Bruce Dickinson

Apparently Bruce is a fencing commentator now.
I once found a fencing forum where someone suggested Bruce should be called upon to commentate on the Olympic fencing, since he was already employed by the BBC at the time. Pretty soon afterwards the thread filled up with people who had fenced against Bruce - their comments made for some quite interesting reading.

Please tell us more or post the link. Thanks. ;)
It was called fencingforum.com and it has apparently since closed, so my link won't work (it may have been archived somewhere but so far I have been unable to find it).

My memory of the comments is as follows:
  • Someone recalled fencing against him for an extended period (I forget how long exactly) because "everyone else was too starstruck to get on the strip with him" - this guy won most of the time at foil, while Bruce won most of the time at epee.
  • Bruce is very fast and accurate.
  • Someone advises that "if you ever fence against him, his favourite formula is *some gibberish that only another fencer would understand*"
  • Various people recall him wandering around afterwards, signing autographs and chatting to all and sundry.
  • One person cast doubt on Nicko's claim that Bruce was invited to join the Olympic team ("probably for a drink or something. It's called eulogising")
  • Someone claimed that they often get invited backstage at Maiden concerts if they turn up wearing a Duallist shirt - this was followed by various people expressing their intention of acquiring such a garment as a matter of urgency (so if the original poster was Bruce or someone representing him - result!)
  • But what they all remember most was what a nice bloke he was.

It was called fencingforum.com and it has apparently since closed, so my link won't work (it may have been archived somewhere but so far I have been unable to find it).

My memory of the comments is as follows:
  • Someone recalled fencing against him for an extended period (I forget how long exactly) because "everyone else was too starstruck to get on the strip with him" - this guy won most of the time at foil, while Bruce won most of the time at epee.
  • Bruce is very fast and accurate.
  • Someone advises that "if you ever fence against him, his favourite formula is *some gibberish that only another fencer would understand*"
  • Various people recall him wandering around afterwards, signing autographs and chatting to all and sundry.
  • One person cast doubt on Nicko's claim that Bruce was invited to join the Olympic team ("probably for a drink or something. It's called eulogising")
  • Someone claimed that they often get invited backstage at Maiden concerts if they turn up wearing a Duallist shirt - this was followed by various people expressing their intention of acquiring such a garment as a matter of urgency (so if the original poster was Bruce or someone representing him - result!)
  • But what they all remember most was what a nice bloke he was.

I remember finding a Hartlepool forum where people were talking about seeing Janick and his brother at games fairly regularly, home and away. The conclusion was much the same as the fencers had about Bruce, that he seemed to be a good guy.

I remember finding a Hartlepool forum where people were talking about seeing Janick and his brother at games fairly regularly, home and away. The conclusion was much the same as the fencers had about Bruce, that he seemed to be a good guy.
I hope that Janick focuses more while watching those games than he does while playing guitar...

So playing guitar, battling giant Eddies, skipping around like a demented elf and being tormented by Bruce aren't enough things to be contending with at one go?
There's clearly something missing there. If he can do all that while attending Hartlepool matches, then I'll be satisfied.

Back