Classic Rock Clue Game III - Round 5 part 3

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
It's back! This time I compiled seven top-500 lists from recent years:
2014: St. Louis and Tulsa
2013: Atlanta, Boston, Philadelphia, NYC
2012: Washington DC

The resulting list should not be taken as a "greatest songs" list. Aside from the top 20 or so, these radio stations just dump their playlist into the rankings. They have to put "classics" evenly throughout to keep listeners: having a countdown that starts with 200 songs of filler isn't good for business. The list is more like "what US radio stations that call themselves 'classic rock' are playing now". For instance: "A Day in the Life", often considered one of the "greatest" songs, falls all the way to #287 here... and #1 is not "Stairway to Heaven".

If you're concerned that you don't listen to US radio, don't worry; most of these songs are quite famous. Out of the top 512 songs, here are the artists with 7 songs or more:
23 Led Zeppelin
19 Rolling Stones
18 Van Halen
15 Beatles
14 Aerosmith
13 Pink Floyd
12 Tom Petty
12 Who
11 AC/DC
11 U2
10 Doors
9 Boston
9 Eagles
9 Foreigner
8 Journey
8 Lynyrd Skynyrd
8 John Mellencamp
8 Queen
8 Rush
7 Bad Company
7 Cars
7 Guns N Roses
7 Steve Miller
7 Police
7 Bob Seger
7 Bruce Springsteen
7 Styx
If you know those famous artists, you're good to go.

Game rules:
On Thursdays, I will post ten new clues. I will then allow 48 hours for players to put in their initial guesses.

No more changing guesses if someone else has posted a guess for the same clue. You can change if your guess is the only one posted.

No more points for piggybacking: you get it right first or you get no points. It is now in your favor to guess a different song, on the chance that someone else is wrong.

After 48 hours, one point will be awarded for correct answers. For the other songs, I'll give another clue. The clues will be designed to keep it difficult; a second clue doesn't mean it gets easier. Another 48 hours for players to post guesses, and those are worth 2 points.

In a week we'll have time for three rounds of clues like this, with the final round being worth 3 points each. At the end, any songs which have not been guessed correctly are judged to be failures on my part as clue-maker, and everyone who made a final-round guess for that song gets a free point.

Round 1 clues:

#200:
henningdoug.jpeg
#199: Tolkien.
#198: Refusal to yield.
#197: A story about the singer's day job before becoming a rock star.
#196: Angry sex.
#195: Notoriously used in a 1987 Nike commercial.
#194:
2e64ab27985b9e1d6cac9c88e5218168.jpg
#193: One of the first videos banned by MTV.
#192: Ghost in the machine.
#191: Famous for a live version in which the audience sings the first verse and chorus.

From a discussion below, a clarification:
#193 is a song by a white artist, the video for which was banned by MTV after initial airing, very early in MTV history.

This first bunch should be easy... post your guesses!

Last edited:
#193 deserves some clarification: MTV banned the video after some initial airings. I have found one other video that was also banned after initial airing, before this video was banned. As a kid who watched MTV 6+ hours a day during the time in question, I recall no other such videos.

I have been looking on the net, and I can't find confirmation that Super Freak was ever "banned" in this manner. Rather, MTV had a network policy of not playing black artists at all until Michael Jackson and "Billie Jean". They aired the Herbie Hancock video "Rockit", but there are only a few brief shots of Herbie in that video. It's mostly robots, and Hancock did this to get on MTV because he knew they weren't playing black artists.

So #193 is a song by a white artist, the video for which was banned by MTV after initial airing, very early in MTV history.

Edit: I did recall one other video by a black artist that got aired before MJ, but even he needed a white buddy.

Last edited:
#199: Led Zeppelin - Ramble On
#195: The Beatles- Revolution
193: Queen - I Want to Break Free
#192: The Police - Spirits in the Material World

Hint: see the list of artists spoilered in the top post? All the artists for these clues are in that list, except for the image clues.

200: Magic Man, by Heart
199: Misty Mountain Hop, Led Zeppelin
198: Don't Stop, Fleetwood Mac
197: Working Man, Rush
196: It's So Easy, G'n'R
195: Revolution
194: Gold Dust Woman, Fleetwood Mac
193: Body Language
192: Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, The Police
191: You Can't Always Get What You Want, Rolling Stones

Last edited:
200: Crystal Ball — Styx
199: Ramble On — Led Zep
198: Don't Stop — Fleetwood Mac
195: Revolution — Beatles
194: Gold Dust Woman — Fleetwood Mac
193: Body Language — Queen
192: Spirtis in the Material Word — The Police
191: Breakdown — Tom Petty

Going to have wait on the other two.

200: Crystal Ball — Styx
Damn, that's probably right. I'll stick with Magic Man. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm also not completely convinced that Body Language would be on ANYONE's list of top songs, so I'm still looking on that one too.

Yea, Body Language fits but I've never heard that song on the radio, and I assume most (if not all) of these are going to be FM staples.

197 Ice Cream Man — Van Halen (a pure shot in the dark)
I'm stumped for 196

Back