Dave Murray

CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Meme Only Account
Pretty much every other band member, past &/or present, has a named thread in this section of the forum. I know Dave hasn't really done a great deal outside of Maiden, but I think a thread dedicated to anything Dave orientated should sit here, in the Solo/Side Project Discussion, along with everyone else.

A couple of thread searches bring up a few old "Dave Murray" threads:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/dave-murray.20329/ (Gear)
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/dave-murray.20325/ (Picks) [Thread closed]
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/dave-murray.8028/ (On stage behaviour)
And there's a few birthday threads, etc, too; nothing particularly noteworthy.

There's probably not enough Dave chat to really justify this thread, but I thought it would be nice if it was all in the one place.

With this in mind, let's get started...
... with a Nicko video! :lol:
And for those who're interested (& disinterested in all that geeky drum shit! ), Dave is at ~1:25:00...

Some quality Dave lead work (~1:28:20) from the early nineties! :notworthy:
How do you like that tone, @Saapanael? I like it! :ok:

Last edited:
And something to watch...

Some Maiden classics revisited:
"Early Days" tour (Eddie Rips Up World Tour): Ullevi Stadium, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2005:

Last edited:
There's probably not enough Dave chat to really justify this thread, but I thought it would be nice if it was all in the one place.
That's indeed a wish that might be hard to realise in another way and I appreciate your initiative (and fanboyism ;-). However, and I do not mean to be picky, but these threads were really distinguishly meant for outside Maiden related talk. Perhaps it's sad that his action outside Maiden (and other Maiden member projects) is (and probably will stay) nihil. I have no say in this, but I thought it is a bit inconsequent (putting it mildly). No offense, just voicing my opinion. :ok:

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Sure Dave doesn't do much outside of Maiden, but no reason why we can't have a thread for him to discuss his gear, style, and such. I know it's technically not what this subforum is meant for, but is it really hurting anyone?

I welcome a Dave thread if there isn't one already. There was a good video posted a while back of Dave playing with someone else.

Just giving an opinion. Not a big deal.

Apart from that, I don't think everyone will use this when they want to talk about Dave (it will be hard to get it all in one place). That doesn't hurt anyone either, but the goal won't be reached.

That's indeed a wish that might be hard to realise in another way and I appreciate your initiative (and fanboyism ;-). However, and I do not mean to be picky, but these threads were really distinguishly meant for outside Maiden related talk. Perhaps it's sad that his action outside Maiden (and other Maiden member projects) is (and probably will stay) nihil. I have no say in this, but I thought it is a bit inconsequent (putting it mildly). No offense, just voicing my opinion.
Well, yeh, you're right, he has done literally nothing official outside of Maiden. But the first post was within your guidelines, was it not? :p

Look, Foro, I know what you're saying; but all the other threads are dump areas for general discussion of other members anyway; I just wanted Dave to have a thread too. You do accept, regardless of what they should be used for, that this is what most of the other threads are used for, right? Besides, Blaze, Dennis (Stratton), Clive, & Paul (Di'Anno) all have their own threads in this Solo/Side Project Discussion section of the forum --when none of these guys are even in Maiden! Hardly consistent.
Apart from that, I don't think everyone will use this when they want to talk about Dave (it will be hard to get it all in one place). That doesn't hurt anyone either, but the goal won't be reached.
You're such a defeatist...:innocent:

I appreciate your comments though! :lol:

------------------------------------------------------------------
I welcome a Dave thread if there isn't one already.
There wasn't one.
There was a good video posted a while back of Dave playing with someone else.
Find it! And post it here! :D

Last edited:
How about we actually talk about Dave? :p

I've come to really appreciate his lead tone in the past few years. I think it's cool how he "adapts" to whoever the other guitarists are in the band. To this day I can hear him taking influence from both Adrian and Janick in both his tone and his playing style while still remaining undeniably Dave. I felt his playing was starting to decline a bit since the reunion with only one or two memorable solos per album but he really bumped it up a notch on The Final Frontier I think. Every solo he plays on that album is really great I think. Looking forward to seeing if that continues on album #16!

He hasn't stood out that much since the reunion as far as recordings go, but the twice I've seen Maiden live, it was Dave's playing that jumped out for me. Such a great sound.

^ This ! And we should not forget he is writing on a more regular basis these days (or I should say, we've got songs of his on each album). I hope to hear a couple of his songs with Steve on the next album. He is a great songwriter, who delivers great riffs.

He always stood out the most when I saw them live. The man's solo sound is as present as Eddie Trunk in his interviews. You can't get around him.

Very cool, though I still don't know why they continue to make "signature" guitars with only 21 frets. I know that's standard for a strat, but Dave always plays 22 fret strats. Don't know how you even play some of his leads without that 22.

I didn't know Strats were often 21 fret. My Pacifica has 22, and I assumed it was more a less a copy of a bog standard Strat but with one of two little tweaks.

In the book Outside Iron Maiden the author mentions that singer Mickey Modern claims Dave Murray plays on these two tracks:

Two line-ups are mentioned in the book, each with two guitarists, one of them being:

Reggie Mental (Dave Murray).
Dave Murray is not credited on this single because he left the band just before the official release
It's hard to recognize him, especially in the first track, although the harmony in the end does ring a bell! The last one, the b-side of the single, has some wild background soloing. First I thought I heard something of Dave but later I thought it isn't that recognizable anymore. Or is it?

Last edited:
Very cool, though I still don't know why they continue to make "signature" guitars with only 21 frets. I know that's standard for a strat, but Dave always plays 22 fret strats. Don't know how you even play some of his leads without that 22.

Exactly, it's weird. Tons of solos in Metal, be it Maiden or someone else, use the 22nd fret on the high E, it's 22 vs 24 where the difference isn't that great anymore.

24 frets makes a pretty huge difference, not so much because of the two extra notes but the 21st and 22nd frets feel much more comfortable. It makes leads in that register much easier to play, especially fast John Petrucci type stuff.

Back