Cheap Tech Solutions

A

Anonymous

Have you ever played a gig where some of your gear broke down and all you could get your hands on trying to fix things were your shoelaces and a piece of gum?

This topic will hopefully aid all "Mc Gyvering" drummers, (bass)guitarists and keyboardists in repairing, upgrading and (re)designing their instruments to match their current needs WITHOUT spending a fortune on new hardware.

Also welcome to this topic are all temporary solutions, ever applied to your gear or instrument either by yourself or some (pro) tech. All "road-stories" accompanying these "on-the-fly" repairs are more than welcome!

Now, to start off this topic and to give you some idea of what I consider to be a "Cheap Tech Solution" here's a first one:

Some of most musician's favourite beverage (beer) comes in so called "swingtop" bottles. See picture below, the bottle far left is a swingtop.
[img src=\'http://www.grolsch.com/content/Beer_A_007.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

The ceramic caps of these bottles are fit with red/orange rubber washers that make EXELLENT and, above all, FREE straplocks for your guitar!

Put your guitarstrap on the strapholds. Now secure it on both ends with the rubber washers and you can start practising your "Janick Gers" throws and windmills without the risk of ending up holding just the guitarstrap and having to beg your audience not to press charges for catching your guitar... with their foreheads! [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

thanks for the tip!
My strap was falling of al the time but now it stays where it has to be!

Cheers mate! Allways good to know someone actually reads this stuff...

After posting this new topic I actually found out this forum is more ABOUT musicians than FOR musicians... So I wonder if there's any need for more of my "cheap tips"...

But I see you live in Belgium so if you're the only one interested just cross your northern border someday and pay me a visit!

[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Everything you'll ever need as a musician:
[img src=\'http://www.butiken.su.se/pix/896.115.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

You can fix anything with it! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-664+Oct 26 2005, 03:52 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(664 @ Oct 26 2005, 03:52 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]After posting this new topic I actually found out this forum is more ABOUT musicians than FOR musicians...
[snapback]121409[/snapback]​
[/quote]
This forum is supposed to be for musicians to discuss ... umm ... musical things.
But it's true that discussions here are often about other musicians - 'best guitarist' and that sort of crap.

[!--QuoteBegin-Scream for me Stockholm+Oct 28 2005, 09:17 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Scream for me Stockholm @ Oct 28 2005, 09:17 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Everything you'll ever need as a musician:
[img src=\'http://www.butiken.su.se/pix/896.115.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]
You can fix anything with it!  [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]121520[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I usually use that stuff to mute/unmute any backup singers in the bands I play in...

[!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']...but after seeing "The House Of Wax" I may consider using SuperGlue in the future...[/span] [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-664+Oct 26 2005, 09:52 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(664 @ Oct 26 2005, 09:52 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Cheers mate! Allways good to know someone actually reads this stuff...

After posting this new topic I actually found out this forum is more ABOUT musicians than FOR musicians... So I wonder if there's any need for more of my "cheap tips"...

But I see you live in Belgium so if you're the only one interested just cross your northern border someday and pay me a visit!

[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]121409[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Hey! we're almost neighbours ( ik woon in Voorschoten [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] )

Back