Can I Play With Madness?

How good is Can I Play With Madness? on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'can I Play With Madness'

It's been a while. :D

Erm, just wanted to say that I was pottering around today after work, trying to get more work done, listening to Maiden, etc. "Can I Play With Madness?" came on and I realised that I had forgotten what a real gem this song is. It's a rocky number (God, I hate myself for being cliché), but one you can have a lot of fun with - and a catchy chorus to boot. To add credibility, or lack thereof, it's in my SMX top 10 list.

Don't quote me on that. It's probably not. :)

I also retract my earlier statement. It was Tintern Abbey. These medieval Cistercian ruins all look the same... :)

Daily Song: Can I Play With Madness?

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Can I Play With Madness?

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

It's not a bad little rocker, but it is tied with The Prophecy for me as the worst song on the album. However, like the other song, it isn't too bad. It's very happy, and things don't seem as tight on this track as they do on the other tracks on the album. It is hovering between a 6 and a 7, but like The Prophecy, it will get a 7.

Re: Daily Song: Can I Play With Madness?

One of the catchiest songs ever written. Still, Bruce's half gospel-church-thingy singing and it's simplicity makes it a 7.

I don't like this song but it gives the Iron Maiden energy to me. Hmm actually not energy I can't explain it sorry.

I will give it a 5.

The worst song off the album for me. It's too happy sounding and has nothing that makes it stand out. 6/10

It is a catchy song, and quite a good one, but it's a little too commercial / radio friendly for me. 7/10

9. Love the vibe, the catchiness and the Zeppelinesque breakdown in the middle.

a very generic maiden rocker thats really too upbeat for this album. I imagine that its better live

6/10

8/10. The third Maiden song that I loved, it's chorus is brilliant, the breakdown in the middle is also cool. Underrated on this board, in my opinion.

It’s got an unconventional drum pattern, a middle section that comes completely out of left field, and a majorly geeky lyric, yet it somehow gets slagged for being too commercial. So it rocks, and the chorus is catchy as hell. That’s a bad thing? Eight.

It's not a bad song, but musically sounds very out of place on the album.  I like the middle section. 6

A catchy as hell main riff, a catchy as hell chorus, odd breakdown and bizarre solo from Adrian.  A mischievous fun rocker versus the many serious Maiden rockers.  Self-aware that it's not as complex as the epic songs surrounding it on the album.  The band obviously rate this song and enjoy playing it enough to make it a setlist regular.

Many classics have suffered due to overplay but to my ears, and I'm not sure why, this song keeps geting better.

Probably the most memorable song Maiden has done. The chorus is awesome, short solo, but I can't give it higher that a 7.

Catchy, OK, but in the vein of short, catchy numbers Maiden have done a lot better (see Aces High). There is nothing really special about this song to me, and it feels out of place on Seventh Son (except for the lyrics, that obviously tie in with the concept). 6/10.

is the verse drum pattern identical to ghost of the navigator ?

Annoying, overly happy, and it doesn't even work live though you might expect it.  The lyrics fit in the album's story, but that's about it.  6.

8/10 - Good song, not brilliant, but pretty good. Yes, it's pretty commercial, it's quite poppy, but so what. ;)

Has to be a 7 for me - and only gets that due to the middle part.

The video was the best thing about this song for me.

Cannot understand why they choose to revisit this song in concert either - especially when classics like CSIT, Infinite Dreams and ATG get totally ignored live.

never mind...

The best hard rock Maiden ever! Catchy as hell, yet so god damn original. And yes, this R'n'R breakdown in the middle is just brilliant! 9/10

Back