Bruce interview in Metal Hammer

Ranko

I'll shoot the gunner first!
Check out this article, you have the links to the six scanned pages of Metal Hammer with Bruce's interview.

He has stated some interesting things, here are the quotes:

"I'm looking forward to this so much. Looking at the setlist for this tour, I keep having to pinch myself, thinking about the songs we're going to do and the reaction I expect we'll get. It's not just a celebration of 'Live After Death', it's a celebration of everything we've done and achieved together since Adrian and I got back into the band." :D :D :D

"... when we laid the songs end to end and you realise that we're doing that song and then that song and then that song, and, oh my god, that one."

"It's not a complete facsimile of [LAD] tour [...], so there's a few things from SIT, one or two from SSOASS and we haven't ditched all the stuff from NOTB."

The map of the upcoming tour stops on page 3 of the article is amusing.  Looks like the band plan to hit only Kansas City and Austin in the U.S.    :p

Good topic this one !

Zare, it's good setlist this one, although I don't think they will play too many Powerslave songs...

Considering Wasted Years it's the typical song they would play in a tour like this as it epitomizes the band's career and besides WY is a classic "arena rock" from the 80s...I can even imagine Bruce in "mute mode" asking the crowd to sing the chorus...WY is a good song to finish the set before encore.

Soooooo understand.....

cheers

I would love to hear Seventh Son of a Seventh Son live... As someone who is new to Iron Maiden's music, I have to say that this is one of my favorite songs. I have also noticed that they only played it in the SSOASS tour...  :(

Only 1 epic ?

hummmm ROTAM for sure...

I would love to see them playing SSOASS...hope they play it at the Curitiba concert. A friend of mine will be there registering everything for me.

cornfedhick said:
..... Looks like the band plan to hit only Kansas City and Austin in the U.S.    :p

AUSTIN !!!...Lol...I wish....I think thats gonna be a San Antonio date. Probably at the Verizon or the Alamodome. Either way, I'm gonna be right up front some way somehow.

Hey. People. Pay attention, please.

YOU DON'T NEED TO USE SPOILER TAGS FOR YOUR OWN PERSONAL SPECULATIONS.

Guessing about the set list is not a spoiler. A quote from Bruce might be, but not your own guesses.

PLEASE STOP USING SPOILER TAGS FOR NON-SPOILERS.

They played  Losfer Words on the LAD tour Ardius, not sure if it was played at Long Beach...

They featured Losfer Words  on the Run to the Hills (live) single (release date : Dec 2nd 1985)

- Run to the Hills (live)
- Phantom of the Opera (live)
- Losfer Words (live)

I have both double-vinyl and a CD LAD package + VHS videotape, there's no Losfer Words on either one. But it has been played on the tour, check out IMC tour section.

I think there will be at least 3 SSOASS songs, and a maximum of 2 NOTB tracks.

Heh, i wish that too. They could bypass RTTH this time, which would make room for an additional SSOASS track.

Zare, it's good setlist this one, although I don't think they will play too many Powerslave songs...

Considering Wasted Years it's the typical song they would play in a tour like this as it epitomizes the band's career and besides WY is a classic "arena rock" from the 80s...I can even imagine Bruce in "mute mode" asking the crowd to sing the chorus...WY is a good song to finish the set before encore.

They're playing minimum four Powerslave tracks, i will put my money on that one, 101% sure. It's going to open with Aces High, ROTAM is already confirmed as sole ultra-long epic of the show, they'll play Powerslave as the track that the scenery around them is going to depict, and 23:58 is a great single, and they play it rather often.

Again, they could suprise us and play songs they haven't played before, but don't count on it. Losfer Words has been played, and IMHO it's the only unsure setlist entry of the Powerslave section.

Yeah, Wasted Years is going to be played. I just said that if i had to pick 4 SIT songs out of 5 that have been played (well six have been played, but TLOTLDR has been played only in Belgrade so we won't count that), i'd pick the title track, Sea Of Madness, Wasted Years and Stranger In A Strange Land. Altrough HCW is the lowest ranking song of the SIT in my opinion, it's still a great song and it's live performance beats Wasted Years.

What i find rather interesting, is the following statement from Bruce;

we're doing that song and then that song and, oh my god, that song.

Therefore, i think we're going to get some suprise. No i'm not saying they'll play Flash Of The Blade, Alexander The Great, Deja Vu or Only The Good Die Young, i'm saying this;

- Aces High has been played on the EdHuntour. So it's not a long time for a Bruce to get suprised by it's entry.
- 23:58 has been played on couple of tours of 21st century.
- Powerslave has not been played since the original tour, but Bruce played it in 1997 with Smith, Z, Ingraham and Cassilas in 1997 on the AOB tour, me thinks. So no real suprise for Bruce there either.
- ROTAM has been long confirmed, and he said in the interview that it's fun to relearn the lyrics again. So no suprise there.

TNOTB stuff, HBTN and RTTH + their anthem...i think they're dreaming that songs because they've played them 10e-382 times.

- Heaven Can Wait was played on 6 or 7 tours i believe, with the last entry only couple of years ago.
- Wasted Years has been played on the EdHuntour
- SIASL has been played on the EdHuntour

...well you get my point. I think we're getting a song or two that hasn't been played since the original tour. Id' like to have this kind of setlist (well i'd like OTGDY and Deja Vu too, but let's take a reality pill...)

1. Intro - Chruchill's Speech
2. Aces High
3. Two Minutes To Midnight
4. Sea Of Madness
5. Infinite Dreams
6. Powerslave
7. Hallowed Be Thy Name
8. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
9. Intro 2 - The Bladerunner Theme
10. Caught Somewhere In Time
11. The Evil That Men Do
12. Stranger In A Strange Land
13. Moonchild
14. The Clairvoyant
15. Iron Maiden
16. Wasted Years

I think that it's possible to have setlist like this. I think that SOM, Moonchild and The Clairvoyant are under question here, and there's no RTTH...but it's down-to-earth possible setlist that would suit me very very well.

SOM and Moonchild would be the "suprise tracks" that haven't been played for 20 years.

Nice set but I'm pretty sure Heaven Can Wait will be played instead of Sea of Madness. Also I can't imagine that they won't do any material from Piece of Mind (I recently backed that up in another topic). The real surprise you're talking about might be either
A: a song never played before, either
B: a song which was done ages ago.

A: I dare not to speculate on this one. It would be a unique novity in Maiden's history to go back in time and play a song for the first time.

B: Most logical choice would be Infinite Dreams. It might be better to do this one with three guitars, instead of the fast Moonchild.

Just a small correction, Zare, Powerslave HAS been played on the Ed Huntour.

Just a small correction, Zare, Powerslave HAS been played on the Ed Huntour.

Stupid me. I was in a haste when replying. It has been released as a b-side, and that performance from the EdHuntour is brilliant, i have couple of videos from various bootlegs.

That white-black Premier drum kit of Nicko's sounds like a real drum from hell, and the drum track off the Powerslave '99 is something i could listen alone, without any guitars, bass or vocals from that song.

It's possibly my favourite drum performance ever, the beat, the fillins and the sound.

Nice set but I'm pretty sure Heaven Can Wait will be played instead of Sea of Madness.

Shit, first i'm saying that we have HCW confirmed, then i forget to put it in the setlist  :p Like i said, hasted reply...

You know, Sea Of Madness is among my top3 Maiden tracks, i'm really looking for any possible excuse to pump it up in the setlist.

But yeah, we're probably getting maximum 4 tracks from SIT, that means SOM is out.

They are going to play CSIT probably (i hope), HCW and Wasted Years for sure. I think it's up to Adrian to choose between SOM and SIASL, both of his songs. We'll see, but chances are slim to get them both in a setlist.

Mind you, SIASL was played on EdHuntour because it was a single, and when Adrian took short break from the tour (personal issues), they decided not to play it anymore. The reason was - Janick didn't have time to learn the solo.

Personally, i think it's better to keep Janick off from that solo.

Also I can't imagine that they won't do any material from Piece of Mind (I recently backed that up in another topic)

Why would they? They covered both TNOTB and POM on the first history tour. Besides, they only mention TNOTB on this tour because it contains two essential show songs, that were featured on every single concert from 1982 till this day.

This was planned as a Powerslave, Somewhere In Time, and Seventh Son material-tour.

A: I dare not to speculate on this one. It would be a unique novity in Maiden's history to go back in time and play a song for the first time.

Yeah, we agree on this one. They won't play anything they didn't play before. And, every tour like this is a chance to get new young fans, and those only heard mainstream stuff from that like Aces High, RTTH...

And i also think that Maiden, at the end of their carreer, will embark on a massive final farewell tour. Let's hope that ain't anytime soon (i still want to get the 3rd history tour for '90s stuff), but when it comes, it'll be a real chance to deliver unplayed songs to their hardcore fans.

In essence, i would want the farewell tour based in majority of unplayed songs.

B: Most logical choice would be Infinite Dreams. It might be better to do this one with three guitars, instead of the fast Moonchild.

Hmm...not so sure. Both of them could benefit the three guitar arrangement. The live version of Infinite Dreams with two guitars isn't more shallow than the (possibly) overdubbed studio version. The intro is not a harmony with two guitars...Adrian plays it with pitch/doubler pedal, so it sounds like two guitars.

On the other hand, there's a complete part missing in Moonchild's live performance. The guitar line with squeals and whammy bar usage between Adrian's and Dave's solo, also played by H on the studio track.

I could use this topic to raise another issue...Janick's role on the following tour. I never charished him so much as i did with H and Dave, but i don't like when somebody's bashing on him. However, i think that he should be in second plan here. Simply because he has this tendency to butcher H's solos, and songs lose some of their charm that way. In most cases, i am looking forward to hear H and Dave soloing in a song.

I haven't had a chance to look at the Rock Am Ring and Ullevi shows fully yet, but what i saw, is that Janick took solo from Phantom Of The Opera, Revelations and Heaven Can Wait.

Besides, if we get the third history tour, don't expect much soloing from Adrian.

Zare said:
Stupid me. I was in a haste when replying. It has been released as a b-side, and that performance from the EdHuntour is brilliant, i have couple of videos from various bootlegs.

That white-black Premier drum kit of Nicko's sounds like a real drum from hell, and the drum track off the Powerslave '99 is something i could listen alone, without any guitars, bass or vocals from that song.

It's possibly my favourite drum performance ever, the beat, the fillins and the sound.

Shit, first i'm saying that we have HCW confirmed, then i forget to put it in the setlist  :p Like i said, hasted reply...

No prob!

Zare said:
You know, Sea Of Madness is among my top3 Maiden tracks, i'm really looking for any possible excuse to pump it up in the setlist.

I'd love to hear it as well. Out of all SIT songs this is the one which grew from one of the least likeble tracks to one of my very favourite tracks.

Zare said:
Mind you, SIASL was played on EdHuntour because it was a single, and when Adrian took short break from the tour (personal issues), they decided not to play it anymore. The reason was - Janick didn't have time to learn the solo.

Personally, i think it's better to keep Janick off from that solo.

Yes, Adrian's father died, that's why he had to miss a few concerts. It's not Janick's fault that the song didn't return when Adrian came back. I think that the midpiece might have been an emotional part and therefore SIASL didn't return, but who knows.

Zare said:
Why would they? They covered both TNOTB and POM on the first history tour. Besides, they only mention TNOTB on this tour because it contains two essential show songs, that were featured on every single concert from 1982 till this day.

Only Hallowed Be Thy name has been played at every single concert. I rather have Hallowed + 1 or 2 POM songs and further no NOTB songs by which we have been overkilled for ages.

Zare said:
I could use this topic to raise another issue...Janick's role on the following tour. I never charished him so much as i did with H and Dave, but i don't like when somebody's bashing on him. However, i think that he should be in second plan here. Simply because he has this tendency to butcher H's solos, and songs lose some of their charm that way. In most cases, i am looking forward to hear H and Dave soloing in a song.

I haven't had a chance to look at the Rock Am Ring and Ullevi shows fully yet, but what i saw, is that Janick took solo from Phantom Of The Opera, Revelations and Heaven Can Wait.

Besides, if we get the third history tour, don't expect much soloing from Adrian.

I don't think Janick took over that many solos of Adrian, since Adrian is back. For 2008, I'd say: count on Hallowed and Heaven Can Wait, and perhaps Revelations. But who knows, perhaps the boys want to give some share to Janick.

By the way, do you know:

-That when Dave had a broken finger in 1999, three gigs were cancelled (I remember that Baeleron was very disappointed because he had a ticket for San Diego).
-That when Janick fell of stage in Mannheim in 2000, three gigs were cancelled.
-That when Adrian couldn't play three gigs in 1999, because of his dads funeral, the gigs went on.

By the way, do you know:

-That when Dave had a broken finger in 1999, three gigs were cancelled (I remember that Baeleron was very disappointed because he had a ticket for San Diego).
-That when Adrian couldn't play three gigs in 1999, because of his dads funeral, the gigs went on.

Yeah, this is very strange... I looked at the Maidenfans tour list - Adrian's father died around the 5th gig on the Ed Huntour, maybe they figured since Janick knew almost all of his solos, that they shouldn't cancel gigs so early in the tour. Then, when Dave broke his finger a month later, maybe they thought they couldn't do the shows without him since he does play most solos.

And as for the solos on the upcoming tour, I agree - Janick should take a back seat and not get the chance to butcher Adrian's solos. Maybe keep Heaven Can Wait and (unfortunately) Hallowed Be Thy Name, and the doubled solo on The Evil That Men Do (if they play that one), and that's it.

Forostar said:
By the way, do you know:

What are you trying to suggest here Forostar? lol  :lol:
Its likely because Dave and Janick remember most of the guitar parts because theyve been with the band longer than Adrian who had just got back in.

gulranek said:
Yeah, this is very strange... I looked at the Maidenfans tour list - Adrian's father died around the 5th gig on the Ed Huntour, maybe they figured since Janick knew almost all of his solos, that they shouldn't cancel gigs so early in the tour. Then, when Dave broke his finger a month later, maybe they thought they couldn't do the shows without him since he does play most solos.

Maiden never wanted to cancel gigs unless they really had no other choice. I think it rather has to do with the songs, the guitarparts within the songs, and the roles and the capabilities of the players.

Dave is very essential. Neither H neither Janick ever learnt his parts. Still I remember that Baeleron and many others could not understand it in those days. "They have three guitarists for Gods sake!" I also was surprised.

Janick is very essential for all the nineties material and of course all albums after that. He fell off the stage in the Brave New World tour, which features quite some BNW-material which he only knew how to play. From the three amigoes, this was really Janick's album, when you look at the songwriting. If you look well at the Rock in Rio DVD, you'll see that H took the back seat in that tour.

The Ed Hunter Tour featured many classic songs, plus 3 nineties songs, and Janick knew all the parts. I suddenly realize that the Maiden guys might have thought that it was not so appropriate to play one of Adrian's songs without him and his big role in it, which sounds more logical than: "Let's not do it because of the solo".

In other words, I think it depends on the setlist. If Janick fell off the stage in 1999, the shows also might have continued, like nothing happened. H would have squeezed out some solos in Man on the Edge and Fear of the Dark, or they might have changed the setlist.

So it's not just the solos. It's the other guitar parts which are probably more important. The strength of three guitarists is the variation in the parts the amigoes play. But this same variation is also the weakness when something happens to one of the guys.

@Ardius: Continuing without Adrian has nothing to with Dave and Janick remembering any parts. They knew the parts. Only Adrian did not know Janicks parts in 2000 (you could also say that the BNW songs needed three guitar players), and no one knew Dave's parts in 1999.

I'd love to hear it as well. Out of all SIT songs this is the one which grew from one of the least likeble tracks to one of my very favourite tracks.

Heh, same thing here...i remember when i first listened to Somewhere In Time like 10 years ago, i didn't like Sea Of Madness at all, the intro riff and the drumming felt too strange. But it grew on me so much, that it's one of my top3 Maiden songs for the last couple of years.

Yes, Adrian's father died, that's why he had to miss a few concerts. It's not Janick's fault that the song didn't return when Adrian came back. I think that the midpiece might have been an emotional part and therefore SIASL didn't return, but who knows.

Nah, i'm not saying that's Jan's fault because SIASL got ditched out of the setlist. I'm just saying that it's better that way - i do not want to hear Janick play that solo.

Only Hallowed Be Thy name has been played at every single concert. I rather have Hallowed + 1 or 2 POM songs and further no NOTB songs by which we have been overkilled for ages.

Are you sure? I am lazy to check all the bootlegs on IMC, but Run To The Hills is featured on every damn setlist i saw in my life (that is, setlist from 1982-on).

I'd like Still Life, please  :D

I don't think Janick took over that many solos of Adrian, since Adrian is back. For 2008, I'd say: count on Hallowed and Heaven Can Wait, and perhaps Revelations. But who knows, perhaps the boys want to give some share to Janick.

Well, he took a significant share of "former" Adrian solos. Whoops...he didn't take it (sounds here like Jan's stealer of some sort), Adrian says they agreed who's playing what.

I'd hate Janick tampering with anything from Somewhere In Time...i'd rather have him play Aces High, Hallowed...

Besides, like i said, if they embark on the 3rd history tour, i think that H is going to have the back seat. It is somewhat fair, he wasn't there originally. But neither was Janick in the '80s.

By the way, do you know:

Well, that's logical. They can't play without Dave, period. Janick was essential for Brave New World stuff, a lot of songwriting contributions, a lot of smaller lines, riffs and solos.

Adrian was not essential in 1999. He played a couple of shows before his short leave from the tour, and before that he was absent for 9 years. It's logical that the band can pull the show without him.

And as for the solos on the upcoming tour, I agree - Janick should take a back seat and not get the chance to butcher Adrian's solos. Maybe keep Heaven Can Wait and (unfortunately) Hallowed Be Thy Name, and the doubled solo on The Evil That Men Do (if they play that one), and that's it.

The Evil That Men Do sounds really shitty with the double solo. Reffering to RIR version...it's way, way too loud and exponed. That's a somewhat slower-paced emotional solo, and when you double it, it becomes too loud and loses it's touch.

Besides, a combination of note-perfect Adrian and sloppy-experimentalist Janick playing the same solo is not what you would call a dream team.

By the way, the Wasted Years '99 b-side from EdHuntour, Milano.

Seems to me that Janick has played the intro riff. Adrian played the solo. Anyone that has video bootleg of Wasted Years from edhuntour (from the show where were three guitars), to confirm this?

Zare said:
I think that it's possible to have setlist like this. I think that SOM, Moonchild and The Clairvoyant are under question here, and there's no RTTH...but it's down-to-earth possible setlist that would suit me very very well.

I fully expect "The Clairvoyant".  It has been played recently (Give me Ed... Tour) and it would certainly not be a surprize track.

Back