Can we all please rate The Book Of Souls as one complete album? Not 2 separte discs.

How will you view The Book Of Souls 2 discs?

• As one complete album

Votes: 60 87.0%
  • As 2 separate discs

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
I've noticed that there has been some talk on here about rating TBOS as 2 separate discs and saying one is better than the other and so on. However, the only reason it is 2 discs is because of its length. It's not meant to be 2 different albums. It should still be viewed as one, full album. So, it would be great if everyone on here would rate and review it and so on as one complete album of 11 songs. Do you agree?

Just for fun, I'm including a poll to see how others on here will view it.

People should rate the album however they want. Even if it's meant as a single entity that's separated out of necessity, we are inevitably going to compare the two discs. Expect lots of "which disc is better" polls in this forum's future.

BTW the Iron Maiden survivor will include TBOS as one album, it won't be separated. I will consider allowing four songs to be promoted instead of the normal two if people want that, but so far I'm not planning on it.

Travis, there's "rating" and there's "rating". If I compare two whole different albums, I look at the whole TBOS.

If I "only" focus on TBOS itself (without giving the whole album a grade or something like that), I can do what I want. It's not weird to see a double album as two chapters. Double isn't part of the expression for nothing.

Funnily enough I know I can tolerate around 40 -45 minutes of music. This is why the 80s albums are good for. So for me Maiden are actually releasing 2 albums.

Each of them has rocker,epics etc

Travis, there's "rating" and there's "rating". If I compare two whole different albums, I look at the whole TBOS.

If I "only" focus on TBOS itself (without giving the whole album a grade or something like that), I can do what I want. It's not weird to see a double album as two chapters. Double isn't part of the expression for nothing.

Yep. It's very difficult not to look at the two halves of TBOS separately, because they are distinct. Not sure why we couldn't have kept this discussion as part of the main TBOS thread, to be honest.

I don't care if it's called a "double album" and it comes on two separate discs, I will view it as one continuous album. Did you consider your old Double VHS movies like Titanic to be two separate movies?
If it was two albums, they should be released as such. I'll also be listening to a digital version from itunes. It will be played as one continuous album and I'll forget the break in between the two middle songs.

Yep. It's very difficult not to look at the two halves of TBOS separately, because they are distinct. Not sure why we couldn't have kept this discussion as part of the main TBOS thread, to be honest.
Travis needed to fill his threads per month quota. :p

Ya, because of the poll. And there's so much action in the other thread that many people who just jump straight to the last post might have missed this.

As a complete album, it's not meant to be two separate albums. Hope there will never be something like Book of souls pt 1 and Book of souls pt 2 sold separately in the stores!

Well, it is one album, but the thing is it's too long, therefore there's two discs. So in this vote I will go for "other". I'll rate it as turtles.

I will be viewing it as 1 album. It is simply The Book Of Souls album. But I will also be viewing it as 6 sides across 3 vinyls as well, but overall it's 1 complete album that happens to be on 2 discs/3LP because of time. That's a big reason why I love listening to music on my iPod. I listen to a ton of live concerts (which we all know usually range between 1-4 discs depending in the band) and it's nice to just hear it all flow consecutively through, especially on bootlegs where nothing is edited out between songs.

I don't care if it's called a "double album" and it comes on two separate discs, I will view it as one continuous album. Did you consider your old Double VHS movies like Titanic to be two separate movies?
If it was two albums, they should be released as such. I'll also be listening to a digital version from itunes. It will be played as one continuous album and I'll forget the break in between the two middle songs.
I agree with you. I believe that the album should be considered as a whole continuous effort. Just because it's spread on two different albums is insignificant. However, I do realize that once people rate the entire effort and there driving in their car, they may reach for one disc out of both to listen to their favorite song(s). One thing I love about maiden, and I may be in the minority here, but I love the fact that they now do these incredibly long, epic songs. Maiden is my favorite band to escape and enter the macabre worlds and environments they create. I'm hoping the book is loaded with lyrics and artwork so I can submerse myself in it. These type of albums aren't built for your average car ride! Maiden albums are generally like a terrific experience more than just an album. I confess, and I've been listening to maiden since 1983, book of souls is an instant classic. I've heard the tracks from leaks on YouTube and I cannot wait til my copy arrives this week from bestbuy. They shipped it yesterday should get it by Friday. I personally drsnk the Kool aide and I'm loving every track I hear. Standouts so far are the first track first disc. But unlike every album I'm connecting with every song! So Long story short the album should be rated by both discs because they go together. Everybody is entitled to like certain songs more than others and if they all happen to be on one disc over another, so be it! :)

Back