Christopher Lee

Is that interview footage recent? He looks, well, in very good health; better than he has of late. (He has looked very frail in recent footage/photographs I've seen.) He'll be 92 tomorrow.

Last edited:
RIP.

I think few people have managed to imprint their name in popular culture this deeply. He was everything, from Dracula to Muhammad Ali Jinnah, he was in Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, an opera singer and a heavy metal vocalist. A fearless man who made the most of his life.

Last edited:
Such a significant figure, it's strange to think he's gone.

Maybe things are different in England, but over here Lee was a nearly-forgotten has-been before Saruman and Dooku. Great guy, he will be missed, but let's not pretend he was always a cultural giant. He had nowhere near his current level of respect when his most famous role was Dracula.

Part of what makes Lee so big was that he crossed generational appeal and essentially skipped a generation. Yours.

He didn't skip it. He just wasn't considered a major star because he'd been in so few major movies. He was considered a B-list actor because he was in so many B-list movies. People recognized his talent and all that, but he wasn't big news.

Maybe things are different in England,.
I think he was criticized and ignored more in England than anywhere else. That's why he searched and found recognition in other parts of the world, wanting to do more than horror only. America played a positive role!

I remember seeing an interview with Lee with him being somewhat bitter about England, but I can't find it anymore. Might be an extra from a DVD.

Back