really is more about the sum of its parts...anyway, to each their own.  I'm curious to see the rest of the albums ranked.

It's always interesting to see how each new generation ranks Maiden albums.  I remember Killers being absolutely loved back in the 80s...but then again, we didn't have the internet to read divergent viewpoints and maybe nostalgia has also blinded me...

Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown - Songs #100 - 98

We're into the middle 50 now... whew.

100. Look for the Truth (The X Factor) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otiiq6kt5Wc
"Here is the dream that makes monsters of men"

While I have gotten slightly annoyed at the unyielding “oh whooaaa oh oh” anthem, there's no denying two things: That this song features one of Blaze's most noteworthy performances for the band, and that the songwriting here is piercingly haunting. One would think that because of these strengths, that first minute and a half would be especially poignant for its morose balladry. I thought it was a bit draggy to be honest. However, once the song starts to bare its fangs and settle into an intense and angry groove, it proves to be a fairly enjoyable track.

99. Charlotte the Harlot (Iron Maiden) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB6YZyqU58w
"There was a time when you left me standing there picking up pieces of love off the floor"

Good thing the band decided to do a breakdown into a melodic ballad midway through... best part of the song, hands down. If not for that and the ensuing guitar explosion, this track would have definitely been mediocre due to the forgettable verses and uninteresting riffs. Although it does have that ballsy attitude, the bluesy speed metal sound simply doesn't feel too involving early on. As it turns out though, the second half of the song, the generally insane catchiness of the chorus, plus the subtle complexity with the sudden shifts in tempo, rhythm and style give Charlotte a big boost.

98. Only the Good Die Young (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Gtsukhh8A
"Only the good die young  – all the evil seem to live forever"

If the general idea of my review for Killers was that it felt greater than the sum of its parts, my thesis for this one is the exact opposite. Maybe it has something to do with how I feel that the verses are somewhat detached from the rest of the song, or possibly because I'm not the biggest fan of the chaotic way they chose to do the outro. Either way, even with a classic galloping beat, a warlike attack, engagingly catchy riffs, an especially blistering solo and one of the better choruses the band has put together, this just comes up short, and I'm not merely referring to song length. Speaking of length though, if there was an Iron Maiden album that should have ended with a grandiose and epic closer, I'd definitely think it should have been Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. With all the sprawling imagery and conceptual writing that the band managed to do, it baffles me why they chose to close it with what I consider as a rocker that pales in comparison to the rest of the material in that album.

I dunno about OTGDY, it gives a nice closer feeling to a fantastic album. Maybe it should have went out with a bang, maybe even with SSoaSS, but it would have felt different then.

valacirca said:
Speaking of length though, if there was an Iron Maiden album that should have ended with a grandiose and epic closer, I'd definitely think it should have been Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. With all the sprawling imagery and conceptual writing that the band managed to do, it baffles me why they chose to close it with what I consider as a rocker that pales in comparison to the rest of the material in that album.

I won't comment on your placement of the three, I would probably agree.  But this I disagree with; I have always felt Only the Good Die Young finishes Seventh Son perfectly, and only a few others (e.g. The Legacy/AMOLAD) do it as well.  A first-time listener who knew Maiden would be expecting an epic, but instead they get an in-your-face rocker with lyrics that reflect perfectly on the album story.  I know you don't judge lyrics much, but in this case they, and the placement within the album, cause this song to be much more than the sum of its parts.  Song length is not everything; Only the Good Die Young is as long as it needs to be.

Okay first "look for the truth"?  Whatever.  IMO the song belongs back in the 130s.  I do  like the intro and the "Children of the Damned" feeling it has..but then... eh.  Charlotte Is  one of my least favorite Paul songs. Great NAME for a song, and I love the slow center part as well.   Only the Good is a great rocker, but is among the weakest from SS.  Great description of the solo..'Blistering'! Good placement here at the beginning of the top 100.  Keep up the great work Val.   And happy holidays from the beautiful U.S Southwest!! The suspense is building............

Valacirca, I give you praise for a great thread. Most of your descriptions so far have been fairly accurate, and most songs seem to be in their rightly place. Personally, I'd of had Only the Good Die Young somewhere in my top 20, but I am a Seventh Son worshipper.  :ok:

Vortex said:
Personally, I'd of had Only the Good Die Young somewhere in my top 20, but I am a Seventh Son worshipper.  :ok:
I'm guessing in that case, most of the songs from the album would be in your Top 20? :p

valacirca said:
I'm guessing in that case, most of the songs from the album would be in your Top 20? :p

Pretty much, with the exception of Can I Play With Madness, which would probably come in around mid 50's.

Back