Change some of the Maiden setlists

A continuation of the setlist above...

The Gimme Ed 'Til I'm Dead Tour was a short, pre-DoD tour based around their new song "Wildest Dreams". There aren't many songs that hadn't already been played on the Ed Huntour, BNW Tour, or would eventually be played on the Early Days Tour. So... what if this was another opportunity to play a few more songs from Bruce's solo career? I tried to pick a few songs that aren't too intrusive for fans who don't really care about Bruce's records, and ones that I feel would have fit the Maiden vibe. I should also note that Bruce did a solo tour around this time, so this Maiden tour is kind of a substitution for that.

1. The Number of the Beast
2. The Trooper
3. Wildest Dreams
4. 22 Acacia Avenue
5. Chemical Wedding
6. Accident of Birth
7. Heaven Can Wait
8. The Wicker Man
9. The Clairvoyant
10. Brave New World
11. Darkside of Aquarius
12. Hallowed Be Thy Name
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden
ENCORE
15. Tears of the Dragon
16. Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
17. Run to the Hills

Maiden were about to embark on a series of album/history tour rotations so this is about the last chance they'd have for a while to fit Bruce's material into their canon. I like these sorts of thought experiments a lot. "Darkside" especially would have been epic to hear with Steve on bass.

Yes, Steve will only play Bruce songs if they’ve been officially co-opted as Maiden songs.

My version of:

The Future Past tour 2023:

Intro: Blade Runner

1.Caught Somewhere In Time
2.Stranger In A Strange Land
3.The Writing On The Wall
4.Days Of Future Past
5.The Time Machine
6.Brave New World (I would love Out Of The Silent Planet too)
7.The Parchment
8.Futureal (or Clairvoyant if it's a SSOASS song, or Prisoner)
9.Heaven Can Wait/Sea Of Madness
10.Alexander The Great
11.Fear Of The Dark
12.Iron Maiden
Encore:
13.Hell On Earth
14.The Trooper
15.Wasted Years (or Hallowed or Prisoner)

This would be my Future Past setlist. The setlist they play is almost perfect imo.
1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Stranger in a Strange Land
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. The Days of Future Past
5. The Time Machine
6. The Trooper
7. Stratego
8. The Evil That Men Do (or The Clairvoyant)

9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Alexander the Great
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden

13. Hell on Earth
14. Hallowed Be Thy Name
15. Wasted Years

I moved The Trooper in the place of The Prisoner, which I replaced with Hallowed in the encore. Also, DOTC is so boring. Stratego is my favourite on Senjutsu so it was an easy pick. I didn't go for the Parchment because is a long song and I wanted Hallowed included. Then I just don't like Can I play with Madness so I replaced it with another SSOASS song. I think my setlist is a bit better in the mid of the set. DOTC is better live, but still it's a shit version of The Clansman. Also, The Trooper will be performed better earlier in the set.

Hello fellow Maiden-maniacs (nod to Philly -87). This is me first message here - it is great honour to join the family. I guess there is always room for one more. But without further ado, let`s get started. PS. My nickname is supposed to include "s" in the end, but there was no room even for one more letter.

Creating, changing and modifying setlists has been almost a hobby for me for over a decade, I have accustomed to that and done so hundreds if not thousands of times and then run the gig in my head while sometimes destroying a few melodies along the way with guitar / bass. So this is going to be fun! And obviously one can always come back to a certain setlist again, but to avoid spam I am not going to do so for atleast a couple of years. But enough talking, now it is time for action. So, I recreate the BNW setlist a little bit since it is what I feel like doing and the set is going be what feels right just now. Plus Bruce said back in 2000 that if someone wanted to hear the hits, then he should have come to see us last year.

Brave New World Tour 2000/01

1. The Wicker Man
2. Ghost of the Navigator
3. Brave New World
4. The Trooper
5. Children of the Damned
6. Sign of the Cross
7. Fallen Angel
8. Futureal
9. The Mercenary
10. Blood Brothers
11. Alexander the Great
12. Dream of Mirrors
13. The Clansman
14. Iron Maiden

Encore:
15. Out of the Silent Planet
16. Hallowed Be Thy Name
17. Sanctuary

And there we have it! Now a quick summary:

-Bruce´s three speeches take place before Children of the Damned, Blood Brothers and Out of the Silent Planet
-In general, the first speech is about greeting the audience, telling about plans of conquering the world and playing a lot of new stuff on that particular evening, but also revisiting some more less-played tracks and including one total surprise, and assuring that everyone will have a blast tonight
-The 2nd speech is about the same which Bruce told in the original tour
-The 3rd and final speech is about Bruce assuring Maiden is not going away, this isn`t a one time thing or a nostalgia trip, to get money in the bag and retire, this is taking Maiden back to their highest success and beyond. There will be more albums and tours and then he is welcoming everyone to the Brave New Maiden era
-Well, actually technically very minor speech of around 25 seconds before the Dream of Mirrors, taking the audience reaction in open arms at the edge of the stage from the fumes of ATG and then just saying "That wasn`t a dream, that was Alexander. This is a song off the new album and it is the Dream of Mirrors, thank you".

Thought of and was at the verge of adding a couple more tunes, but decided to stay loyal to the idea of original number of numbers, so sticking with it don`t worry lads. Children of the Damned I took to the set to make room for less-played tracks instead of hits. They just played the greatest hits tour the previous year! And they included it to the CliveAid gigs in 2002 which was sort of BNW themed anyway. Futureal stays in the set from the previous tour because I think it fits well to the set and it just works so well live. Alexander is there to show that Maiden is capable of doing anything they want and not relying on old favourites. And Bruce was already teasing it back in 1999. And at Athens during the real BNW tour.

Overall I think there is a reasonably natural flow throughout the varying songs, and with changing the places of certain songs gives it a boost they in some cases lack. Plus there is a good mix of epics, short rockers and between those there are some cornerstones of the set. It is like building up speed all the time.

Last edited:
A Matter of the Beast Tour 2007

Intro: Mars, the Bringer of War
1: Different World
2: These Colours Don't Run
3: Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
4: The Number of the Beast
5: Run to the Hills
6: 22 Acacia Avenue
7: Paschendale
8: The Longest Day
9: The Prisoner
10: The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
11: The Legacy
12: Fear of the Dark
13: Iron Maiden

Encore:
14: 2 Minutes to Midnight
15: The Evil That Men Do
16: Hallowed Be Thy Name

The Final Frontier World Tour 2011

Intro: Satellite 15
1: The Final Frontier
2: El Dorado
3: 2 Minutes to Midnight
4: The Talisman
5: Coming Home
6: Brighter than a Thousand Suns
7: The Trooper
8: The Alchemist
9: To Tame a Land
10: When the Wild Wind Blows
11: Rainmaker
12: Fear of the Dark
13: Iron Maiden

Encore:
14: The Number of the Beast
15: Out of the Silent Planet
16: Wasted Years

The Final Frontier 2011 with more songs from the album.

1. Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
2. El Dorado
3. 2 Minutes To Midnight
4. The Talisman
5. Coming Home
6. Dance Of Death
7. Mother Of Mercy
8. The Alchemist

9. Blood Brothers
10. Starblind
11. When The Wild Wind Blows
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden
-----------------------------------------------
14. The Number Of The Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

Just changing the current tour to make the flow a bit better...

1. Caught Somewhere in Time
2. Stranger in a Strange land
3. Days of Future Past
4. The Writing on the Wall
5. The Trooper
6. The Time Machine
7. Can I Play with Madness
8. Death of the Celts
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Alexander the Great
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden
=================
13. The Prisoner
14. Hell on Earth
15. Wasted Years

Maiden England 2012-2014 but with a little bit less Somewhere Back In Time

1. Moonchild
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. The Prisoner
4. Infinite Dreams
5. Afraid To Shoot Strangers
6. The Trooper
7. The Number Of The Beast
8. Phantom Of The Opera
9. Still Life
10. Stranger In A Strange Land

11. Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear Of The Dark
14. Iron Maiden
-----------------------------------------
15. Wasted Years
16. The Evil That Men Do
17. Running Free

Future Past World Tour, but 100% perfect instead of 93.33% perfect:

1. Caught Somewhere In Time
2. Stranger In A Strange Land
3. The Writing On The Wall
4. Days of Future Past
5. The Time Machine
6. The Prisoner
7. The Parchment
8. Can I Play With Madness
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Alexander The Great
11. Fear of the Dark
12. Iron Maiden
--------------------------
13. Hell On Earth
14. The Trooper
15. Wasted Years

:p

I am one of those who think the Early Days tour 2005 should have included material only from the first three albums, the 2008/09 tour leaning towards Piece of Mind & Powerslave, and finally Maiden England would have been a blast should they have combined SIT & 7th Son. In tonights post I am focusing on the middle one of those three aforementioned tours:

No idea what the tour should have been called, but here goes, the alternated setlist for the 2008/09 tour is as follows:

1. Aces High
2. 2 Minutes To Midnight
3. Die With Your Boots On
4. Revelations
5. Still Life
6. The Trooper
7. Losfer Words
8. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
9. Powerslave
10. To Tame A Land
11. Flight of Icarus

12. Run to the Hills
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:
14. Where Eagles Dare
15. The Number of the Beast
16. Hallowed Be Thy Name

Quick summary: Combined amount of 12 songs from those two themed classic albums, which would satisfied literally everyone. And most importantly FOTD is dropped. In addition to the ever-present title track off the debut album, there are those three familiar classics from "The Beast". Killer (got it?) setlist even if I say so meself! Not entirely sure of the order though, I am on the verge of changing some of the places of two or three songs, but hey. Its not that serious. Mainly pondering if Where Eagles Dare should be on the frontline, but the Bruce from 15 years ago could have definitely pulled it off as an encore all the same. And as there is apparently no limit to the new songs as long as the amount of songs remains unchanged, I think I´ll leave it as it is.

Last edited:
If they would've followed History Tours correctly, my 2008-2009 SBIT Set would've been

1. Aces High
2. Infinite Dreams
3. Stranger in a Strange Land
4. The Duellists
5. Wasted Years
6. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
7. The Evil That Men Do
8. Powerslave
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
11. Moonchild
12. Alexander the Great
13. Iron Maiden
-----------
14. Caught Somewhere in Time
15. The Clairvoyant
16. 2 Minutes to Midnight

Early Days Tour 2005 (only songs from the first three albums, as a prequel to my 2008-09 post from last August).

1. Murders In The Rue Morgue
2. Sanctuary
3. Wrathchild
4. Prowler
5. Remember Tomorrow
6. Another Life
7. 22 Acacia Avenue
8. Children of the Damned
9. The Prisoner
10. Killers
11. Phantom of the Opera
12. The Number of the Beast
13. Hallowed Be Thy Name
14. Iron Maiden

Encore:

15. Total Eclipse
16. Run To The Hills
17. Running Free

Bruce´s speech before Remember Tomorrow, Children of the Damned, Phantom of the Opera and Total Eclipse, but the band introduction and interaction with audience during Running Free is slightly shortened. Been saving this one for a while, but it was still hard to drop a few songs as there is only room for 17. Shuffled the order of one or two from my original intention, but its not (a matter of) life and death serious, is it.

Edit: Overall I am quite pleased, although in hindsight I would still swap the spots between Prisoner and Killers with each other, to make the set flow better. And to be spesific, during Running Free there would be the crowd pleasing section, just a bit shorter than normally as mentioned above. And at the end of the first song, Dave would hold the long note after his outro solo, transitioning it into the main riff of Sanctuary.

Last edited:
Back