Bruce nasty to fans??

I've met him twice. The first time was when he was taking part in a charity event a few towns over from me a few years ago. We had a very nice 5 minute conversation about his airlander thing he was involved in at the time, and I spoke about the upcoming gigs I was going and said I was seeing one of his son's bands in a few weeks, and how I was really impressed with them when I last saw them. He was very flattered and signed my Empire of the Clouds record and had his picture taken with me. Incidentally I met him again at his son's gig a few weeks later, albeit very briefly! He was very polite but obviously wanting to speak to his family/friends, which is fair enough as it was his son's gig and he probably wasn't expecting to be approached.

He can be rude. I know a guy who ripped off his Maiden shirt in front of Bruce after being told to fuck off.
What was the context of that happening then? Did he approach Bruce in the street when he was with his girlfriend or something?

What was the context of that happening then? Did he approach Bruce in the street when he was with his girlfriend or something?
I wasn't there so I don't know for sure. Both could probably have been a bit nicer and more respectful.

Here's few of "those instances"

As you can see, it's always them approaching him/his entourage in the worst possible time. Arrivals to venues, airports, restaurants or whatever. From the perspective of an artist this is quite disrespectful.

'He refused to sign Iron Maiden albums' = he refused to add significant value to mint condition vinyl that 'fan' would put on ebay afterwards.

I'm not fandom kind of a person but I guess if I were I'd cherish the moment of signing more than the signature itself. From that point I presume these people are not fans but going for the easy money or exposure for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave being a jerk

does-not-compute.jpg

I'm not fandom kind of a person but I guess if I were I'd cherish the moment of signing more than the signature itself.
Yes, exactly. I don’t really get the album signing thing — maybe one signature, if that’s important to you as having a tangible thing. But when people show up at official events and wordlessly shove a stack of albums at an artist and expect them to sign them like a trained monkey, it’s pretty appalling. Even worse if they ambush them outside of official events to do the same thing.

I feel like signatures and pictures are often more about proving to others that you met the person rather than having a tangible memento for yourself. I mean, I guess it’s cool that I have a few pictures of myself with Bruce and Adrian and Roy Z., but it’s the memories of those conversations and concerts that actually matter to me.

One of the issues as I see it, is that some fans won't take no for an answer and will keep pushing for the autograph and the contact even if it's obvious that Bruce/whoeever doesn't have the time right now. It's quite obvious in some of the videos above how people will keep following him and keep calling out "Bruce!, Bruce!" and start getting agitated even if they can tell that he is busy. That would be enough to drive anyone crazy especially if you are on a time schedule and have to be somewhere at a certain time.

My friend says nobody was around Bruce/bothering him, he was on his own in the hotel lobby (she can’t believe I want to hear these stories) He was quietly & respectfully approached by her friend, who was crushed, he’d idolised Bruce since he was small.
I love that Mullet Man sketch. xx

I get pissy after a simple eight hour work day and on the weekends, I'm more or less happier just having time to myself.

I couldn't imagine being Bruce doing all of the things he does and not wanting to be left alone when he's not doing such things. The guy isn't a robot. I would honestly be the last person on Earth to approach any of the members if I happened to see them. I don't need a signature or some pic to make me happy. I already have the music.

Here's few of "those instances"

As you can see, it's always them approaching him/his entourage in the worst possible time. Arrivals to venues, airports, restaurants or whatever. From the perspective of an artist this is quite disrespectful.

'He refused to sign Iron Maiden albums' = he refused to add significant value to mint condition vinyl that 'fan' would put on ebay afterwards.

I'm not fandom kind of a person but I guess if I were I'd cherish the moment of signing more than the signature itself. From that point I presume these people are not fans but going for the easy money or exposure for themselves.

He's not even rude in those videos, he's just trying to focus on something else while people are pestering him for attention he made clear he can't give them. The person in the third video is the worst, you can see he has ten or more items he wants him to sign, as do others around him... doesn't he realise Bruce has other things to do?

Yes, exactly. I don’t really get the album signing thing — maybe one signature, if that’s important to you as having a tangible thing. But when people show up at official events and wordlessly shove a stack of albums at an artist and expect them to sign them like a trained monkey, it’s pretty appalling. Even worse if they ambush them outside of official events to do the same thing.

I feel like signatures and pictures are often more about proving to others that you met the person rather than having a tangible memento for yourself. I mean, I guess it’s cool that I have a few pictures of myself with Bruce and Adrian and Roy Z., but it’s the memories of those conversations and concerts that actually matter to me.
And the boasting about it of course ("proving to others that you met the person"). ;--)

If you forget that he’s in an amazing band he’s just a lil old man & he’s being chased down the street in the 2nd video. I want to reassure him. Now I’m thinking re a robot Bruce. xx

It is very unlikely that all six of IM members will be nice.
I always had the impession that Dave & Nicko are jerks, Adrian & Janick are nice guys, while Bruce & Steve are somewhere in the middle (with Steve slightly nicer than Bruce).

I grew up with all these stories in the metal press about how nice and down to earth the band members are, and how pleased they are to meet their fans. I heard stories from fans telling me exactly that too. In my naivety I decided to test that by waiting for the band to arrive to the massive venue they were headlining in Madrid in July 2000. It was just 6 of us, under very intense heat (it was in July in Spain!), behind some barriers, waiting in a very civilised way not far from the access to the backstage area. Maiden arrived at the venue in two separate vans and the only thing we got, after cheering politely when they were getting off the vans, was a polite wave (majestic?) from Adrian. The other band members did not even acknowledge our presence. :lol: Did it spoil my enjoyment of the gig? No, it didn't. Did I have to remove any of my tattoos? Nope, as I don't have any.

Since then I have not gone the extra mile to meet anyone.

I would be curious to hear about the context for some of these fan “interactions.” Not that I don’t believe the notion of Bruce being a jerk, but I also know that a lot of people can be capable of showing a real lack of boundaries/respect for personal space.

Hear, hear!

Once upon a time, I was a singer in a local metal band. During our short career we had the opportunity to support some well-known bands when they played in our neck of the woods. We did go down quite well with the audience and, after 3 years of rocking and rolling, I left the band to pursue a different career.

A couple of years after that, I went to see Maiden and, as you do, I visited the gents after the support act had finished playing their set. To my surprise, a guy I did not know came to me and asked me "Are you the singer of xxxxx? I saw you when you supported yyyyy zzzz and you were brilliant!". I was embarrassed and flattered, thanked him, and shook his hand (after we both had washed our hands, I should add).

A similar thing happened some years later, again in the gents of a completely different venue, in a completely different place, where a tribute band were playing. Random guy says: "You are the singer of xxxxx! I saw you with yyyyy zzzz and you rocked!". Embarrassment guaranteed, quick chat, and polite thanks ensued.

If this happened to me, who I am not even a footnote in the history of rock and roll, I cannot imagine what famous musicians have to endure, day in and day out.

I have read internet stories about Dave being a jerk around the mid 2000s.
"Being a jerk" as in "not respecting somebody's sense of entitlement to use people who happen to be artists but are currently off-duty as part of after-sales service of some listening experience"? Well, that would put a lot of celebrities in the "jerk" category. Maybe it was just not a moment he wanted to be crowded by unknown people, which is respectable in itself.

Hear, hear!

Once upon a time, I was a singer in a local metal band. During our short career we had the opportunity to support some well-known bands when they played in our neck of the woods. We did go down quite well with the audience and, after 3 years of rocking and rolling, I left the band to pursue a different career.

A couple of years after that, I went to see Maiden and, as you do, I visited the gents after the support act had finished playing their set. To my surprise, a guy I did not know came to me and asked me "Are you the singer of xxxxx? I saw you when you supported yyyyy zzzz and you were brilliant!". I was embarrassed and flattered, thanked him, and shook his hand (after we both had washed our hands, I should add).

A similar thing happened some years later, again in the gents of a completely different venue, in a completely different place, where a tribute band were playing. Random guy says: "You are the singer of xxxxx! I saw you with yyyyy zzzz and you rocked!". Embarrassment guaranteed, quick chat, and polite thanks ensued.

If this happened to me, who I am not even a footnote in the history of rock and roll, I cannot imagine what famous musicians have to endure, day in and day out.

Oh my god, you're famous! Can I have your autograph on ten vinyl covers?

Back