Creative playlist ideas

Ascendingthethrone

Ancient Mariner
I’m not one normally one for playlists but they are nice to have on sometimes. Has anyone got some good ideas for Maiden playlists? The only one I have is ‘Maiden by 3’. This is where I am limited to 3 songs off each album.

I have some playlists, I might have more but these are what I remember:
  1. couple playlists consisting of setlists that I've seen played live,
  2. one playlist of Maiden Best Songs (36 songs),
  3. one playlist of Maiden Deep Cuts (25 songs),
  4. one playlist of Adrian Smith solos (15 songs, contains one BD-song),
  5. one playlist of Harris & Gers collaborations (12 songs)
Might have to think some other ideas...

I’m not one normally one for playlists but they are nice to have on sometimes.

It's pretty much the same for me! I sometimes make a few with loose themes, like heavy focus on 1992-1995 period, mixed up with some Dianno-era tunes and whatnot.

I also made a "Beast of the Beast" -ish playlist to "train" my partner for Maiden, haha! We were supposed to see the Legacy show in Gothenburg this summer, but as mentioned in other topic, plans made in 2019, for 2020 don't always come to fruition in 2022.

Something like a fresh mix of biggest classics along with a handful of centerpiece tunes from later decades. Obviously some major tunes get often left out due to not wanting to make it overblown. When it comes to Maiden playlists, I prefer more contained and paced ones over having a single, gigantic playlist that goes on a shuffle.

So, just to give ideas:
- Best of the Beast Modernized: Aces High, The Trooper, Wrathchild etc. beefed up with legendary cuts like Revelations, Infinite Dreams etc. and your favourites from the 1995-2021 bunch!
- All I see, are mysteries: If Eternity Should Fail, Moonchild, Revelations, Starblind... all the mysterious stuff, legends and other intriguing lyrical material with interesting arrangements mashed into one playlist. Huge Bruce input.
- Legacy of the Streets: Murders in the Rue Morgue, Killers, The Prisoner, Man on the Edge, 22 Acacia Avenue, Judas be My Guide, Be Quick or be Dead, Public Enema Number One... maybe throw in something like Still Life, Sea of Madness or The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg to add depth and diversity. Straightforward, "rooted" and somewhat rough and heavy Maiden tunes - as far as that goes, anyway.

But yeah, when I go running, I sometimes give a "spin" for FEAR FACTOR, which is roughly something like this:

1. Be Quick or be Dead
2. Public Enema Number One
3. Killers
4. Man on the Edge
5. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
6. Blood on the World's Hands
7. The Evil That Men Do (live)
8. The Edge of Darkness
9. Tailgunner
10. Fortunes of War
11. Lord of the Flies
12. Purgatory
13. Sign of the Cross
14. Judas be My Guide
15. No Prayer for the Dying
16. Fear of the Dark (live)

The obvious playlists are:

- all epics
- all short songs
- all Gers/Harris, Smith/Dickinson, Smith/Dickinson/Harris, Murray/Harris etc songs
- all album openers
- all album closers
- fast songs
- slow ''ballad-y type of'' songs
- Top 10 songs from every era
- Never played live songs
- songs without solos
- songs without chorus
- setlist from all tours
- the 20 most played songs live

Some creative ideas I like a lot:

- Songs with Ancient melodies: songs like Senjutsu, Stratego, Book Of Souls, If Eternity Should Fail, Death Of The Celts, The Prophecy, Nomad, Parchment, Powerslave, El Dorado etc. I'm a big fan of such melodies.

- Songs with long instrumental sections: they're mostly epics and they're always fascinating.

- The most catchy short song from every album: a great introduction to every piece of Maiden's history. Something like this:

1.Prowler
2.Wrathchild
3.Run To The Hills
4.Trooper
5.Aces High
6.Wasted Years
7.Only The Good Die Young
8.Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
9.Judas Be My Guide
10.Man On The Edge
11.Futureal
12.The Wicker Man
13.Rainmaker
14.Different World or The Pilgrim
15.The Final Frontier or The Alchemist
16.Death Or Glory
17.Days Of Future Past

- All I see, are mysteries: If Eternity Should Fail, Moonchild, Revelations, Starblind... all the mysterious stuff, legends and other intriguing lyrical material with interesting arrangements mashed into one playlist. Huge Bruce input.
- Legacy of the Streets: Murders in the Rue Morgue, Killers, The Prisoner, Man on the Edge, 22 Acacia Avenue, Judas be My Guide, Be Quick or be Dead, Public Enema Number One... maybe throw in something like Still Life, Sea of Madness or The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg to add depth and diversity. Straightforward, "rooted" and somewhat rough and heavy Maiden tunes - as far as that goes, anyway.
Try a playlist of your least favourites/less played Maiden songs of each album and play them just randomly.
^ Great suggestions. :ok: This thread can produce some great ideas. I hope so.

Last edited:
Here's another interesting idea.

The different worlds of Maiden:

classic heavy metal - Aces High
hard rock - Hooks In You
power metal - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
speed metal - Be Quick Or Be Dead
glam metal - Can I Play With Madness
folk metal - Death Of The Celts
progressive metal - The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
(power) ballad - Wasting Love/Darkest Hour or even Strange World
acoustic song - Journeyman
heavy song - The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
song with a symphonic metal vibe - Dance Of Death
song with a double bass pedal - Face In The Sand
song with a piano - Empire Of The Clouds
the sound of the ''early days'' type of song - Sanctuary

Actually, this is a pretty good selection of songs for a setlist.

My main playlist is an expanded version of Best of the Beast.

Basically I take the 4LP track list of Best of the Beast, and then try to imagine what would make the cut using the criteria established in the existing track list running up to Virus, with the occasional odd placement that exists in that track list. And since most singles made the cut, sorry haters, Angel and the Gambler is on there (though I use the single edit).

Here's what I went with down to Virus:

1) The Writing on the Wall
2) Stratego
3) Hell on Earth (very much a guess, since we haven't seen a full Senjutsu live set)
4) Speed of Light
5) The Red and the Black
6) The Book of Souls (from Live Chapter)
7) El Dorado
8) The Final Frontier (single edit)
9) For the Greater Good of God
10) The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
11) Journeyman (from Death on the Road)
12) Dance of Death
13) Blood Brothers
14) Wildest Dreams
15) The Wicker Man
17) The Clansman (from Rock in Rio)
18) The Angel and the Gambler (single edit)
19) Futureal
20) Virus
21+) and the rest of the BotB tracks

Then I've got two other playlists: one song per album, and then one deep cut gem per album.

Back