Classic cinema - thoughts and questions

Re: Classic cinema / current cinema - thoughts and questions

Forostar said:
Is that the one you meant? That was an exciting film indeed!

Hmm...I think you're right.  It's been ages since I've seen either film; I may have mixed them together in what passes for my memory nowadays.  :lol:

cornfedhick said:
Forostar, have you seen "How Green Was My Valley"?  As you mentioned, it is the only John Ford film to win the Best Picture Oscar -- and, unless I am mistaken, it beat Citizen Kane(!) that year.  Yet I have never seen "How Green..."  Let me/us know if you recommend it.? 

I just saw it and MAN I was impressed! It was very real, with real people of flesh and blood. It showed a strong family bond. Normally I'd wonder what the hell is interesting about seeing something like that, but the way this story was told and shown is just very moving. It was as moving as "The Grapes of Wrath" but in a different way. "The Grapes of Wrath" was more about uncertainty and fear, and less comforting. "How Green Was My Valley" was more comforting, though also full of sad and touching moments. The story was told with great sensitivity and all the images and shots were realistic but very fairytalish at the same time, mostly because of the landscape and the setting.

HowGreen.gif

I'm realizing more and more that the end 30's and early 40's work of Ford is more my cup of tea than his later work. OK, he is famous for his westerns (which tell long stories of an age as well) but apart from "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" these films don't get as impressive as e.g. "Grapes..", "Valley.." & "Lincoln..".

The epic westerns Ford made (especially his later ones from the 40's, 50's and 60's) were often about landmark, historical episodes with patriotism and American values and stuff, full of big "heroes".

These are in fact not my favourite type of westerns. I prefer more compact westerns with shorter story lines, with more tension, like the ones made by Budd Boetticher, Anthony Mann, Sam Peckinpah, and hell even Leone's westerns do it better for me.

"Grapes.." and "Valley.." are about humble, common people with their struggles. Even Ford's portrayal of Lincoln was an intimate story about the president's beginnings.

In the end: I recommend it very much. :)

Recently my wife Marta (also a forum member but hardly posting) made some drawings inspired by several Hitchcock films.

I couldn't find an art topic, so I decided to put them here, hope that's OK.

Cheers!

l_5e72ec21a80f97e36ccd42650ebaba1d.jpg

l_4901b15410ec11ba8fbc97082e1454a3.jpg

l_3ea3cf2a35e94d973142937d5401ac17.jpg

Very nice! Pass on my compliments.

On the subject on Hitchcock art, the Baltic art centre in Newcastle has the music from Vertigo playing on the staircase (not too dissimilar to the staircase in the film), which provides you with a great effect when climbing the stairs, if you're familiar with the music and film of course.

I love the artwork Foro!  Please tell your wife she is a very talented artist!  Are they watercolors?  Pencil?  Just curious as always.  Let me know.

I just did, thanks! :)
She'll answer that question herself pretty soon, I think.

char_da_harlot said:
I love the artwork Foro!  Please tell your wife she is a very talented artist!  Are they watercolors?  Pencil?  Just curious as always.  Let me know.

Thanks for your kind words!!
Well, actually, I have used many different things: watercolor crayons, pencil, pastels and different marker pens.
:)

Actor Richard Widmark Dies at 93

Richard Widmark, the actor whose menacing portrayals in numerous film noir thrillers made him synonymous with the genre, died Monday at age 93. According to news reports, the actor passed away at his home in Roxbury, CT after a long illness.

Widmark appeared on both radio and the stage before making one of the most auspicious -- and audacious -- debuts in film history as the giggling killer Tommy Udo, a man who pushes an old lady in a wheelchair down a flight of stairs, in the 1947 thriller Kiss of Death; the film earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor, a Golden Globe for New Star Of The Year, and a contract with 20th Century Fox.

His portrayals of hard-boiled men, sometimes criminals, sometimes just plain amoral, made him an instant star, and he played villains in The Street with No Name, Road House, and Yellow Sky. He notoriously menaced Marilyn Monroe in Don't Bother to Knock, played a racist criminal in No Way Out, and was a pickpocket caught up in a Communist spy ring in Pickup on South Street. Widmark proved he could also play against type as a doctor tracking down a killer infected with the bubonic plague in Panic in the Streets, and a doomed con man in Jules Dassin's Night and the City.

The actor worked consistently throughout his career, adding Westerns to his repertoire with roles in Broken Lance, The Alamo, Cheyenne Autumn (directed by John Ford), and How the West Was Won, and appeared in the Oscar-winning Judgment at Nuremberg as well. He segued into television in the 1970s as Madigan (based on his 1968 film of the same name, directed by Don Siegel), and received an Emmy nomination for 1972's Vanished, where he played the President of the United States with a secret to hide.

Other notable films during the 1970s and 1980s included Murder on the Orient Express, The Domino Principle, Coma, and the film noir update Against All Odds; his last role was in the 1991 political drama True Colors, after which he retired from filmmaking. Widmark is survived by his second wife, Susan Blanchard, and his daughter, Anne, from his first marriage to screenwriter Jean Hazlewood, who died in 1997.
-- Mark Englehart, IMDb staff

KissOfDeath_4.jpg

45sm.jpg

amd_richard_widmark.jpg

I was sad to hear about this today. :(  He made a lot of movies in the 70's that remind me of my childhood.  Movies like Rollercoster(lame) which at the time was kind of scary for me.  Also The Swarm.  Back in the day it was said that we would get infested with african killer bees so this movie was creepy for me.  Coma was a great movie even though Richard had a small role, it is a classic to me.  I have not watched any of those films since I was a kid.  Oh and how can I forget the movie Hanky Panky with Gene wilder and Gilda Radner!  Funny movie.  He will be missed and he sure lived a long life....93.  Wow!

I especially like his roles in the 40s and 50s era. Great roles and mostly great films as well!

From that classic period there are not many male actors still alive. One of the oldest who comes to mind is Kirk Douglas, born in 1916.

I agree with you Forostar to some point.  The only classic movie I have seen with Richard was Kiss of Death.  Which was a great movie!  I have never seen any of the others mentioned.  Hey, but I still have time.

A couple of weeks back I went to see To Kill A Mockingbird on the big screen.  It was really cool and I was stunned at all the people who showed up to the theater.  It was a full house!  I did notice that the sound in the film was just horrible.  Other than that everyone clapped at the end of the movie. 
In a couple of weeks they will be showing Blade Runner.  I can't remember if I ever seen it on the big screen?  So it will be really cool to see it up there.  I can't wait!

What a coincidence:

Remembering Jules Dassin

With films like Riffifi, the Hollywood-blacklisted director Jules Dassin found a European sensibility.

widmark460.jpg

Harsh, realistic and fast-paced ... Jules Dassin's Night and the City (1950), starring Richard Widmark. Photograph: Kobal

Film director Jules Dassin, who has just died at the age of 96, was the author of masterpieces such as Night and the City and Riffifi. The son of Russian immigrants, he grew up in Harlem. Theatre was to become a passion, one that soon took him to the moving pictures. He directed 11 films between 1941 and 1949 but was soon blacklisted for his leftist sympathies. He settled down in London where he made Night and the City in 1950, but his time in London only lasted a few years as McCarthyism seemed to follow him, even on this side of the Atlantic. He resettled once again, this time in Paris where his Riffifi - or rather in French, Du Riffifi Chez Les Hommes - got him the best director's prize in Cannes in 1955.

Dassin had a particular talent to serve great dramatic parts to great actors such as the late Richard Widmark or Jean Servais. His style behind the camera was elegant and sharp: just like him, a handsome man who, along with his wife, Greek actor Melina Mercouri, charmed everybody he met. Together, they became a powerful and celebrated couple. With Never on Sunday, shot by her husband in 1960, Mercouri rose to international stardom. As strong-headed as she was beautiful, she became a member of Greece's parliament in 1977 and, four years later, minister for culture.

François Truffaut considered Riffifi the best thriller ever, although all of Dassin's harsh, realistic, fast-paced and highly-contrasted black and white films were to grip a whole generation, the audience of the new wave, throughout Europe and America. American paced and European styled, his films carried both force and sophistication, two qualities that are still as blatant today as they were then.

If his filmography reads a little chaotically, put it down to McCarthyism, which clipped his creative wings at a time when he was finding his voice in his mid-30s. Europe and France in particular may have welcomed him as their own, but he always longed to be recognised again as an American director. His son Joe went on to have a long and successful career in France despite an untimely death at the age of 42.

My wife did some search with google, and she thinks it's:

Baisers volés (Stolen Kisses), 1968. The voice belongs most probably to actor Jean-Pierre Léaud (born 9 days before D-Day, hehe ;-)).

:) :)

I've finished another drawing (again inspired by "Psycho" of A. Hitchcock:

l_1b0dd855d62c3f262c3a2510b344008d.jpg

Marta said:
:) :)
I've finished another drawing (again inspired by "Psycho" of A. Hitchcock:

very nice drawing for another one time  :)
did you notice the song I dedicated to you ?
I like to see you WITH Foro, wish my Lili had a bit of interest to get registered here

specialy now, that we are a thousand miles away -forum couples rule  :ok:

Charlton Heston, 84; Oscar-winning actor played larger-than-life figures

37544509.jpg

EPIC: Heston as Moses in Cecil B. DeMille's 1956 epic, "The Ten Commandments."

The Oscar winner played Moses and Michelangelo, then later became a darling of conservatism.
By Robert W. Welkos and Susan King, Special to The Times - April 6, 2008

Charlton Heston, the Oscar-winning actor who achieved stardom playing larger-than-life figures including Moses, Michelangelo and Andrew Jackson and went on to become an unapologetic gun advocate and darling of conservative causes, has died. He was 84.

Heston died Saturday at his Beverly Hills home, said family spokesman Bill Powers. In 2002, he had been diagnosed with symptoms similar to those of Alzheimer's disease.

With a booming baritone voice, the tall, ruggedly handsome actor delivered his signature role as the prophet Moses in Cecil B. DeMille's 1956 Biblical extravaganza "The Ten Commandments," raising a rod over his head as God miraculously parts the Red Sea.

Heston won the Academy Award for best actor in another religious blockbuster in 1959's "Ben-Hur," racing four white horses at top speed in one of the cinema's legendary action sequences: the 15-minute chariot race in which his character, a proud and noble Jew, competes against his childhood Roman friend.

Heston stunned the entertainment world in August 2002 when he made a poignant and moving videotaped address announcing his illness.

Late in life, Heston's stature as a political firebrand overshadowed his acting. He became demonized by gun-control advocates and liberal Hollywood when he became president of the National Rifle Assn. in 1998.

Heston answered his critics in a now-famous pose that mimicked Moses' parting of the Red Sea. But instead of a rod, Heston raised a flintlock over his head and challenged his detractors to pry the rifle "from my cold, dead hands."

Like the chariot race and the bearded prophet Moses, Heston will be best remembered for several indelible cinematic moments: playing a deadly game of cat and mouse with Orson Welles in the oil fields in "Touch of Evil," his rant at the end of "Planet of the Apes" when he sees the destruction of the Statue of Liberty, his discovery that "Soylent Green is people!" in the sci-fi hit "Soylent Green" and the dead Spanish hero on his steed in "El Cid."

The New Yorker's film critic Pauline Kael, in her review of 1968's "Planet of the Apes," wrote: "All this wouldn't be so forceful or so funny if it weren't for the use of Charlton Heston in the [leading] role. With his perfect, lean-hipped, powerful body, Heston is a god-like hero; built for strength, he is an archetype of what makes Americans win. He represents American power -- and he has the profile of an eagle."

For decades, the 6-foot-2 Heston was a towering figure in the world of movies, television and the stage.

"He was the screen hero of the 1950s and 1960s, a proven stayer in epics, and a pleasing combination of piercing blue eyes and tanned beefcake," David Thomson wrote in his book "The New Biographical Dictionary of Film."

Heston also was blessed by working with legendary directors such as DeMille in "The Greatest Show on Earth" and again in "The Ten Commandments," Welles in "Touch of Evil," Sam Peckinpah in "Major Dundee," William Wyler in "The Big Country" and "Ben-Hur," George Stevens in "The Greatest Story Ever Told," Franklin Schaffner in "The War Lord" and "Planet of the Apes" and Anthony Mann in "El Cid."

"Four or five of those men would be on anybody's all-time great list," Heston said in a 1983 interview. "And if I picked up one scrap, one piece of business, from each of them, then today I would be a hell of a director."

John Charles Carter was born Oct. 4, 1923, in Evanston, Ill. His father, Russell Whitford Carter, moved the family to St. Helen, Mich., where Heston lived an almost idyllic boyhood, hunting and fishing.

He entered Northwestern University's School of Speech in 1941 on a scholarship from the drama club. While there, he fell in love with a young speech student named Lydia Clarke. They were married March 14, 1944, after he had enlisted in the Army Air Forces. Their union was one of the most durable in Hollywood, lasting 64 years in a town known for its highly publicized divorces, romances and remarriages.

Theatrical name choice

After the war, he went on countless auditions as a stage actor in New York. His professional name was a combination of his mother's maiden name, Charlton, and the last name of his stepfather, Chester Heston.

He made his Broadway debut opposite legendary stage actress Katharine Cornell in Shakespeare's "Antony and Cleopatra" as Proculeius, Caesar's aide-de-camp.

Heston found steady employment in the new medium of television. His big break occurred in 1949, when he appeared in the CBS live "Studio One" production of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar."

In 1949, he attracted the attention of veteran film producer Hal Wallis. Without an audition, Wallis signed Heston to an independent contract for five pictures with the option he could accept other roles.

Heston's first picture for Wallis was the 1950 film noir "Dark City" opposite femme fatale Lizabeth Scott. He played a troubled World War II veteran, and the film did respectable business.

But it was his chance meeting on the Paramount Pictures lot with DeMille that propelled Heston to stardom. The role that the flamboyant director wanted him for was the rugged circus manager in the 1952 big-top spectacular, "The Greatest Show on Earth," which won the Academy Award for best picture.

Over the next three years, Heston made 11 movies, playing Buffalo Bill Cody in "Pony Express" and Andrew Jackson in "The President's Lady."

Then DeMille entered his life again, casting Heston as Moses in "The Ten Commandments."

"My choice was strikingly confirmed," DeMille wrote, "when I had a sketch made of Charlton Heston in a white beard and happened to set it beside a photograph of Michelangelo's famous statue of Moses. The resemblance was amazing; and it was not merely an external likeness."

He wasn't the only Heston in the film. His baby son, Fraser, made his screen debut as the infant Moses who is carried downstream in a basket.

"The Ten Commandments," a blockbuster hit, was followed by "Touch of Evil" and "The Big Country."

Then came "Ben-Hur."

Ironically, though it was arguably Heston's most famous role, and the only one that earned him an Oscar, he was not the first actor considered. Burt Lancaster, Paul Newman and Rock Hudson were under consideration for the role of heroic Judah Ben-Hur.

The film's breathtaking chariot race, directed by legendary stuntman Yakima Canutt, took five weeks to film and required 15,000 extras.

The film went on to win 11 Oscars, including best picture and best director for Wyler.

Playing larger-than-life heroes seemed to carry over into real-life politics for Heston. He was one of the major Hollywood stars who marched with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil rights era.

But Heston's politics soon veered right and he became an admirer of conservative Sen. Barry Goldwater of Arizona, who was the Republican Party nominee for president in 1964.

"My politics haven't changed -- it was the Democratic Party that changed," the actor said.

Always a political animal, Heston relished his role as a lightning rod for criticism over his passionate defense of gun ownership. He once told the Times of London, "In this country, if someone breaks into your house, you can shoot them. And I would do that in a second if my wife were back there sleeping and someone broke in."

In 1998, with his acting career waning, Heston became president of the National Rifle Assn. and instantly became one of the more politically polarizing figures in America.

During his five-year reign as NRA president, Heston vowed to push the group "back into the mainstream" of American politics.

His name was so synonymous with the defense of guns and gun owners that Michael Moore sought him out for an interview in his 2002 Academy Award-winning documentary "Bowling for Columbine." But the aging Heston walked out of the on-screen interview as Moore peppered him with probing questions about the nation's gun use, and the usually unflappable actor seemed angry and flustered.

Heston was not afraid of taking on entertainment corporations such as the giant Time Warner, which in 1992 came under scrutiny for releasing rapper Ice-T's controversial CD "Cop Killer." Heston, who owned several hundred shares of Time Warner stock, stood up at the stockholders' meeting in Beverly Hills and read every profane lyric in that song as well as another explicit cut from the rap album.

Though his film work occupied most of his career, he never abandoned his theatrical roots. He was a mainstay for years on stage, especially at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles, tackling everything from Eugene O'Neill's "Long Day's Journey into Night," Robert Bolt's "A Man for All Seasons" and "Macbeth" with co-star Vanessa Redgrave.

Although Heston had fond memories of working with Welles, Wyler and DeMille, he didn't always get along with filmmakers, especially the scrappy, hard-living Sam Peckinpah, who directed him in the 1965 intense western "Major Dundee."

As Heston recalled it in his autobiography, the actor took umbrage after Peckinpah changed directions and swore at the actor for disobeying his command. Heston drew his saber and rode full-speed at the director, who leaped aside only moments before the sword-wielding actor galloped past him.

"I can't believe I would have actually ridden Sam down, let alone sabered him," Heston wrote. "But I was as angry as I can remember being in my life." Heston would call "Major Dundee" a "disappointing" film.

After "Ben-Hur," Heston had an uneven film career. In the 1960s, he continued to play historical characters in lavish epics such as Michelangelo in "The Agony and the Ecstasy" and Gen. Charles "Chinese" Gordon in "Khartoum." But none of them were as successful critically as "Ben-Hur."

Then, in 1968, he appeared in two roles vastly different from what his fans were accustomed to -- one that brought him box office success and the other critical kudos.

Heston brought a quiet strength and dignity to his role as an aging cowpoke in the character-driven western "Will Penny," directed by Tom Gries. Though the film wasn't a commercial success, reviewers admired his understated turn. Leonard Maltin called it one of the best films on the cowboy-loner ever to come out of Hollywood.

But Heston scored his biggest post-"Ben-Hur" success with his first foray into science fiction, playing a no-nonsense, heroic astronaut whose space capsule crashes on a planet ruled by intelligent, English-speaking apes and where humans were treated like chattel. Although he had often shown his buffed physique on screen, "Planet" marked the first time he appeared in a nude scene.

Though many of his films in the 1970s did well at the box office, like the sci-fi thriller "Soylent Green" and the nail-biters "Airport '75" and "Earthquake," the reviews were abysmal.

Return to television

The 1980s marked his return to television, starring in ABC's "The Colbys," the short-lived spinoff of the prime-time soap opera "Dynasty," and several TV movies and miniseries.

Despite his granite-jawed, Moses-like image, Heston was not above poking fun at himself. In the twilight of his career, he was a jovial two-time host of "Saturday Night Live," and had a cameo as "the good actor" in "Wayne's World 2," and even appeared as himself in a 1998 episode of the hit NBC sitcom "Friends."

Although his days as the leading man were over, he worked steadily in small but interesting roles, including the one-eyed CIA director in James Cameron's "True Lies," the Player King in Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet," a high-powered football commissioner in Oliver Stone's "On Any Sunday" and an uncredited appearance in ape attire in Tim Burton's 2001 remake of "Planet of the Apes."

Throughout his life, Heston was active in various areas of the entertainment industry. Besides serving as president of the Screen Actors Guild, he also was chairman of the American Film Institute, head of President Reagan's Task Force on the Arts and Humanities, and involved in several charities. President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to the Council on the Arts, the executive body controlling grants made by the National Endowment for the Arts.

In addition to his Oscar, Heston received numerous U.S. and international awards and honors, among them the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn.'s Cecil B. DeMille Award, the Screen Actors Guild Life Achievement Award, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award and the Kennedy Center Honors Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2003, he was awarded a Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George W. Bush.

In later years, Heston battled physical ailments. In 1996, he underwent hip replacement surgery and two years later he was treated for prostate cancer. In 2000, he revealed in the National Enquirer tabloid that he had entered a rehab clinic for a drinking problem.

In addition to his wife and son, Heston is survived by a daughter, Holly Heston Rochell; and three grandchildren.

37544897.jpg

GREAT MEN: In a 1995 interview covering his film career and political activism, Charlton Heston said: "The egalitarian world view now considered politically correct makes us uneasy with the idea that one individual is better than the rest of us. But having played several great men, I can tell you that they are better than we are ...."

37547502.jpg

"TOUCH OF EVIL": Heston played a Mexican drug agent involved in a deadly game of cat and mouse with corrupt U.S. lawman Orson Welles in the 1958 film.

37545023.jpg

HIGH SPEED: In the 1959 movie "Ben-Hur," Heston drives his chariot toward the finish line to cap off one of cinema's legendary action sequences. The rugged actor won an Oscar for the performance.

37544679.jpg

CHARIOT RACER: Heston in a still from "Ben-Hur." In a 1965 interview, the actor said: "I don't seem to fit really into the 20th century."

37545248.jpg

RIDING HIGH: In the 1964 film "Major Dundee," directed by Sam Peckinpah, Heston plays the title character, a cavalry officer.

37545250.jpg

TIME TRAVELER: Heston gets some rough treatment from a guard in the 1968 classic "Planet of the Apes."

37545243.jpg

DISASTER FILM: Heston with Ava Gardner in "Earthquake" (1974), directed by Mark Robson.

37545020.jpg

STRIKE: Walking the picket line, Heston waves to fans outside Paramount Studios in Hollywood during the Screen Actors Guild strike in August 1980.

37544680.jpg

ACTIVIST: Heston addresses gun owners as president of the National Rifle Assn. at a 2002 rally in Manchester, N.H.

37545022.jpg

HONOR: At the White House in July 2003, Heston receives the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Why Jimmy Stewart was the best movie star ever
Mick LaSalle, Chronicle Movie Critic / Wednesday, May 14, 2008

So you're sitting in a restaurant and James Stewart walks in and sits down at the next table. Do you feel (a) Excited that a major movie star is here? (b) Fluttery at the thought that one of the world's greatest actors is just 5 feet away? Or (c) Glad to see Jimmy?

If you answered C, you just explained both why he was a major movie star and why he was a great actor.

A hundred years after his birth in Pennsylvania, and 11 years since his death in 1997, Stewart maintains a tight grip on the American imagination that feels more like a gentle handshake. Yup, yup, yup, ol' Jimmy.

We remember him as even-tempered, and yet in his movies he was often flying off the handle. We remember him as playing naive bumpkins, but the naivete was usually a shrewd man's pose. We remember him as laconic, but he usually talked a blue streak, and we remember him as unfazed, but he probably did more crying onscreen than any other major actor in history. Ol' Jimmy was not what he seemed.

Why do we persist in believing he was a simple man, when he rarely, if ever, played simple men? Invariably, he was smarter, or deeper, or stronger, or angrier, or creepier, or weirder, or braver or simply better than anybody else might have guessed. He played men who hid their feelings from the other characters, but he showed his true feelings to us. We saw them, even as he tried to swallow his anger at the mob, or conceal his smile of contempt for the bad guy or do his best not to become unhinged at the sight of Kim Novak with the wrong hairdo.

This is how important Stewart is: He had the best acting career in the history of cinema. Period. To say this requires neither undue confidence nor some mystical formulation. A glance at the filmography removes all doubt. Stewart was a major star for longer than almost anybody else, and he worked with the finest directors. He was a favorite of Hitchcock, Capra, Ford and Anthony Mann, and he made classics or near-classics for Ernst Lubitsch ("The Shop Around the Corner"), George Cukor ("The Philadelphia Story"), Otto Preminger ("Anatomy of a Murder") and Don Siegel ("The Shootist").

Anger beneath the surface

The standard line on Stewart is that after World War II something in his screen essence darkened and he became a more complex and less sunny figure. This is not inaccurate. His films did darken, at least some of them did, and certainly there's a violence in some of his later pictures that wasn't quite present in his earlier films.

But while some of that darkness may have been a consequence of going to war, anger was always near to the surface in Stewart from the beginning. You've seen it, haven't you? Someone says something out of line. Then a look crosses Stewart's face ("Did I just hear that?"). The eyes flicker, then flash, and the mouth tightens ... Even in his comedies, Stewart had an uncompromising sense of self and a willingness to fight. This isn't to say that Stewart was always close to blowing his stack, but even in a gentle film like "The Shop Around the Corner" (1940), he lets you know that certain lines cannot be crossed.

He had access to great reserves of anguish. We know this from the climactic speech in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" (1939) and the bridge scene in "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946). But it's also apparent in less dramatic scenes, for example the moment in "The Shopworn Angel" (1938) when the Broadway actress (Margaret Sullavan) tells the soldier on leave (Stewart) that she can't go out with him that night. His face dissolves into a mask of devastation. He was 29 when he filmed that scene, and even then he could go to a place of naked desolation.

Who else did that? Who else was that kind of male star? So unvarnished, so full of feeling, so unwilling or unable to hide? There was no one else, certainly no one of his generation. And yet we think of Stewart as bottled up and covered: Yup, yup, yup. It's just not true.

Stewart never planned on being an actor. He just liked doing it. At Princeton, he'd majored in architecture, but he participated in school plays, and after graduation he joined an acting troupe, which included two future Hollywood stars, Henry Fonda and Sullavan. After a few years working in New York, Stewart made it out to Hollywood, where Fonda and Sullavan were already established. It was the fabulously confident Sullavan who encouraged him not to conceal himself but to use his original look and manner to his advantage.

The Stewart we know and love was fully formed by "The Shopworn Angel," and he hit the major leagues with Frank Capra's "You Can't Take It With You" (1938). By 1939, he was starring opposite Carole Lombard in "Made for Each Other" (1939) and bringing off the difficult lead role of Mr. Smith. Though Stewart is often thought of as a natural, he worked hard at his performances. For "Mr. Smith" he went so far as to have a doctor put dichloride of mercury in his throat to make his voice raspy.

He probably should have won an Academy Award for "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," but he was passed over for Robert Donat's performance in "Goodbye Mr. Chips." Probably as a result, Stewart won the next year for "The Philadelphia Story" (1940), a bad break for his buddy Fonda, who actually did deserve it that year for "The Grapes of Wrath."

Stewart's good movies are too many to count, and any survey of his career, short of a book, is going to be random. For myself, I love the emotional Stewart. I love the little moment outside the store in "Shop Around the Corner" when he tells his friend that he hopes his romantic pen pal, whom he hasn't yet met, is neither homely nor spectacularly beautiful. "Just a lovely average girl, that's all I want." ... I love the moment when he proposes to Donna Reed in "It's a Wonderful Life," and the moment in "Winchester '73" when he smashes Dan Duryea's head onto a saloon counter. And don't forget his two scenes with John Wayne in "The Shootist" (1976). The emotions in all these scenes are big and present.

There's also Stewart in his appealingly sly mode - for example, the checkers scene in "Destry Rides Again," in which he makes clear that he's not afraid of the town's corrupt judge and that he's 10 times smarter than anybody else around. And who could forget him as a lawyer in "Anatomy of a Murder" (1959), in which he subtly but unmistakably tells a murder suspect to plead insanity?

The best roles

Of the great performances, "Vertigo" is a standout, but two other Hitchcock performances are as well. Few ever point to "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (1956) as one of his best movies, but he beautifully conveys the sense of a dead marriage in his scenes with Doris Day, just as he subtly and inoffensively suggests a burnt-out sexual attraction for Grace Kelly in "Rear Window" (1954). With Stewart, there was usually an extra edge, an unexpected emotion or shading that made things richer.

In the end, when you add up Stewart's appeal and his lasting achievement, it has something to do with what we sometimes call "the average man." Of course, there's no such thing as the average man. No one thinks of himself as average, and no one goes through life having average emotions and experiences. Stewart played men who were called "average men," but there was nothing medium-size about what he showed us.

Indeed, Stewart tell us that the average man is not average at all, but that his anguish is fathomless, that his rage knows no bounds and that his love for the "lovely average girl" is the deepest and most beautiful thing on earth. Stewart tells us that the sacrifices of the average man, though unknown, are what allow the world to function and that anyone who underestimates the so-called average man is a fool.

This is James Stewart's contribution. For three generations, people have looked at him onscreen and have seen their sons, fathers, brothers and husbands, and they've seen themselves. He's the cinema's patron saint of the average man, who assures us - and shows us - that every life is something enormous.

dd_stewart1947537.jpg

1939: "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"

dd_stewart1950013.jpg

1950: "Winchester '73"

dd_stewart1947071.jpg

1954: "Rear Window"

dd_stewart144.jpg

1955: "The Man from Laramie"

dd_stewartinsider10.jpg

1958: "Vertigo"

dd_stewart1422.jpg

1959: "Anatomy of a Murder"