Children of the Damned

How good is Children of the Damned on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Children Of The Damned' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'children Of The Damned'

absolutely awesome song you can check out a small clip i did at [a href=\'http://www.luxtech.com.au/children.mp3\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.luxtech.com.au/children.mp3[/a]

'children Of The Damned'

i like this song, the solo is nice and Bruce does some vivid descriptions of the burning

'children Of The Damned'

Bruce has said that he was heavily influenced from "children of the grave" by sabbath when singing this one...

'children Of The Damned'

One of my all time faves. It has it all, great guitars with some acoustic ones in between, a heavy chorus, then this fast second part with a stunning guitar solo. Bruce's voice also carries a lot of emotion on this one.

'children Of The Damned'

To me 'Children of the Damned' is an absolute must for the next tour in 2005!It is said that the band will play a good many songs from their first four albums.Thus it would be a major disappointment if they didn't resurrect this wonderful song which I bet is a joy for Bruce to sing...

...by the by I feel this would be a perfect song to close the show!

'children Of The Damned'

One of my favourite Maiden songs. The vocals in particular are excellent. Although the subject matter is hardly original... Who cares? It's a fantastic song and it deserves better treatment from the band, who, I think, disregard it!

'children Of The Damned'

that's perfection. Maiden at their very best! Every time I listen to that song it sends shivers down my spine. The mellow beginning, great vocals, the build-up to the fast part til it just wrecks your neck - purely genius! 5 stars [!--emo&:bow:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/bowdown.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'bowdown.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'children Of The Damned'

It's not really my cup of tea...
After all, it's just another slow of the 80's. [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

2,5 stars.

'children Of The Damned'

[!--QuoteBegin-gor+May 15 2004, 05:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gor @ May 15 2004, 05:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Bruce has said that he was heavily influenced from "children of the grave" by sabbath when singing this one...
[snapback]65719[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think maybe Bruce has messed up his "children of..." songs here, it makes much more sense to me if he was inspired by "Children Of The Sea" which is pretty similar both in style and vocals to Children Of The Damned.

'children Of The Damned'

Oh yeah! Just another great song, it has everything balanced so well, the acoustic intro, the imagery and the ripping solos. 5 stars.

'children Of The Damned'

Has anyone else seen the movie Children Of The Damned? Saw it a few weeks ago. It's inferior to the song, but it was pretty decent. Well, with a song as kickass as CotD, it's pretty easy not to match its awesomeness. CotD puts extra emphasis on the "power" part of "power ballad". It's a good thing. 5/5 stars.

Re: 'children Of The Damned'

The film Children of the Damned is a sequel to Village of the Damned.

Village of the Damned (1960)
Villageofthedamned1960.jpg

Children of the Damned (1963)
Children_of_the_Damned.jpg

Both are British horror/sci-fi films and are can be seen on YouTube! (I'll post the links later, perhaps here, perhaps in the Classic Cinema topic). I've just started the first film, which looks very nice until now. From what I've heard Village of the Damned is much better, but I am sure going to watch them both! Interesting to see the inspiration for the song we all know so well.

Children of the Sea -> Children of the Damned

Cool, (like some dude already suspected in 2005, in this same topic) Bruce confessed in his last BBC Friday Rock Show something interesting:

(while talking about Dio's first album with Sabbath, Heaven And Hell, with the intro of "Children of the Sea" just starting)

"..I suppose I have to fess up and say in large part when we were writing the album The Number of the Beast we were listening to this particular album and paying close attention to this track in particular. Note the word "children" in the title."

Coming back to my previous post in this topic, I still have to see the film Children of the Damned, but Village of the Damned was really good. Exciting and scary, go and check it out if you have the time -> a search on YouTube is enough to find it.

Daily Song: Children of the Damned

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Children of the Damned

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

There is a lot right with this track. It's the first time we get the full emotive range of Bruce Dickinson's voice, and that makes it a landmark track. It is mournful and sadly beautiful in places. However, it never fully clicked for me, though I recognize it as great. I want to give it a lot of points, but because it just isn't adored here, I'm giving it an 8/10.

Re: Daily Song: Children of the Damned

The tension and restraint drips, despite the stately feel of the opening verses and I love the way it crumbles, instead of leaps, into the fast portion. And Bruce absolutely crushes here. Amazing vocals. I was thinking nine before I had another listen, but it’s a legitimate 10 — just the second one I’ve given out.

Last edited:

10/10. The 1st real powerful Maiden song for me, except for Phantom of the Opera. This song has a real feel to it, a classic.

LooseCannon said:
There is a lot right with this track. It's the first time we get the full emotive range of Bruce Dickinson's voice, and that makes it a landmark track.

You mean first time during his Maiden tenure or all-in-all? Because I'd give that title to "Communion" by Samson if it's the latter. :p

But generally I agree with your post, although I'd like to add that the lyrics also ooze emotion (though Bruce really takes it to another level), and I've always underestimated the power of the guitars in that song. They make the song so haunting. . .

9/10.

One of their best. Great lyrics with dark melody and an intense atmosphere. Beautifully sung by Bruce and I dare say that the tone he has on this song is unrivaled by any other song in their catalog.

10/10

Back