Bruce Dickinson

''Armchair Hero'' is one of the many great bonus songs of Bruce. It is a bonus song to the Skunkworks album and if it was added to it, it would have been the best song in the album imo. Should have been added.

Maybe it was not added because Bruce played the original version of the song called ''Share It Or Lose It'' (good version too, but not a better one) during the Balls to Picasso tour.

Bruce has many great B´sides like Return Of The King, The Breeding House and Armchair Hero fits into this category too. Skunkworks is very underrated, maybe not on this forum but in general it´s maligned for reasons we can only imagine.
Never knew the existence of this previous version of AH, thanks for sharing @Kalata !

Bruce has many great B´sides like Return Of The King, The Breeding House and Armchair Hero fits into this category too.
And to add more: ''The Ghost Of Cain'', ''Eternal'', ''Real World'', ''Winds Of Change'' (the electric version, co-written by Janick), ''Fire Child'' is not bad and ''Cadillac Gas Mask'' is a fun rock song ... not to mention ''Broken'' and especially ''Silver Wings'' from his best of album.

''Return Of The King'' and ''The Breeding House'' are two of his best solo songs.
Never knew the existence of this previous version of AH, thanks for sharing @Kalata !
:ok:

Bruce fked up this time. I'm not on his side on this one.
Blabbermouth article
Yup. He expected the UK government and the EU to both independently put his own industry's interests first? No matter if you're liberal, conservative, or somewhere in the middle, that's just plain naive thinking. Would've been a good opportunity for him to admit that the whole thing was a mistake...

It seems to me like this is a classic case of pulling back the curtain more resulting in a less favorable image of a celebrity. I agree with Judas, Bruce’s intellect may have been a ruse. The Maiden camp has always been fairly quiet and mysterious, but in the last decade or so Bruce has been more in the public spotlight and has started to create an image for himself that is quite different from what a lot of folks had projected on him.

For me, the first eyebrow raising moment was the book. I had always seen Bruce as a skilled writer and wordsmith, I was fairly surprised when his autobiography turned out to be one of the most poorly written rock bios I had read. They even made the first draft nature of the book a major selling point.

You could say that maybe he’s losing his marbles a bit, but then again Bruce has written terrible books before.

I think the Maiden PR machine are to blame to a certain extent. He is certainly an intelligent and interesting eccentric figure, but that has been exploited over the years for promotional purposes. 40 years ago he was kind of the learned odd one out in rock and roll; nowadays that is no longer the case.

Well, he is quite intelligent. The fact that he may be wrong about brexit doesnt mean anything. He has every right to own opinion. I think that we, fans, changed more than he has. 20 years ago difference between majority of us and Bruce was quite big but we grow older and now we see things as they are - Bruce is talented, well read rock star. But his world view may be different' from world view of talented, well read fan.

What's the thing he can't talk about at the beginning of the video? He says something about "pollinating ideas" and then something about what's behind him. Is it about his spoken word shows or something else?

Edit : nevermind, I'm up to date now.

Last edited:
''Armchair Hero'' is one of the many great bonus songs of Bruce. It is a bonus song to the Skunkworks album and if it was added to it, it would have been the best song in the album imo. Should have been added.

Maybe it was not added because Bruce played the original version of the song called ''Share It Or Lose It'' (good version too, but not a better one) during the Balls to Picasso tour.
Too much on the harsher type vocals and not enough good singing melodic type which makes it quite a weak song for me.

Too much on the harsher type vocals and not enough good singing melodic type which makes it quite a weak song for me.
I like the song, but it would be nowhere near the best one on the album for me. “Strange Death In Paradise” is sublime, “Solar Confinement”, “Inside The Machine”, and “Innerspace” are killer, and “Faith” and “Meltdown” are really strong too. “Armchair Hero” might hold its own against the rest of the album, but not those 6 songs.

Come on, everyone knows that Back From the Edge and Inertia are miles above all the other songs on Skunkworks.
Nope. The second half of “Back From The Edge” is great, but the first half is meh. “Inertia” has a strong verse but a weak chorus.

Back