Classic cinema - thoughts and questions

Re: Classic cinema / current cinema - thoughts and questions

Phew.  Lucky for me the AFI is there to tell me my opinions!

Do you have any?

Might we be lucky to hear yours?
;)

2 days ago I saw "The Best Years Of Our Lives" (1946), directed by William Wyler. I found it quite good.
It fit very well to the post-war society of that year. The film is about the difficulties experienced by war veterans returning to civilian life.

The film received seven Academy Awards. Despite his touching Oscar-nominated performance, Harold Russell was not a professional actor and the Board of Governors considered him a long shot to win, so he was given an honorary award "for bringing hope and courage to his fellow veterans through his appearance". However, he was named Best Supporting Actor to a tumultuous reception, making him the only actor to receive two Academy Awards for the same performance.

Shortly after its premiere at the Astor Theater, New York, Bosley Crowther, film critic for The New York Times, hailed the film as a masterpiece, and wrote, "It is seldom that there comes a motion picture which can be wholly and enthusiastically endorsed not only as superlative entertainment but as food for quiet and humanizing thought... In working out their solutions Mr. Sherwood and Mr. Wyler have achieved some of the most beautiful and inspiring demonstrations of human fortitude that we have had in films." He also said the ensemble casting gave the "'best' performance in this best film this year from Hollywood."

In the upcoming weeks in the Netherlands a lot of theaters pay attention to the legendary actor Cary Grant (active as a film actor in more than 70 films from 1932-1966).

cary2b.jpg

Naturally (as a classic film freak) I have to see some of his films on the big screen.
Later this month I’ll go to North By North West (1959), which can be seen as the first James Bond film. In fact it’s way better than all Bond films together, and Cary Grant was actually asked to play Bond in the first real Bond film. He refused (he thought he looked too old and he wanted to preserve his image) and Connery was chosen because he resembled the type Grant a bit.

Yesterday I went to another picture directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring Grant, Ingrid Bergman & Claude Rains: Notorious.

notorious_big.jpg

To all people who know (or who don’t know!) Hitchcock: this film is really one of his better ones. Go and see it sometime, when you have the chance. It’s an espionage thriller, which could be seen as a film noir as well.

Short summary:
A woman is asked to spy on a group of Nazi friends in South America. How far will she have to go to ingratiate herself with them?

The camerawork (technical speaking) is superb. Great zoom-ins, moving camera’s, angels, timing, etc.

Notorious%20pic%201.jpg

Grant_Bergman_(Notorious).png

Classic horror film update.

Yesterday I bought a filmbox, containing 50(!) movies for 25 euro. Too rediculous for words.

L942807.jpg

I admit that there's probably a lot of crap on it with titles like "Attack Of The Giant Leeches", "The Beast Of Yucca Flats", "Atom Age Vampire" or "The Screaming Skull", but I was very surprised to see that this box also contains classics like:

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1920) (starring John Barrymore)
Nosferatu (1922) (F.W. Murnau)
The Phantom Of The Opera (1925) (starring Lon Chaney)
Metropolis (1927) (Fritz Lang)
House On Haunted Hill (1959) (starring Vincent Price)
Carnival Of Souls (1962)
Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

Especially these first 4 titles are legendary! So these alone are surely worth that price.
And I got 43 (of which 10 are with Bela Lugosi / Boris Karloff / Fay Wray) others with it!   :blink:

Congratulations on a great purchase, but...

Forostar said:
Metropolis (1927) (Fritz Lang)

A horror film?

Haha indeed, I noticed that as well ! I have no clue what it's doing on this box, but I don't mind.

:)

You have it, that's what counts ;)

Yesterday I have seen one of the better Cold War spy movies. It's an adaption of a novel of the same name:

The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965)

1280spy.jpg

The story is famous for its intricate plot and its portrait of the West's espionage methods as inconsistent with Western values. In 2006, Publishers Weekly named the book the "best spy novel of all-time".

Don't expect a James Bond kind of movie. The film itself is very dark and grim. Not a scene with sunlight.
The story is grabbing. I don't wish to reveal too much, apart from saying that a British agent (one of Richard Burton's best roles) returns from Berlin to London but gets mixed up with his old work again.

10094494.jpg

Spy%20Checkpoint.jpg

The film was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role (Richard Burton) and Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Black-and-White. Oskar Werner won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor.
The film was awarded four BAFTA Awards, including Best British Film and Best British Actor (Burton).
The screenwriters, Paul Dehn and Guy Trosper, received an Edgar Award for best movie screenplay.

In my opinion it is a scandal Richard Burton did not recieve any Oscar in his career, even though he was nominated seven times! His performance in Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf and The Spy Who Came in From The Cold is more Oscar worthy than many performances nowaday I would say

Have you seen him in the war films "The Desert Rats" (1953) and/or "Raid On Rommel"(1971)?
Both strong roles, and I especially found "The Desert Rats" (Burton's first war film) a good one.

desert.jpg

While we're at it, his final performance in 1984 was also brilliant.

Lately I heard a collegue talking about that one. Funny, it also came out in 1984!? Probably no coincidence.

I've only seen the 1956 version, directed by Michael Anderson, with Edmond O'Brien & Michael Redgrave in the main roles.

No, it's no coincidence. ;) Actually, in the closing credits, it says "filmed in and around London, in March and April 1984, the exact time Orwell imagined" or something like that. It's a good film, but perhaps not easy to understand if you're not familiar with the book. And Burton easily steals the show.

I haven't seen Desert Rats, but I have seen Raid On Rommel. Didn't think it was a great movie, but worth the time I guess.
I think his best war movie is Where Eagles Dare - great performance by him and Eastwood with the most badass plot ever! I can highly recommend it! :)

1984 was also a great movie, great performances by Burton and John Hurt (the scene in the Ministry of Love is especially remarkable!)

Don LaFontaine, voice of the Hollywood film trailer, dies

don-385_392701a.jpg

Don LaFontaine was credited as the originator of the modern film trailer and was endlessly impersonated and parodied

don-2385_392702a.jpg

Don LaFontaine in the studio at his home in Los Angeles. As well as films he worked on thousands of commercials and promotions, sometimes parodying his own high style

Listen to the voice of Don LaFontaine

He was a man blessed with a special power, a man who could transform even the most implausible of conceits into something that was terrifying, momentous and coming to cinemas "this summer".

Now, this summer, the summer in the year of 2008, will be remembered as the last time in history that the voice of Don LaFontaine was heard in cinemas around the world, announcing forthcoming features. Hollywood’s most celebrated voiceover artist has died at the age of 68.

Credited as the originator of the modern film trailer, his gravelly, sonorous voice could be heard soaring over the promotion clips of more than 5,000 films, every vowel ringing with portent. Romantic entanglements, high school dramas, and bullet strewn robot wars all sounded, beneath his melodramatic baritone, to be productions of historic importance.

Endlessly impersonated and parodied, his pronouncements became part of film folk law: many have passed into cliché. He and his collaborators coined the phrase: “Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, and no way out”. Then there was: “A one-man army”, or “one man, one destiny” and most ubiquitous of all, his oft-used opener: “In a world where . . ." .

In an interview last year, he explained that “we have to very rapidly establish the world we are transporting [cinema viewers] to. That’s very easily done by saying, ‘In a world where . . . violence rules’, ‘In a world where . . . men are slaves and women are the conquerors’. You very rapidly set the scene.”

Born in Minnesota, LaFontaine joined the army after leaving school and became a recording engineer in the United States Army Band and Chorus. After his discharge he moved to New York to work as a sound engineer and editor, where he fell in with a young radio producer named Floyd Peterson, recording commercials for Dr Strangelove.

In 1963 the two went into business together, working out of Peterson’s apartment, producing trailers for film studios. It was only in 1965 that LaFontaine found his true calling.

In a world, as he might have said, where a format for film trailers was only just being developed, at a time when an announcer could not get to the studio on schedule, one man, Don LaFontaine, was forced to fill in, narrating off the cuff the thrilling highlights of a forthcoming film, Gunfighters of Casa Grande.

The producers liked his voice and so LaFontaine took the first steps on a journey to greatness. He headed production houses, he became "the voice" of Paramount Pictures from 1978 to 1981, and named vice-president of the studio in 1980. But, according to his website, he missed the cut and thrust of voiceovers on the studio floor. He left Paramount in 1981 and set up in Los Angeles as an independent producer.

In the following decades he established himself in the industry as “the voice of God”. To everyone else he was the voice of Hollywood, recognised all over the world. Averaging up to ten voice-overs a day, he was chauffeured from studio to studio to save time, and once claimed to have managed 50 jobs in a day, a personal record. The dozen or so voiceover artists who carved a career in his wake all did their best, but all were said to be imitating LaFontaine.

He did all he could to help those who were cutting their teeth, inviting them to spend a day riding around with him in his limo, learning more about the industry, a rare generosity in an industry as savagely competitive as Hollywood.

A fellow artist, Ashton Smith, wrote a testimonial to LaFontaine on his website. “When you die, the voice you hear in heaven is not Don’s,” he wrote. “It’s God trying to sound like Don.”

As well as films he worked on 350,000 commercials and thousands of television promotions, parodying his own high style in a 2005 car insurance advert. Last year he submitted himself to the same treatment in a trailer for The Simpsons Movie.

He died on Monday at a medical centre close to his home in Los Angeles, after complications in the treatment of an ongoing illness. He is survived by his wife, the singer and actress Nita Whitaker, and his three daughters.

The world of cinema trailers may never be the same again.

Hollywood legend Paul Newman dies, aged 83
By Bob Tourtellotte

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Legendary film star Paul Newman, whose brilliant blue eyes, good looks, cool style and talent made him one of Hollywood's top actors over six decades has died at age 83 after a long battle with cancer.

Newman died on Friday night at his farmhouse near Westport, Connecticut, surrounded by his wife of 50 years, actress Joanne Woodward, and other family and friends.

"His death was as private and discreet as the way he had lived his life, a humble artist who never thought of himself as 'big,'" said a statement released by his family on Saturday.

Paul Leonard Newman, known as "PL" to his friends, appeared in more than 50 movies, including "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and "The Sting." He earned nine Oscar nominations for acting and won the best actor honor for 1986's "The Color of Money."

A director and race car driver as well as an actor, Newman was also known for his extensive philanthropy. He created Newman's Own food products, which funneled more than $250 million in profits to thousands of charities worldwide.

"He quietly succeeded beyond measure in impacting the lives of so many with his generosity," his five daughters said in a statement. "Always and to the end, Dad was incredibly grateful for his good fortune. In his own words: 'It's been a privilege to be here.'"

"There is a point where feelings go beyond words. I have lost a real friend. My life - and this country - is better for his being in it," said actor Robert Redford, Newman's friend and co-star in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."

Former President Bill Clinton and U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton said in a statement that they will miss their "dear friend." California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger called Newman the "ultimate cool guy" who was "one of a kind."

HOLLYWOOD LEGEND

Born in a Cleveland suburb on January 26, 1925, Newman was a Navy radio man in the Pacific during World War Two. He went to Kenyon College in Ohio on a football scholarship, but took up acting after he was cut from the team over a barroom brawl.

He helped run the family sporting goods store, then headed to the Yale Drama School and ended up in New York, winning a Broadway role in "Picnic" in 1953. His first major movie role was as boxer Rocky Graziano in "Somebody Up There Likes Me."

In 1958, Newman starred in "The Long Hot Summer" with Woodward, whom he married that year shortly after divorcing his first wife, Jacqueline Witte.

He played an alcoholic loser in "Cat On a Hot Tin Roof," opposite Elizabeth Taylor, and pool shark Fast Eddie Felson in "The Hustler." Other hits were "Hud" and "Cool Hand Luke."

Newman was also recognized for work behind the camera, earning a best picture Oscar nomination and a Golden Globe award for best director for "Rachel, Rachel," starring Woodward, which he produced and directed.

Although his movie career slowed in later years, Newman picked up Oscar nominations in 1994 for "Nobody's Fool" and in 2002 for "Road to Perdition."

He returned to the stage the same year in "Our Town" at a Connecticut playhouse. The show moved to Broadway and Newman was nominated for a Tony award. He won an Emmy, U.S. television's highest honor, for its 2003 broadcast.

In 2005 he won another Emmy for best supporting actor in the mini-series "Empire Falls." His last film part was a voice-over role in the 2006 animated "Cars."

OUTSIDE THE LIMELIGHT

Newman resisted the glare of Hollywood's spotlight.

His long marriage to Woodward ran counter to Hollywood's tradition of fast weddings and quick divorces, and the pair lived in a 200-year-old Connecticut house, far from the heart of the entertainment industry.

Asked the secret of his marriage, Newman once said there was no reason to roam, asking: "I have steak at home. Why should I go out for a hamburger?"

He started auto racing because he said he was bored with acting, but won respect in that field, coming in second in the Le Mans 24-hour competition in 1975. In 1995 at age 70, he became the oldest driver on a winning team at the 24 hours of Daytona race.

Newman tried to advance many social causes, at times in the political arena. A supporter of liberal Democratic presidential nominee Eugene McCarthy in 1968, Newman ended up on President Richard Nixon's "enemies list," which he termed "the highest single honor I've ever received."

Still, Newman said his deepest satisfaction came from philanthropy.

Particularly close to his heart were his Hole-in-the-Wall Camps for seriously ill children. Today, there are eleven around the world that have helped over 135,000 kids, all free of charge.

Newman is survived by Woodward, five daughters, two grandsons, and his older brother, Arthur. Newman also had a son Scott, who died in 1978.

(Writing by Bob Tourtellotte; Editing by Patricia Zengerle)

r

Actor Paul Newman who starred as con-artist Henry Gondorff in the Academy Award-winning film "The Sting," is shown here playing poker in a scene from the film in this undated file photograph.

r

Actor Paul Newman is shown in a scene from his 1969 film "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" in this undated publicity photograph.

r

Actors Paul Newman (L) and Robert Redford are shown in a scene from their 1969 film "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" in this undated publicity photograph.

r

Actor and driver Paul Newman relaxes prior to the start of the 24-hour endurance race, at Daytona International Speedway in Florida, February 5, 2005.

r

Actor Paul Newman speaks at a rally in support of the five month long strike by the Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists commercial actors in midtown Manhattan, September 13, 2000.

Torn%20Curtain%20pic%202.jpg

Paul Newman in Alfred Hitchcock's "Torn Curtain" (1966).

money_l.jpg

Paul Newman in "The Colour Of Money" (1986).

10101950apaul-newman-cool-hand-luke-posters.jpg

Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke" (1967).

This weekend I have been seeing some classic French crime films.

Touchez pas au grisbi (1954) - starring legendary actor Jean Gabin
Du rififi chez les hommes (1955) - fantastic film by Jules Dassin, starring Jean Servais
Bob le flambeur (1956) - by Jean-Pierre Melville

I especially liked "Rififi". A superior classic, one of the best heist films ever made.

wiki:
The plot revolves around a burglary at a jewelry shop in the Rue de Rivoli. Tony, Jo, Mario and César band together to commit the almost impossible theft. The climax of the film is an intricate half hour heist scene depicting the crime in detail, shot in near silence, without dialogue or music.
rififi1.jpg

The fictional burglary has been mimicked by criminals in actual crimes around the world.
Upon its original release, film critic and future director François Truffaut praised the film, stating that "Out of the worst crime novels I ever read, Jules Dassin has made the best crime film I've ever seen" and "Everything in Le Rififi is intelligent: screenplay, dialogue, sets, music, choice of actors. Jean Servais, Robert Manuel, and Jules Dassin are perfect.

Jean-Pierre Melville, or sometimes simply called Melville, made quite some good crime films. His films are are a treat for people who like classic cars, like me for instance. :)

595.jpg

578.jpg

096.jpg

I have already seen:

Le Doulos (1962) (starring Jean-Paul Belmondo)
Le Samouraï (1967) (starring Alain Delon)
Le Cercle rouge (1970) (starring Alain Delon & Yves Montand)
Un flic (1972) (starring Alain Delon & Catherine Deneuve)

All good films. Still some more to go!

It's very nice to see all these Paris images!

Back