Death Metal

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
There you go, Sixes :D

To start things off, here's a kinda doomy death metal song, with lots of melodies and a great atmosphere.

I've been recently getting into Vader. Here's a good live video:

I've also been really digging the tech death stuff like Cynic and Atheist. As far as newer stuff goes, I'm still loving the new Septicflesh album. This is my favorite song by far:

Another unusual band... music is pure death metal, but vocals are clean & heavymetallish throughout the entire album.

It's quite catchy.

It's original! And the music shows some craftmanship as well.
But to be honest, to me it "proves" why grunts and screams are legitimate tools for extreme music genres. It feels as if it fits better.

Reactions: Yax
That works...but maybe because the vocals are almost being drowned out. It sounds like the singer is contending with the music just to be heard. If the vocals stood out more clearly they could sound misplaced.

It's original! And the music shows some craftmanship as well.
But to be honest, to me it "proves" why grunts and screams are legitimate tools for extreme music genres. It feels as if it fits better.
I bet Testament style vocals could go well with this though.

I think Deicide is my favorite Death metal band. Suffocation a close second. ALso Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, and Obituary. That'd be my top 5.

I think Deicide is my favorite Death metal band. Suffocation a close second. ALso Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, and Obituary. That'd be my top 5.

You're a Florida man, eh?

I live in New York, but those are bands I've listened to since high school and were always favorites of mine.

Strong interview with Ed Warby. Best interview I've read in ages. Very insightful. I love how he "became" a death metal drummer and his stories about the past with some legendary names are priceless. Recommended, especially if you know Gorefest or other things the man has done!
http://towardstheinevitable.com/ed-warby-interview-2015/

Here a side-step to the black metal scene:

TTI:
There was some controversy between you and late Mayhem’s frontman Euronymous right about that time. Can you please reflect briefly on that episode?

Ed:
We heard we were supposedly on this death list that he’d compiled, because we had the nerve to play death metal without the required gory or satanic lyrics. So when we visited Norway on the Deicide tour sure enough Euronymous was there, in fact he was playing music in the club that night. Jan-Chris and Boudewijn confronted him after the gig and he assured them that Gorefest was at the bottom of the list so we wouldn’t die that night. Of course, we all know what happened to him soon after that. The whole inner circle thing is why I never really got into black metal, I love music dearly but to take it that seriously is just insane.

edit:
Another part I partically like (also for the people who have problems with grunts:
@mckindog and @Cornfed Hick ):

TTI: I think that important segment of Gorefest’s legacy, apart from the actual music, is the fact that the band featured one of the greatest death metal singers, lead guitarists and drummers of all time, and I would like take some time and properly praise each and every one of you. Let’s start with Jan-Chris and his singing. Up to this day, I’m not sure if I have ever heard any death metal vocalist who was able to attain such a growling depth and to simultaneously deliver the lyrics with such an impeccable pronunciation of every single word. In addition, I have always thought that his growling had a unique color, just like every regular person’s voice has a certain color.

Ed: For many fans his best performance is on False, and I also feel that way. He’s done some great stuff over the years, but he never sounded as angry and as aggressive as he did on that one. But while a lot of death metal vocalists sound the same, Jan-Chris was always immediately recognizable and you could actually hear what he was growling, which helped us in getting accepted by the more mainstream crowd. And he never ever lost his voice, even when we were touring heavily, which was quite amazing.

TTI: As for Boudewijn and his playing, I must say that I have always found the sound of his distorted Gibson to be incredibly distinctive and personal. Also, his signature soloing style was something immediately recognizable and I honestly think he is one of the all time greatest death metal guitarists. What is your take on that?

Ed: The thing with Boudewijn is that he never saw himself as a death metal guitarist, rather a classic rock one and that’s where his strength lies. His soloing is pure ’70s guitar worship. When we made False, he hadn’t done any lead work before, so Colin really pushed him to come up with good, memorable solos and after that he blossomed into a real lead guitarist.

TTI: And last but not least, your drumming in Gorefest. Without any false modesty, you were, and still are, one of those very few drummers a music fan should turn itself to when in need of some proper, top-notch, first class death metal drumming, that is both technically demanding and soulful at the same time. I still listen to False and Erase on a regular basis, and some of your fills and sequences on those two I just can never grow tired of, after almost 20 years of listening to them. How about yourself? Are you able to step aside, at least sometimes, and to look upon yourself and your life’s work objectively? Can you appreciate your own musical accomplishments?

Ed: Thank you man, you’re making me blush here (laughs). I’m extremely critical of my own work but sometimes I’m able to listen to a track and think well done Ed. I’m glad you feel it’s timeless and soulful, that’s the biggest compliment I can get. It’s how I feel about the drumming of my favorites, memorable breaks and fills, or grooves that stay with you. You can call it personality I guess, and that’s worth more than technique in my book. Of course, I’m proud of what I’ve done over the years. Every once in a while I hear an older album that I played on and haven’t heard for a while and it’s almost like listening to someone else. Then I can appreciate it more than when I analyze it as something I played.

Last edited:
Strong interview with Ed Warby. Best interview I've read in ages. Very insightful. I love how he "became" a death metal drummer and his stories about the past with some legendary names are priceless. Recommended, especially if you know Gorefest or other things the man has done!
http://towardstheinevitable.com/ed-warby-interview-2015/
Nice, that's actually a Serbian webzine afaik :D

Wish there was some talk about his work with Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, Star One etc) tho.

Have you guys heard (of) Nocturnus? Original band. They were known for their science-fiction themed lyrics and use of keyboards, both of which were virtually unknown in extreme metal at the time.

Mike Browning fronted the band. He was the drummer & vocalist. He was a former member of Morbid Angel (1984-1986).

The first two albums were pretty good. Especially the first is seen as a classic in the genre. I prefer the second slightly, and it also has fantastic artwork. :--)

The Key (1990):
640.jpg

Whole album:
Tresholds (1992):
646.jpg

Whole album:

I love these two songs especially. The first starts Helloweenish! and the latter has this sci-fi, mysterious atmosphere, and technical (bass!) playing:

Also, for new DM I believe this song should be in here (even if it's not really "new" anymore).This is Amon Amarth X 100!! :D

Back