Bruce interview in Metal Hammer

@Zare, it might be possile that Janick will do the 2 Minutes to Midnight solo again, or else he'll only get 2 or 3 solos. I know you don't mind, but I'm pretty sure that the three amigoes wouldn't like that.

Zare said:
The Evil That Men Do sounds really shitty with the double solo. Reffering to RIR version...it's way, way too loud and exponed. That's a somewhat slower-paced emotional solo, and when you double it, it becomes too loud and loses it's touch.

Besides, a combination of note-perfect Adrian and sloppy-experimentalist Janick playing the same solo is not what you would call a dream team.

Well it's not exactly the same. There's a harmony in it, remember?

About Run To The Hills,

-it was not played in the Blaze era (guess why?)
-it was played only 5 times in the BNW-tour (the 3 Clive gigs from 2002 included)
-it was not played in the AMOLAD-tour in 2006, where Hallowed Be Thy Name was the only NOTB track.

The start of TETMD features a harmony, but i'm talking about the main solo played by H.

There's no two-guitar stuff in that solo. The part that sounds like two delayed guitars (when he waves his guitar left-right on the promo video), is achieved by pitch-echo-delay combination. The last line in the solo is doubled by pitch pedal which is set to zero interval, thus the sound is doubled, much like in Infinite Dreams intro (again, not a harmony, H plays that alone with the help of doubling effect).

In essence, main solo sounds way, way too loud in RIR version, and pretty ackward.

Jan could do the 23:58 solo, i could settle for that.

Regarding RTTH, i never paid much attention to Blaze era bootlegs, so i missed it. Yeah, because of his vocal limitation (even Bruce has a hard time to pull that scream at the end of the show...).

I didn't know that it wasn't featured on the whole BNW tour, i have only Rock In Rio orig. DVD from that era. Whoops, i have Dynamo 30.06.2000 audio bootleg, and i just saw there's no RTTH on it.

I also wasn't aware of the AMOLAD tour, i know that they had 14 song setlists and 10 songs played from the new album, but i didn't think they ditched out RTTH.

Thanks for input mate. But still, they played "Iron Maiden" on every show, right?

Yep :)

Iron Maiden and Hallowed Be Thy Name are the only 2 tracks, never ever left out of a Maiden gig. Will 2008 bring any change?

Forostar said:
Yep :)

Iron Maiden and Hallowed Be Thy Name are the only 2 tracks, never ever left out of a Maiden gig. Will 2008 bring any change?

I know 1 (maybe 2?) concert(s) where they never played Hallowed...

Reactions: 425
Ones from 1976,'77,'78,'79,'80 and '81.  :D

Nah, 2008 won't bring any change. Hallowed is the essential setlist song. I think they'd rather drop their anthem than HBTN.

From that list of extremely overplayed songs like HBTN, RTTH, The Trooper, Iron Maiden, Sanctuary, HBTN is the one i'd really want to hear. I will still enjoy any of those above, but i'd rather have some mid'80s gem song in the setlist instead of overplayed stuff.

Maybe they haven't played it in New York a couple of years ago when someone threw beer on the mixing desk before the encores. I'm not sure, though.

BTW, I managed to find the interview with Nicko where he states the following:

The great thing about it is that you know full well you're always get 'Iron Maiden' — it's the show closer, it's the signature song for the band. That will always be played last, and that's usually when you'll get the feature of whatever the theatrics we have on the stage — the entertainment side. We'll always have the album theme with a special effect come out — you're always gonna get that. One thing you always will have is 'Hallowed be thy Name', because I… myself and Steve, it's both our favorite IRON MAIDEN song to play live. And I made a deal with Steve years ago, and I said, 'If there's ever a time when you decide you don't want to do this song, you're gonna have to go get a new drummer.'

gulranek said:
Maybe they haven't played it in New York a couple of years ago when someone threw beer on the mixing desk before the encores. I'm not sure, though.

The info is right at your fingertips. ;)
Hallowed wasn't in the encore block during the Dance Of Death Tour, so it was played at that gig... only the encores (Journeyman through Run To The Hills) didn't get played

gulranek said:
[iOne thing you always will have is 'Hallowed be thy Name', because I… myself and Steve, it's both our favorite IRON MAIDEN song to play live. And I made a deal with Steve years ago, and I said, 'If there's ever a time when you decide you don't want to do this song, you're gonna have to go get a new drummer.'[/i]

Well, if Nicko feels so strong about this particular song, fine. It is, after all, one of their best songs, so I wouldn't mind if they so decided to play it twice in every concert. (But if they played it as many times as Paschendale would be in that list SMX made some time ago, it could perhaps be a little too much  ;))

Zare said:
Ones from 1976,'77,'78,'79,'80 and '81.  :D

Nah, 2008 won't bring any change. Hallowed is the essential setlist song. I think they'd rather drop their anthem than HBTN.

From that list of extremely overplayed songs like HBTN, RTTH, The Trooper, Iron Maiden, Sanctuary, HBTN is the one i'd really want to hear. I will still enjoy any of those above, but i'd rather have some mid'80s gem song in the setlist instead of overplayed stuff.

The last gig in Dortmund on the World Piece tour...

Both Westfallenhalle nights feature Hallowed Be Thy Name.

They are incomplete bootlegs. Also, the FM high-quality bootleg of the first night doesn't feature several songs including HBTN, but the audience bootleg of that night does.

Lookee here: http://www.iprash.com/2008/02/01/iron-m ... onference/

2) what are the band members favourite Iron Maiden songs?

Bruce Dickinson : Moonchild, Rime of the ancient mariner.
Adrian Smith : Moonchild, Rime of the ancient mariner.
Dave Murray : Rime of the ancient mariner.

---

Can this be a hint directed towards the setlist? (BTW, sorry, I noticed a new topic about the same press conference after I posted this.)

Few more hours left, then we'll know who won the bet!  :)

Back