Dante's inferno

Dante was indeed exiled from his home city of Florence, and it was in exile that he wrote The Divine Comedy. I do not think he was literally alone - he was just living in a different city. I am not, however, 100% sure about this.

Yes, much of the Inferno is political commentary about the politics of Florence and the Catholic Church. He placed his political enemies in the various circles of his hell to point out what he viewed as their sins. It's mostly about Florence, but there was one pope he didn't like (can't remember which one) who he also placed in hell.

hmmm, probably Alexander VI... A LOT of people didn't like him. In fact there were political cartoons calling him the anti-christ, I have to verify dates though.

Purgatory

You have escaped damnation and made it to Purgatory, a place where the dew of repentance washes off the stain of sin and girds the spirit with humility. Through contrition, confession, and satisfaction by works of righteousness, you must make your way up the mountain. As the sins are cleansed from your soul, you will be illuminated by the Sun of Divine Grace, and you will join other souls, smiling and happy, upon the summit of this mountain. Before long you will know the joys of Paradise as you ascend to the ethereal realm of Heaven.

Finally! a test which conservative Christians can do well in!

LOL, Don't worry duke, we'll make sure Purgatory is party central which will make all of those in circle 6 envious which will ensure their place in the pit of darkness [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Level Who are sent there? Score
Purgatory Repenting Believers Very Low
Level 1 - Limbo Virtuous Non-Believers Very Low
Level 2 Lustful High
Level 3 Gluttonous High
Level 4 Prodigal and Avaricious Very High
Level 5 Wrathful and Gloomy Very High
Level 6 - The City of Dis Heretics Very High
Level 7 Violent Extreme
Level 8- the Malebolge Fraudulent, Malicious, Panderers Very High
Level 9 - Cocytus Treacherous High

mwhahaha

[!--QuoteBegin-IronDuke+Jun 20 2005, 06:28 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Jun 20 2005, 06:28 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Finally! a test which conservative Christians can do well in!
[snapback]109312[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 20 2005, 07:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 20 2005, 07:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]LOL, Don't worry duke, we'll make sure Purgatory is party central which will make all of those in circle 6 envious which will ensure their place in the pit of darkness [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]109315[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Given a choice between a "place in the pit of darkness" or spending eternity with conservative Christians, I'll enthusiastically choose the darkness every time.

TURN OUT THAT LIGHT!

[!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Baxer van Deris+Jun 23 2005, 05:33 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Baxer van Deris @ Jun 23 2005, 05:33 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Burn, heretics that you all are !
[snapback]109664[/snapback]​
[/quote]

hmm you should check the posts again buddy, very few people are in LEVEL 6 [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Jun 21 2005, 03:43 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Jun 21 2005, 03:43 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Given a choice between a "place in the pit of darkness" or spending eternity with conservative Christians, I'll enthusiastically choose the darkness every time.

[snapback]109317[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 25 2005, 06:44 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 25 2005, 06:44 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]hmm you should check the posts again buddy, very few people are in LEVEL 6 [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]109826[/snapback]​
[/quote]

yeah, well there are still enough heretics to keep me warm for the winter ...
And I'm sort of heretic too by the way....

I made it to level five!

I wonder if Ill be with the people running around naked biting and scratching eachother, or the people wallowing in the black mud of despair?

Back