Buckethead

Shadows Between the Sky
Another mellow album, always interested in these!

Favorite Songs
Shadows Between the Sky - Love the Spanish style guitar. Pretty upbeat overall, interesting stuff.
Inward Journey - Another Buckethead tune that totally lives up to its title.
Sea Wall
Sled Ride
Cliff's Stare
Wax Paper
Walk On the Moon

The Verdict
Very busy today so no in depth reviews, but I really enjoyed this one! Some pretty upbeat moments, not as dark as some of his other mellow albums. Very relaxing actually. Also like the way the songs flow. Felt like there was some sort of story going on. Everything sort of blended together, which is a double edged sword in this context. On one hand, not as many songs make the playlist, but I'm more likely to revisit this album later.

Spinal Clock
Interested to hear something focused on Buckethead's banjo playing. I enjoy some good banjo shredding.

Favorite Songs
Four O'Clock For Dub Down
Overnight The Animatronics
Skeleton Dance
Bayou By You

The Verdict
No shredding but I actually liked this. It was very minimalist but I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere. Even tunes like Gelatin Nerve which were basically just one note through the whole thing had a nice vibe. Lots of interesting rhythmic stuff too. The heavy reverb also contributed to the mood.

One more to go!

Well, still two conventional non-Pikes albums to go, if we're going to get picky. But, yeh, one more to go before the first Pike. Which Pike are you going to listen to first though? Pike #1 wasn't the first! These issues, & more, will need to be discussed before you proceed...

I will try to get to Captain EO tonight and then I'll take a week off, so plenty of time for that :p

Are you talking about 3 Foot Clearance? I know that one came first but I think I will listen to them in numerical order anyway.

Are you talking about 3 Foot Clearance? I know that one came first but I think I will listen to them in numerical order anyway.
Yes & no, depending on what you're asking. 3 Foot Clearance was released in December 2010 before the Pikes site & concept was launched/known. It became Pike #3. So yes, that was the next album after Captain EO's Voyage, not It's Alive (Pike #1). The conventional album I was referring to was Electric Sea (2012), which came out between Pike 5 and 6. If you've looked at Wiki you'll know all this anyway...

Ah yes Electric Sea. Not sure how I'll fit that in.

Captain EO's Voyage
This is an album I've already heard a few times. The title attracted me, as I was also a fan of the Captain EO attraction at Disneyland.

Favorite Songs
Captain EO's Voyage
Infinity Appears
Stained Glass Hill
Star Chasing
Dancing The Dream
The Siphoning Sequence
Chase the Darkness Out

The Verdict
Love this album. Easily in my top three by Buckethead and a perfect way to cap his pre-Pikes career. This album flows beautifully. It really feels like a musical journey. The vibe is tranquil and the music is ethereal. Buckethead also shows restraint in his playing. He always plays the right amount at the right time. Sometimes it's a simple chord progression to help set the mood, sometimes it's an explosive bluesy solo. Whatever it is, it always works here.

So tomorrow I will dive into the pikes, but first some thoughts on Buckethead's pre-Pikes discography:

First of all, just getting this far is a pretty big achievement for me. I remember when I first discovered Buckethead, before the Pikes started, I thought his discography was huge. I hadn't discovered the likes of Frank Zappa or Devin Townsend or other highly prolific artists, so 25+ albums was an insane amount. I always wanted to marathon his discography sometime, but once he started doing the Pikes I pretty much gave up on that idea.

The biggest surprise for me was how consistent he was. It takes awhile for the high quality albums to come, but once they do they're pretty much all good with only a few clunkers. I enjoyed almost everything after Bermuda Triangle. With the exception of his early electronic period, you really can't divide Buckethead into eras the way you can with someone like Zappa. He shifts gears a lot and there isn't much obvious progression from album to album. This can be frustrating as there are some ideas I would've liked to see him build on. On the other hand, it keeps things interesting.

You can group his albums based on styles. This might make it easier for the aspiring Buckethead fan. Here are my recommended albums for each style:

The "Traditional" Buckethead
This is the shred based guitar oriented music Buckethead is best known for. The majority of his work could fall into this category, even some of the stuff I've placed in other categories. But I'm mainly focused on heavier, riff driven stuff.

Giant Robot - This might be nostalgia talking, as he has better albums, but this album had a charm that I was disappointed never really returned in his music. There's some interesting music in here with a lot of variety. Come for his rendition of Star Wars, stay for the infectious Binge and Grab.

Crime Slunk Scene - This has one of his most famous tracks: Soothsayer. Like Island of Lost Minds, it focuses on catchy riffs and great guitar playing.

Albino Slug - This is one of his most diverse albums. He displays a lot of different styles here and even incorporates his mellow side more, which was separate for a long time. This is a really good one to start with if you want to hear Buckethead's range as a musician.

The Mellow Buckethead
This is the side of Buckethead I like best. He writes great riffs, but his more acoustic sounding stuff just can't be beat. He really sets a great mood with these albums. I recommend listening to them all, but I'll limit myself to three:

Colma - This is probably the best known of this group, probably because it came out first. A very calming but dark album.

Electric Tears - Recommending for Sketches of Spain, but there's so much great music here. Much more hypnotic than Colma.

Captain EO's Voyage - The last album I listened to. This one does feel like a musical journey. Some of the most ethereal music I've ever heard. Really captures the emptiness of space.

The Electronic Buckethead

This is my least favorite side of Buckethead. I love electronic music, but I don't think he's good at it. That being said:

Funnel Weaver - Check this one out for a taste of his electronic side. It gives you a nice sampling of that style in the form of 50 short tunes. Nothing overstays its welcome and there are some interesting ideas throughout the album. Give it a try and if you're interested there are several albums from this period to check out.

The Experimental Buckethead

Of course Buckethead is also known for occasionally dabbling in the avant-garde. This stuff isn't going to be for everyone, but he has some interesting ideas in these albums.

Kaleidoscalp - This album had an interesting concept. it revolves around Buckethead manipulating the circuits on instruments to create sound effects over the music. There's some weird stuff on here and it gets old after awhile, but it's worth a shot anyway IMO if you want to hear his experimental side.

Forensic Follies/Needle In a Slunk Stack - These two are grouped together because they might as well be a double album. They are both an exploration in xenochrony - a technique that consists of taking parts of an existing song to create something new. It was something Frank Zappa did a lot and I find it fascinating. He creates some interesting glitchy sounds on these albums.

Spinal Clock - This one features the banjo as the main instrument instead of the guitar. It's a very dark minimalist album. Put this on if you want some creepy vibes.

Other
These are albums that are more one offs and aren't really part of any particular category.

Enter the Chicken - Most Buckethead music is instrumental, this one is mostly vocal driven. Some really good songs on here. Good introduction to Buckethead if you prefer vocals in your music.

Population Override - This is his closest venture into Jazz fusion. It's also a collaboration album which is rare for him. The synth leads add a new color to his sound that make this album stand out in a big way. One of my favorites.

The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell - The heaviest Buckethead album. This one is pure metal. If you want brutality, this is the one to go for. It's heavy, dark, abrasive, but still retains Buckethead's signature groove and melodic sense.

Nice summary @Mosh, most of which I broadly agree with. A couple of points/questions...

Taking into account your views of these albums what do you think about the speed/frequency of Buckethead's album releases?
What do you think about the production of his releases?
Are you going to explore all the collaboration albums that were recorded around Population Override? (You'd like them!)
Are you going to explore any of his other works e.g. with bands like Praxis?
Do you you have any views on his time/work with GNR?
What do you think, going into the Pikes, about the Pikes format e.g. length, release rate, quality, purpose, etc?
Have you listened to or do you have any views on Buckethead's live performances e.g. using a backing track/no band?
Do you have any further views on guitar technique, guitar tone, use of detuning, baritone guitars, his bass playing, etc?
How do you view Buckethead's musical output in a broader context i.e. in comparison to other artists that you like &/or listen to?
Why are doing this?

Taking into account your views of these albums what do you think about the speed/frequency of Buckethead's album releases?
Well I can't speak to the Pikes obviously, but the quality control for the albums so far seems insanely high considering how frequent they are. Granted, there isn't a lot to this music. He isn't making meticulously composed progressive rock or anything. It's mostly jams. What I've read/heard about Buckethead so far, he seems like the spend-all-day-in-the-studio type. So it makes sense taking all these things into account.

What do you think about the production of his releases?
Production is pretty good. The drum machines toward the end were pretty impressive. Sonically it all sounds good, although it'd be nice to hear him playing with a band more. But nothing sounds like it's demo quality or low budget. His guitar sound helps with this. Especially on albums like Captain EO with all the guitar overdubs, it all sounds very immersive.

Are you going to explore all the collaboration albums that were recorded around Population Override? (You'd like them!)
Yes. Probably not right away but eventually I'm going to check those out.

Are you going to explore any of his other works e.g. with bands like Praxis?
Maybe. The Praxis stuff didn't sound too interesting but I might check it out anyway out of curiosity. Nothing too in depth though, unless it's really good.

Do you you have any views on his time/work with GNR?
Yea the GNR period actually really fascinates me. I like the Chinese Democracy album and his solos are all really top notch. I've watched some videos of GNR from when he was in the band and those are cool too. Still can't wrap my head around how much of a bizarre combination that was though.

What do you think, going into the Pikes, about the Pikes format e.g. length, release rate, quality, purpose, etc?
I'm expecting a lot of filler, but then again I was expecting that with the pre-Pikes material too and that wasn't really the case so who knows. Like I said, a lot of his music is just jamming. A good improviser can theoretically have something interesting to say for as long as he plays, so we'll see what happens. But I'm still skeptical and suspect that the quality control will lower quite a bit. I'm looking forward to it though. Hopefully with releasing so many albums at a time, there's room for a lot of variety. I'm actually kinda curious about some of the more experimental Pikes.

Have you listened to or do you have any views on Buckethead's live performances e.g. using a backing track/no band?
Yea I've watched some live videos. I don't mind him using a backing track. I would prefer he use a full band but I get it. He's the main event anyway. I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have the finances/resources to rehearse a full band for tours. I've done gigs with a backing track too when I wasn't able to get a full band together. I more have a problem when bands like Dream Theater use backing tracks when they have a full band and the extra stuff is unnecessary.

Do you have any further views on guitar technique, guitar tone, use of detuning, baritone guitars, his bass playing, etc?
I like it. I love baritone guitars but they're not used for much other than heavy chugging riffs. That's all fine but there's more you can do with it and Buckethead really takes advantage. I particularly like the baritone guitars on the mellower albums. As for bass playing, he plays bass the way a guitarist would. Love his slap work though. That's always welcome.
In general I like hearing musicians try other instruments. So it's always fun hearing him pick up a banjo or something.

How do you view Buckethead's musical output in a broader context i.e. in comparison to other artists that you like &/or listen to?
Well the whole guitar based instrumental rock thing isn't really something I listen to much. So far I've found his music more interesting than the likes of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani. I don't see him becoming a favorite but I feel like I understand his work better. Going forward I see myself listening to the Buckethead playlist I've been putting together but will probably only rarely seek out full albums. That being said, I've only heard everything once. There's some potential for future favorites in there.

Why are doing this?
I like a good challenge :D

I started the Pikes project today. Listened to Pikes 1 and 2. Off to a really good start! They both had their own unique characteristics and were thoroughly interesting. Pike 1 seemed more based on riffs while Pike 2 had more experimental and shreddy moments. Good stuff!

I've got to ask, how does one even begin to comprehend getting into Buckethead with such an insanely vast discography? I've listened to some of his tracks, and have liked what I have heard but trying to listen to more his back catalogue is incredibly daunting.

I've got to ask, how does one even begin to comprehend getting into Buckethead with such an insanely vast discography? I've listened to some of his tracks, and have liked what I have heard but trying to listen to more his back catalogue is incredibly daunting.
Already answered this in an earlier post:

So tomorrow I will dive into the pikes, but first some thoughts on Buckethead's pre-Pikes discography:

First of all, just getting this far is a pretty big achievement for me. I remember when I first discovered Buckethead, before the Pikes started, I thought his discography was huge. I hadn't discovered the likes of Frank Zappa or Devin Townsend or other highly prolific artists, so 25+ albums was an insane amount. I always wanted to marathon his discography sometime, but once he started doing the Pikes I pretty much gave up on that idea.

The biggest surprise for me was how consistent he was. It takes awhile for the high quality albums to come, but once they do they're pretty much all good with only a few clunkers. I enjoyed almost everything after Bermuda Triangle. With the exception of his early electronic period, you really can't divide Buckethead into eras the way you can with someone like Zappa. He shifts gears a lot and there isn't much obvious progression from album to album. This can be frustrating as there are some ideas I would've liked to see him build on. On the other hand, it keeps things interesting.

You can group his albums based on styles. This might make it easier for the aspiring Buckethead fan. Here are my recommended albums for each style:

The "Traditional" Buckethead
This is the shred based guitar oriented music Buckethead is best known for. The majority of his work could fall into this category, even some of the stuff I've placed in other categories. But I'm mainly focused on heavier, riff driven stuff.

Giant Robot - This might be nostalgia talking, as he has better albums, but this album had a charm that I was disappointed never really returned in his music. There's some interesting music in here with a lot of variety. Come for his rendition of Star Wars, stay for the infectious Binge and Grab.

Crime Slunk Scene - This has one of his most famous tracks: Soothsayer. Like Island of Lost Minds, it focuses on catchy riffs and great guitar playing.

Albino Slug - This is one of his most diverse albums. He displays a lot of different styles here and even incorporates his mellow side more, which was separate for a long time. This is a really good one to start with if you want to hear Buckethead's range as a musician.

The Mellow Buckethead
This is the side of Buckethead I like best. He writes great riffs, but his more acoustic sounding stuff just can't be beat. He really sets a great mood with these albums. I recommend listening to them all, but I'll limit myself to three:

Colma - This is probably the best known of this group, probably because it came out first. A very calming but dark album.

Electric Tears - Recommending for Sketches of Spain, but there's so much great music here. Much more hypnotic than Colma.

Captain EO's Voyage - The last album I listened to. This one does feel like a musical journey. Some of the most ethereal music I've ever heard. Really captures the emptiness of space.

The Electronic Buckethead

This is my least favorite side of Buckethead. I love electronic music, but I don't think he's good at it. That being said:

Funnel Weaver - Check this one out for a taste of his electronic side. It gives you a nice sampling of that style in the form of 50 short tunes. Nothing overstays its welcome and there are some interesting ideas throughout the album. Give it a try and if you're interested there are several albums from this period to check out.

The Experimental Buckethead

Of course Buckethead is also known for occasionally dabbling in the avant-garde. This stuff isn't going to be for everyone, but he has some interesting ideas in these albums.

Kaleidoscalp - This album had an interesting concept. it revolves around Buckethead manipulating the circuits on instruments to create sound effects over the music. There's some weird stuff on here and it gets old after awhile, but it's worth a shot anyway IMO if you want to hear his experimental side.

Forensic Follies/Needle In a Slunk Stack - These two are grouped together because they might as well be a double album. They are both an exploration in xenochrony - a technique that consists of taking parts of an existing song to create something new. It was something Frank Zappa did a lot and I find it fascinating. He creates some interesting glitchy sounds on these albums.

Spinal Clock - This one features the banjo as the main instrument instead of the guitar. It's a very dark minimalist album. Put this on if you want some creepy vibes.

Other
These are albums that are more one offs and aren't really part of any particular category.

Enter the Chicken - Most Buckethead music is instrumental, this one is mostly vocal driven. Some really good songs on here. Good introduction to Buckethead if you prefer vocals in your music.

Population Override - This is his closest venture into Jazz fusion. It's also a collaboration album which is rare for him. The synth leads add a new color to his sound that make this album stand out in a big way. One of my favorites.

The Cuckoo Clocks of Hell - The heaviest Buckethead album. This one is pure metal. If you want brutality, this is the one to go for. It's heavy, dark, abrasive, but still retains Buckethead's signature groove and melodic sense.
See what column most appeals to you and then try out one of the recommended albums.

Back