Coming Home

How good is Coming Home on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Coming Home

Wyrdskein said:
Coming Home is 10 times better than Hallowed Be Thy Name.

In some bizarro world maybe.  Coming Home is a fine and dandy song, but hardly a 10 and certainly nowhere near the brilliance of Hallowed Be Thy Name.

I think this is Maiden's best true ballad, beating Wasting Love, Strange World and Out of the Shadows. The lyrics are not cryptic, instead they are a honest and creative way of describing just what the title says - the feeling of coming home after a long journey. The solos are among the best on the album. 9/10.

It would be a great first encore song but unfortunately a lot of people wouldn't know it.

Shades of "Wasting Love" and certainly better than "Out of the Shadows", it's a very good tune. You can tell Bruce is really feeling this song, he's singing with oodles of passion. Both solos are perfect.

7/10.
Until very recently I thought this song was too cheesy, but it's grown on me a lot, thanks in part to being drawn in by the nice solos and that inviting little intro. Still can't get used to 'runway lights' finding their way into the lyrics, though.

Well, this is not a popular opinion, but I don't think this song is that strong. Yes it's a good song, lots of emotion and good melodies, but it doesn't do that much for me. I can't feel the song in the same way as many of you seems to do, and since the whole song is built on raw emotion, the experience for me becomes quite flat. Strong points are the solos, which suits the song and are great. The pre chorus is also good, it's the strongest part of the song.

A weak point on the album for me, and I definitely prefer Out Of The Shadows to this one.

6/10

Love the song.No redundant parts.Great vocals,solos and intro/middle/ending triple guitar work.

Really love this one. Playing it right now after a couple of Erdingers.

Well, this is not a popular opinion, but I don't think this song is that strong. Yes it's a good song, lots of emotion and good melodies, but it doesn't do that much for me. I can't feel the song in the same way as many of you seems to do, and since the whole song is built on raw emotion, the experience for me becomes quite flat. Strong points are the solos, which suits the song and are great. The pre chorus is also good, it's the strongest part of the song.

A weak point on the album for me, and I definitely prefer Out Of The Shadows to this one.

6/10

Same for me. Quote every words.

I dislike the intro it feels of beat. The verse is good. The chorus OK. Perhaps my 5th favorite of the album. 7/10.

I remember a lot of buzz around this song when the album came out. I enjoyed it a lot but it also wasn't one of my favorites the way it was for a lot of other people. This is probably one of the few songs where I'll say that the lyrics are better than the music. That's not to say the music is bad, just that the lyrics are really good. The song overall has grown on me since but it's Maiden playing with a style that they tried out a few times before and it's starting to sound a bit tired here. I do like the intro a lot and, again, the guitar solos on this are awesome. The three amigos really brought their A game on this album.

Side note: I'm 4 songs in and coming back to this after TBOS is really eye opening as far as Bruce's performances are concerned. If I didn't know any better, I would've guessed he's at least 5-10 years older on this album than he is on TBOS.

9/10

One of my absolute favourite power ballads by Maiden. You can tell that Bruce is really in to it on this song. The pre-chorus and chorus are magic, and once again terrific solos.

Probably the best ballad(ish) song that Maiden have ever done! Maiden are one of those rare bands that don't have typicall ballad songs (except Wasting Love) but there are few "slower" songs that I put into category ballad(ish) (Out of the Shadows, Journeyman, Como Estais Amigo etc.) and this one is definitely the best of them.

Maybe I'll start with the wrong note of praising this song when I say that I could live without that intro but it doesn't stand out in a wrong way so much that it lowers the grade of the song alltogether. And it's incredibly fun to play on guitar.
Trying to describe melodious verses would be a failed attempt so I will say this about them: I can't remember the last time when I heard the song that sounded so sincere! Lyrics and melody that Bruce sings are genuinly heartwarming. I believe (or want to believe) that the band puts heart in every song that it does in the studio but there is something about this one that makes me believe this one was the easiest to "connect" and in a way the closest that Maiden have "opened" themselves to fans. A perfect protrayal of their international conquests and that appeasable feeling of returning to your homeland.
The chorus is a great singalong but also very patriotic and Bruce at it's best.
I don't know if I'm right but at the current solo tournament on this forum I think 1st solo on Coming Home didn't get far and it amazes me why. It does recall on Hendrix's Little Wing little bit, but - if a person who doesn't pay attention to solo's that much immediately notices this one and becomes one of their favourites then that solo must have something special.

Off note - this may be and could've turn out as a complete cheese-fest but I really think they've should done video single with this one. There was an radio edit if I remember correctcly but I think CH could've done wonders with general public if they put their on stage and off stage memories from their current/past tours in a video with this song as a background. Or maybe somthing like Wasted Years video but 25 years after. There is still time, Coming Home is ideal soundtrack for their possible future DVD (?) that will sumarize their post-reunion era.

Back