Dance of Death - re-imagined

moodyman79

Prowler
Hello everyone.

Okay. I've been remixing Dance of Death from the 5.1 tracks and was wondering if anyone would like to hear what I have done? The reason I have been doing this is because I despise the mix of DOD and find it hard to listen to! I'm sure i'm not the only one who hates how the album sounds but digs the tunes. So really it is just for my own pleasure. However I have been really pleased how the tracks have turned out and thought maybe you ladies and gentlemen out there in Maiden land might like to hear a different take on the DOD tracks.

So far I have done Montsegur, Dance of Death, Gates of Tomorrow and Paschendale. All tracks sound a lot punchier and cleaner. I have taken some artistic license with DOD and Paschendale such as adding some atmospherics into DOD and getting rid of the pointless hi-hat phrase in Paschendale.

Anyway...if anyone wants to hear these let me know and i'll upload them somewhere.

Thanks!

It sure sounds interesting. But is this legal?
Mmm. I didn't think I was 'breaking the law'. The recording is owned by Maiden - i'm just playing with it. What about the guys on You Tube that make great videos for Maiden tunes? Are they law breakers?

Anyway just thought i'd share what i had done if anyone cared - but no worries.

My email is in my profile, it isn't against the rules if you send me a private message.

It sure sounds interesting. But is this legal?

I know that a lot of people remixed the Guitar Hero stems to Metallica's Death Magnetic to get past the shitty overloud mix on that album. I believe that the label denounced it as an unauthorized fan mix, and the band denied that there was anything wrong with the production in the first place, but it's still pretty openly available online. So the point of this story is that this won't be the first time this happens but that I don't know if it's legal, but that I can guess that EMI won't be overjoyed about it. From a personal moral standpoint, I have an unauthorized fan mix of that album but I only downloaded it after buying the album for real.

In any case, this isn't a bad idea, but I would personally not appreciate creative license with the music, I think that fan remixes should be limited to fixing shitty production and not to changing parts of the songs that they dislike. But, I think Dance of Death should be at best third in line for such a remix, after the two Steve Harris produced albums. However, I don't suppose the necessary resources are available to do a proper edit on those albums.

In any case, go ahead and send me a link; I'd be interested to check it out.

I know that a lot of people remixed the Guitar Hero stems to Metallica's Death Magnetic to get past the shitty overloud mix on that album. I believe that the label denounced it as an unauthorized fan mix, and the band denied that there was anything wrong with the production in the first place, but it's still pretty openly available online. So the point of this story is that this won't be the first time this happens but that I don't know if it's legal, but that I can guess that EMI won't be overjoyed about it. From a personal moral standpoint, I have an unauthorized fan mix of that album but I only downloaded it after buying the album for real.

In any case, this isn't a bad idea, but I would personally not appreciate creative license with the music, I think that fan remixes should be limited to fixing shitty production and not to changing parts of the songs that they dislike. But, I think Dance of Death should be at best third in line for such a remix, after the two Steve Harris produced albums. However, I don't suppose the necessary resources are available to do a proper edit on those albums.

In any case, go ahead and send me a link; I'd be interested to check it out.

Hey 425.

Okay. I'm sure everyone on this site has DOD. I have three copies: CD, vinyl and DVDA. As far as the creative license bit, as I said this is for my own pleasure and I don't think anyone should take it too seriously. I don't expect everyone to like what I have done: I am just a fan that thinks Maiden don't always get it right. In the case of the title track, the start is dry and has the same guitar parts layered over and over - which is not needed in my opinion. So I stripped this back. You can really hear the lovely acoustic tone as a result. As far as Paschendale - the hi-hat bit just slows the song down, especially as it keeps returning to it.

If some fans read this as arrogance on my part then fair enough. It's just what I would do if I was in the mixing chair!

I will send you the link 425.

Thanks.

You are welcome to leave a link in my inbox as well and I will certainly give them a listen! Dance of Death does sound very muddy and inaudible in places.

Thanks for the link! Just heard Montsegur and it sounds better. Not sure how to define it, or how you did it, but it does. Also, I noticed a backing vocal in the last chorus which I never noticed on the original. Perhaps I even forgot how the original goes, but did you change this? Did you remove something resulting in more room for the backing vocal?

Thanks for the link! Just heard Montsegur and it sounds better. Not sure how to define it, or how you did it, but it does. Also, I noticed a backing vocal in the last chorus which I never noticed on the original. Perhaps I even forgot how the original goes, but did you change this? Did you remove something resulting in more room for the backing vocal?
Hey Forostar.

That was added by me and was not in the original. Felt that there shoulda been a harmony on there so created one from Bruce's lead vocal.

Glad you like the mix. Let me know what you think of the others.

Paschendale is on now. The song indeed flows a bit better. I notice how the bass drums are more in the forefront (punchier indeed) and I also hear the guitar solos "closer". I think you put 'Arry's bass (and the orchestral stuff?) more in the back, am I right (just guessing)?

edit:
Will comment on the other two tomorrow!

Paschendale is on now. The song indeed flows a bit better. I notice how the bass drums are more in the forefront (punchier indeed) and I also hear the guitar solos "closer". I think you put 'Arry's bass (and the orchestral stuff?) more in the back, am I right (just guessing)?

edit:
Will comment on the other two tomorrow!
Because I only have six tracks to work with and some of them have two or more instruments on them I had to compromise at times. So the orchestral stuff may have sunk into the back unintentionally. I removed Arry's bass at the start because (in my own opinion!) he tends to play on every part of latter day Maiden tunes when sometimes the intros need to breathe.

Thanks for the feedback - just curious what other Maidenites think about my demolition job!

Back