Candlemass

Magnus

Pica Serdica
Only heard the album once so far but I like it a lot.
Has more in common with King of the Grey Islands rather than Epicus Doomicus Metallicus at first listen
Second listen starting now

Confeos

Game time started.
Had my maiden listen of the new album earlier today.

First impressions:
-Johan Längquist sounds good. His voice has gotten a lot grittier, but there are a few moments that could've taken directly from Epicus (most notably "Bridge of the Blind").
-"Bridge of the Blind" is a fully acoustic track - who would've thought? Reminds me of "The Whispering" from Leif's The Doomsday Kingdom-project.
-The album overall picks up right where Death Magic Doom and Psalms for the Dead left off.
-Highlights for me so far are "Splendor Demon Majesty", "Astorolus", "Bridge of the Blind" and "House of Doom".

Magnus

Pica Serdica
"Astorolus" being probably the best one, the sequence of "Death's Wheel" / "Black Trinity" / "House of Doom" works really well (and yes, "House of Doom" is the best of the three).

terrell39

Ancient Mariner
Astorolus & House of Doom are the ones I listened to so far and enjoy them both. Really cool Iommi played! Perfect match with Candlemass. Messiah was the singer when I heard my 1st Candlemass cd (Tales of Creation) so it was not until recently I discovered he was not their 1st singer. Cool they got the original singer back.

They haven't played USA in over 10 years so hopefully a promoter can bring them over. Would love to see them live.

terrell39

Ancient Mariner
Normally that's what I use when I research bands, but I because a Candlemass fan in late 80s with Ancient Dreams & TOC but just never got around to 1st cd, until later with Amazon Music Unlimited

terrell39

Ancient Mariner
A local club just announced Candlemass on April 18th however it is not on the band's website. If this is true, it will be their first US show (outside of a cruise ship) in a long time! Hope it is a legit announcement...

terrell39

Ancient Mariner
Got my Candlemass tix last month for the upcoming show in April here in Houston; YES! Their return to the states after a decade!

BTW, they will release an EP of songs left over from the last sessions soon:

karljant

Ancient Mariner
Hell of an album... Up there with Death Magic Doom and of course some levels below Epicus (it's normal... (Epicus is Epicus!)

Last edited:

karljant

Ancient Mariner
Listened to The Pendulum today... the impression I get it's that the riffs from the title track and Snakes Of Goliath are too derivative of early Sabbath's more doomy stuff like Electric Funeral or Symptom Of The Universe (you'll spot the similitude for sure). Good but not on the same level of the best tracks from The Door To Doom. As for the demos, Porcelain Skull is a great tune but the other are just two acoustic guitar and one distorted bass interludes clocking slightly above 1 minute mark... meh! They might as only discarded these 3 tracks. Other than this is always cool to have 3 more songs from Candlemass.