Bruce Dickinson

Pedigree is irrelevant if the results stink. The production on The X Factor, Virtual XI, Dance Of Death, and The Final Frontier is inexcusable for an A-list band. AMOLAD and The Book Of Souls are passable. Brave New World is the only album from the post-Birch era that actually sounds consistently good, and even that one has some issues with the vocal harmonies.

I don’t understand the point of fanboyism on this. The “whining” may amuse you, but the results on the albums are obvious disappointments unless you like a sloppy, muddy, raw sound.
I don’t think it’s fanboyism to think “I like the way this sounds.” It’s ok to have different opinions. I think V XI is the worst produced album of their career and everything after sounds great.

I don’t think it’s fanboyism to think “I like the way this sounds.” It’s ok to have different opinions. I think V XI is the worst produced album of their career and everything after sounds great.
The fanboyism comment wasn’t directed at you — it was directed at the smarmy comment about how silly and funny it supposedly was that anyone would question Harris and Shirley’s production choices. As everyone can see from the responses, my supposedly extreme and snotty point of view is actually more moderate than several others’.

And like I’d said before, if you like a muddy, dirty, flawed pseudo-live sound because you think it conveys authenticity, then yeah, you’d probably like their production choices.

Well, since the Shirley era I always prefer live versions to the album ones.
So do I. For instance, on En Vivo when The Final Frontier kicks in, it sounds phenomenal. Great sound, but on the studio album it's a mess. And both are produced by Shirley and co-produced by Harris! What the hell? How is that even possible? I wonder where the problem lies.

I found En Vivo far too middy for my taste. Hope the vinyl remaster has been tweaked. It's on my to buy list anyway so will find out at some point. Bruce sounds very good on it too. Far better than on TFF.

Pedigree is irrelevant if the results stink. The production on The X Factor, Virtual XI, Dance Of Death, and The Final Frontier is inexcusable for an A-list band. AMOLAD and The Book Of Souls are passable. Brave New World is the only album from the post-Birch era that actually sounds consistently good, and even that one has some issues with the vocal harmonies.

I don’t understand the point of fanboyism on this. The “whining” may amuse you, but the results on the albums are obvious disappointments unless you like a sloppy, muddy, raw sound.
I might be alone here, but I really like the production on AMOLAD (top 5 Maiden album if you ask me) and also like the production on TBOS and BNW. A massive improvement on any Maiden productions from the 90s (and that includes the last productions by the genius Martin Birch).

That being said, let’s keep Steve playing bass and away from the co-producer chair.

I might be alone here, but I really like the production on AMOLAD (top 5 Maiden album if you ask me) and also like the production on TBOS and BNW. A massive improvement on any Maiden productions from the 90s (and that includes the last productions by the genius Martin Birch).

That being said, let’s keep Steve playing bass and away from the co-producer chair.

I think the production on AMOLAD and BNW is great. On TBOS is good and on DOD and TFF is not that bad - actually, I like that every album from the reunion (and before that) has its own unique sound, maybe some are not perfect but this unique sound is impossible with the production of Andy Sneap (for example) imo.

BNW/AMOLAD - two albums that have very good production. Only Maiden records I would ever put to demonstrate how good they sound in studio since Birch left. Rest fall in the category between garbage and OK. Maybe "good" can be applied to some remasters.

Reactions: Yax
It is his usual pep talk, but this time he mentioned his hip replacement and it is always nice to see him.

Is that a bald spot I see 1 minute and 56 seconds into the talk?? :eek:
Yep, was suprising to hear his hip being replaced but of course has has moved actively on stage and activities for many years.
Not bald spot necessarily as the lights usually shine to that part of hair and head.

It is. Ah well, some people get bald(er) before they're thirty. His long hair sure is extra practical. ;)
Might be thinner (perhaps), but I know how some hairy people look under bright light being shown to their head..it looks like bald but might not be it. It's very common thing and sometimes I get laugh and chuckles as some people investigate all the pics and videos of people..they are human like we all.

Back