Votes: 14 9.3%
  • Iron Maiden ('98 Reissue)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Prayer For The Dying ('98 Reissue)

• Live At Donington ('98 Reissue)

• Total voters
I voted for BNW. But I like very much the piano tribute cover... ITS FANTASTIC even if it doesnt counts

I voted for "Somewhere in Time", because of the amazing artwork and all the maiden related things drawn into the setting.

I voted for Killers! Eddie is really mean and cool on that one!

I changed my mind. Can somebody move my vote from "Live At Donington" to "Brave New World"?

i agree, fear of the dark is awesome, its very original and unique and very well portrays the feeling of darkness and what our imaginations can create in the darkness

[!--QuoteBegin-Wicker Man+Sep 21 2005, 10:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Wicker Man @ Sep 21 2005, 10:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][SIZE=14
[right][snapback]119021[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

*sigh*

You know, I actually REALLY like the X Factor art work. It was a nice change of pace from the drawn art of past and present albums and also fit the mood of the album quite well.

DANCE OF DEATH!!!! Made faster than chocolate milk...

Actually...

Brave....New....World!!!!

Somewhere In Time, Killers and Number Of The Beast come close though

Powerslave followed by Somewhere in Time and Brave New World. I love the detail in each of them.

Honourably mentions: Killers, Live after Death

[span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\']Dance Of Death[/span]

You win Perun. It does look stupid.

Size 14. [!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Pineapple Hunter+Oct 24 2005, 10:29 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Oct 24 2005, 10:29 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][span style=\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\']Dance Of Death[/span]

You win Perun. It does look stupid.

Size 14. [!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]121156[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I know [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Have some M&Ms for consolation [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Sep 22 2005, 11:49 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Sep 22 2005, 11:49 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]*sigh*
[snapback]119055[/snapback]​
[/quote]
It was my first post, go easy on me.

I wonder why noone voted for Dance Of Death...our annonymous (Excuse my spelling on that one) artist has proven to have a good education in art.

What's with so many people voting for Powerslave? Have you even looked at other covers? Powerslave consists of two single sided drawings making up a separate front and back that only relate to each other trough their Egyptian theme.
In fact, this is the ONLY IM cover Riggs has done from NOTB until 7th Son that has NO single painting spanning both sides of the album cover!

Admittably, the front cover artwork on Powerslave is just great, really lush and detailed! But the back is visibly done in a great hurry and doesn't reflect the quality of the front-painting at all!

Why did Riggs suddenly decide on two different paintings on Powerslave? Why would he suddenly part from such a recognisable and high-quality style for just ONE album cover?

As we can all see for ourselves with Live After Death he had returned to the two-side spanning artwork style. He actually couldn't have done it differently because LAD originally had a double-slant LP cover. Opening it up would enable you to see the true magnificence of the "light objects on dark background" artwork that made for a really eerie experience, especially under a blacklight! And Live After Death is what I voted for in this poll.

Now back once more to Powerslave... I asked you why Derek did not do another double-sided painting when working on the Powerslave cover. I think I know the answer as it can be found on the PS cover itself!

First this: (almost) All CD cases and LP sleeves open on the right side. This means that in order to do a double-sided cover painting the front-part for your art has to be on the right side of your work as the LP sleeve or CD booklet folds to the back-part of the image over the left side.... I hope you're with me so far...

So... if we want to find any clues to whether Riggs originally intended to do a double-side album cover for Powerslave or not we will have to check the left portion of the FRONT cover.

Now what's on the left side of the front cover... "A mirror image of the right side" you'd say. Well, not quite... There's actually two things that lead me to presume Derek Riggs originally planned on doing another double sided cover-painting:

First clue: There's a larger part of the temple and the pyramid showing on the left side of the drawing then on the right. This might indicate that the complete drawing in fact stretches out further to the left. The first sign of an (attempt at an) double sided painting.

Second clue: This will take some investigation on your behalf! But do it and it will prove me right! Take every album cover from NOTB to 7th Son. I'll say it once more: These ALL have double sided cover-art, exept for Powerslave. But in addition to the supposedly missing rear-portion of the original Powerslave artwork, ANOTHER CRUCIAL THING IS MISSING! Something that MUST have been on the original left/rear-side of the artwork: THE SUN!!! All the mentioned albums have clear lightsources (open door, sun or moon) that cast shadows on and over the various objects in the paintings. Derek was always very precise with his use of lights and shadows! Now once again look at the front of Powerslave: There are lots of shadows, and they're all cast to the right, implying the lightsource must have been drawn somewhere on the left side (rear) of the painting... There is some image of a sun on the back of the cover but in this position the sun could never cast the shadows as shown on the front cover.

I think Riggs either may have tried to paint another double sided cover but simply wasn't able to finish it in time (hence the more crude style used for the rear-painting). Or he may have finished the complete cover but either IM management or Riggs himself did not deem it fit for printing. The truth shall probably remain as much a mystery as Derek's brand of underwear. [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My fave cover has to be [span style=\'color:red\']Killers. [/span]

Although the 1st and the Sanctuary cover are both a close second.

I don't think that Beast was a wrap a Round....the back is obviously an enlarged painting judging from the thickness of the airbrushing and the colours.

Another give away is the trimming of the lightning demon wings from the front which would of folded over to the back.

I hated those lame wings. Espeically on the RTTH single.

I'll have to take another look at the Piece art , but I think thats a bit trimmed/forced as well.....I'll get back on that one.

Powerslave and SomeWhere In Time were both phenomenal and I think after Seventh , Riggs burnt/Damaged himself completely, Never fully recovering on any Maiden art since.

Back