Dance of Death - re-imagined

Reading the reactions (Forostar's ones most of all), I'd like to hear the stuff to, although you seem to have strange ideas on some points. I'll give you my address in a PM, so if you bother to give me the link, I will listen closely. Thanks.

I don't think posting fan remixes is against the rules. Lemme read.

(Having written the majority of them, you'd think I'd know off the top of my head.)

Yeah, it's cool to share your remixes here. As far as I'm concerned, making a remix is the same as making a fan video, as long as it's not being sold for profit. That rule exists to prohibit the sharing on this website of copyrighted material.

Yeah, post the link. Or can someone send it to me via PM, I'd really like to hear what moodyman did, and I think most of us share the opinion that the mastering/production job on DOD wasn't the best effort ever.

Moodyman, I hear a lot of clipping (I'm listening to Paschendale, downloading others), I believe it's due to you trying to amplify some frequencies? I also think that the kick is too loud in the mix. How did you manage to remove the orchestration in the first part of the song? I love how you amplified Bruce's backing vocals at the end. Also, love the "boom" sound at the end. Did you add reverb to Bruce's vocals during the intro or is that due to extracting his vocals from the 5.1 mix?

Also, I don't have the 5.1 version of the album so I'm curious - I don't think that each instrument has its own separate channel, so how did you manage to extract them?

I'd love to hear it, very curious. It'll have to wait until I'm home and have a computer with some sound on it

Moodyman, I hear a lot of clipping (I'm listening to Paschendale, downloading others), I believe it's due to you trying to amplify some frequencies? I also think that the kick is too loud in the mix. How did you manage to remove the orchestration in the first part of the song? I love how you amplified Bruce's backing vocals at the end. Also, love the "boom" sound at the end. Did you add reverb to Bruce's vocals during the intro or is that due to extracting his vocals from the 5.1 mix?

Also, I don't have the 5.1 version of the album so I'm curious - I don't think that each instrument has its own separate channel, so how did you manage to extract them?
Hey Ranko. Are there any particular parts of the song that you hear the clipping? I can investigate a bit further although the master didn't touch the red. I guess there could have been an oversight on the individual tracks where one or two of them are clipping. Just as a side note, the original release clips and is constantly in the red. Load it into Sound Forge or Wavelab and you'll see it.

In terms of the kick; I agree to a point. The kick is very prominent but I like it that way, as Paschendale is a rhythmical song I feel it needs the punch. I concede that it may be a bit OTT for some tastes however!

I only have the six tracks to work with and some of them have up to three instruments on them so I have to compromise and use EQ carefully and respectfully. The vocal is mostly on its own track but the solos are on there as well. So I removed the solos and put them on separate tracks so that I could manipulate the vocals and solos seperately. That's the kinda thing I did with all of the tracks.

For Bruce vocals, yes there is reverb used. The original vocal is dry...way too dry! That's one of my major beefs with post-Birch vocal production (except BNW) is that the vocals are always too close no matter if the song suits it or not. Maiden should sound big with a big stereo spread. I'm sure you all agree out there?!

Anyway thanks for the props Ranko and i'll investigate the clipping thing.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure if it's clipping, but it just sounds like it. Could just be artifacts due to EQ manipulation, I didn't pull it through Sound Forge. Anyway, interesting work! Too bad they didn't issue stem tracks for the album like Dream Theater did for the last two albums, that would have made it much easier.

Also, I've been frequently thinking of another potentially interesting project - mastering A Matter of Life and Death, as it was released unmastered. I don't have the knowledge or the equipment, but it's always seemed like an interesting thing to try. But again, AMOLAD sounds pretty decent, although TFF has the best mastering job of the recent ones.

About Maiden sounding big: absolutely - I think Shirley managed it on TFF pretty well?

Nice effort moodyman!!
You have very good ideas.
Montsegur sounds probably better than the original and I got the feeling that if you were really producing the album, Dance of Death would be better too. It was awesome your idea to minimise the instruments in the intro , but obviously you would need some additional guitar there to make it sound real better. And I love the added part in the very start :ok:

Nice effort moodyman!!
You have very good ideas.
Montsegur sounds probably better than the original and I got the feeling that if you were really producing the album, Dance of Death would be better too. It was awesome your idea to minimise the instruments in the intro , but obviously you would need some additional guitar there to make it sound real better. And I love the added part in the very start :ok:
Hey ______no5. Glad you liked the tracks and understood what i was trying to do with Dance of Death. Thank you very much for the kind words.

Incidentally i will be going through the whole album so if anyone cares about which track i should tackle next just let me know. Otherwise i'll just randomly pick! Won't be til weekend though!

Face in the Sand -I'm sure you'll have some good propositions there ;)
Also Journeyman seems quite a challenge.

Yessss, Face in the Sand. That would work with the kind of makeover you've given the others.

A couple thoughts:

1. Paschendale sounds better, more dynamic range and greater separation of the instruments. I'd have kept the hi-hat, though! ;) Haven't downloaded the others because...

2. Legality: No question this is a derivative work of the original sound recording, and as such it probably infringes the copyright in the original, at least under U.S. law. Not sure if there are fair use defenses, and unless shared widely it is not likely to attract attention, but proceed with caution. I wouldn't make think link available publicly or on a widespread basis if I were you.

3. Re Ranko's post about clipping/Death Magnetic -- There is clipping on the (poorly mastered) originals, so even a remix using those tracks is going to replicate that clipping. Unless you get the original tapes and remaster them at a lower volume, that can't really be helped. That is what the Guitar Hero version of Death Magnetic did -- it went to the original tapes, which weren't clipped, and remastered (maybe remixed) them at a sensible volume.

4. AMOLAD is by far the best-sounding of the Kevin Shirley releases, probably because no one screwed up the mastering because they released the raw mix.

I liked the DoD acoustic sound better in this mix, the "walking" sounds personally I think I would do without - but I can certainly see the merit in their inclusion. They mix well with the faded intro and I think would work fantastically with a music video, just not so much with a purely audio track (for me at least, some tracks things like that work on and others not so much).

Haven't listened to any of the others yet.

Back