• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rush
Clash
Sabbath
Cars

Hells Bells was unfortunate. I dislike AC/DC immensely but that song is really good.

Rush, though the Cars song is pretty good.
Clash. I love that song.
Sabbath. Neither song is all that great, but I like "Paranoid" a bit more.
Beatles, though once again the Cars song is pretty good.

Bells and Sawyer easy as classics.
Stone song sucks. Calling is very good.
Bye Bye Love is the better Cars song, but Let The Good Times Roll drew the weaker opponent. Get Back is OK, but not quite as good.

The only way someone votes Paranoid over AC/DC is because they like Sabbath and don't like AC/DC. Hells Bells may be the Aussies' best and is an all time great metal track — powerful and ominous. Paranoid is just a simple fun little song.

The Cars is one of those bands across the Atlantic that are virtually not listed in Classic rock lists in Europe (or at least in my country).

The Cars is one of those bands across the Atlantic that are virtually not listed in Classic rock lists in Europe (or at least in my country).

The were ridiculously popular in the '80s here. All over radio and MTV.
Their first album was about as good a pop-rock album as you will ever hear, and is real guilty pleasure.
They continued pumping out hits afterward, but nothing that ever connected with me.

The only way someone votes Paranoid over AC/DC is because they like Sabbath and don't like AC/DC. Hells Bells may be the Aussies' best and is an all time great metal track — powerful and ominous. Paranoid is just a simple fun little song.

My thought too...Sabbath is a much much better band...but in this particular matchup Hells Bells is a better song.

If AC/DC didn't have an annoying ass singer on that track, I'd be voting for it. I have to suffer through his irritating vocals to enjoy the music in the background.

Fair comment, I suppose and a good example of differences in taste.
As far as I am concerned, Brian Johnson sounds amazing on Back In Black.

Classic Rock Mega-Knockout: 512 to 256, Round 10 of 64

This round introduces the #55 seed and its challengers...

A55.png

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (The Beatles) [55] vs. "Hello Goodbye" (The Beatles) [458]
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (The Beatles) - 1968
Ranked by 9 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #40

"Hello Goodbye" (The Beatles) - 1967 - #1 US and UK
Ranked by 4 of 13 radio stations, highest in Washington DC: #174

"Fly Like An Eagle" (Steve Miller) [202] vs. "Dance The Night Away" (Van Halen) [311]
"Fly Like An Eagle" (Steve Miller) - 1976 - #2 US
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in New York City: #122

"Dance The Night Away" (Van Halen) - 1979 - #15 US
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Tampa: #108

"Jack And Diane" (John Mellencamp) [74] vs. "Fame" (David Bowie) [439]
"Jack And Diane" (John Mellencamp) - 1982 - #1 US, #25 UK
Ranked by 8 of 13 radio stations, highest in Atlanta: #45

"Fame" (David Bowie) - 1975 - #1 US, #17 UK
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Philadelphia: #182

"Tangled Up In Blue" (Bob Dylan) [183] vs. "Foxey Lady" (Jimi Hendrix) [330]
"Tangled Up In Blue" (Bob Dylan) - 1975 - #31 US
Ranked by 5 of 13 radio stations, highest in Pittsburgh: #10

"Foxey Lady" (Jimi Hendrix) - 1967 - #67 US
Ranked by 7 of 13 radio stations, highest in Boston: #217

One day left for Round 7
Also open: Round 8 , Round 9

Last edited:
My votes:

"Hello Goodbye" is a good song, but no way it's better than While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
The second pair is about even for me, but I'll go Miller. Fly Like An Eagle
Love the John Cougar song, never been a fan of that Bowie song. Easily Jack And Diane.
All respect to Jimi, but his only song that beats this Dylan song (IMO) was also written by Dylan. Tangled Up In Blue

It's cool how The Beatles could make a memorable song out of something as flimsy as "Hello Goodbye", but "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is clearly superior.
Two decent songs, pretty typical classic rock radio stuff. I like "Fly Like an Eagle" a bit more.
"Jack and Diane" doesn't do anything for me, so I'll go with "Fame".
I'll go further than SMX and say that no Hendrix song beats "Tangled Up in Blue".

Back