Bruce Dickinson

Don’t they call him “Oxymoron” because he’s the furthest thing from a moron in actuality?

Fair enough. Living outside of the UK you do not have the same access to the wealth of data about the guy we have here.
True that.
As an outsider, I don't like him at all, but I really can't pronounce someone a moron without first-hand impressions.

Saw Bruce this evening. Very funny show. He sang Revelations again for those keeping score.

For those looking for tidbits of information: He again said Alexander would be played, simply answering yes to the question and when prompted "when" he said it's a surprise. Read what you will into that, my own thoughts are 95% barefaced lie and 5% maybe on this tour!!!11OMG WTF.

He also said Empire of the Clouds won't be played with Maiden, but he is looking into playing it with the Quebec orchestra as well as some orchestra-friendly Maiden tracks.

Also, he said Robinsons are bringing out a stout, and then made some very controversial and wrong comments that in the past Guinness was nicer in Ireland than elsewhere but today with modern homogenization it's no longer the case. I agree with the gist of his point that beer is becoming standardized to it's detriment, but Guinness is still better in Ireland than elsewhere, as this documentary evidence proves : https://www.instagram.com/shitlondonguinness/

EDIT: oh yeah, very good turnout, probably a nice little earner for Bruce. I have never been in the venue before so can't really judge it, but I know the capacity is 2000 for a gig with standing. However, the standing area is very small as the venue is actually a Boxing arena, so the standing area is only the size of a boxing ring. It looked to me like probably 1,000 people.

Some months ago he didn't like the idea to play with an orchestra when he was asked about it.
I'm start to think that we can't believe any word from his mouth.

Last edited:
Some months ago he doesn't like the idea to play with an orchestra when he was asked about it.
I'm start to think that we can't believe any word from his mouth.

I think he meant him with an orchestra, not Maiden. He explicitly stated Maiden wouldn't play Empire which makes me believe when he talked about Empire and other tracks being played with the Quebec orchestra he meant as a solo venture.

I must add that he said that he discussed it with a guy from the Quebec orchestra, so I don't know whether you can interpret that as meaning he wants to play with the Quebec orchestra or if it means he just was getting info from this guy and if the project arises it won't necessarily be the Quebec orchestra involved.

An oxymoron, you mean?

No, I wrote it in italic for a reason. It's GnR's Chinese Democracy, which was due to be released in the late 90s, got delayed a gazillion times and was ultimately released in 2008. It's the most famous case of an album that definitely was coming out that just wouldn't come out.

I think he meant him with an orchestra, not Maiden. He explicitly stated Maiden wouldn't play Empire which makes me believe when he talked about Empire and other tracks being played with the Quebec orchestra he meant as a solo venture.

I must add that he said that he discussed it with a guy from the Quebec orchestra, so I don't know whether you can interpret that as meaning he wants to play with the Quebec orchestra or if it means he just was getting info from this guy and if the project arises it won't necessarily be the Quebec orchestra involved.

He might have discussed this with the conductor Paul Mann.

Perhaps his superfan girlfriend is pushing him to do all these things, but I will believe it when it happens.

Bruce and Adrian have been the members of the band that always said that they would never play that song live. Bruce always said no to play with an orchestra behind them. Because the tempo and things like that and they want to feel the energy of the songs and people and would be very difficult to stay focused in the tempo of the orchestra all the time. Nicko when he has been asked, he would love to play with an orchestra and Steve thinks that it's possible someday.

I don't know why because he thinks it's a bloody good idea right now. Maybe he is considering another solo project with the conductor and sing that song more maiden and solo songs.

He mentioned the problem for Maiden was his one fingered piano playing, presumably if he's talking about playing with an orchestra he envisages a real piano player playing the piano parts. Not sure why they can't do that with Maiden.

Because Maiden does not do that...they never played live with some major addition to the usual setup. They never even made an one-off event where they did something they weren't prepared to do on tour. The farthest they went were some additional theatrics on Raising Hell. I think the reasoning behind that is the potential dissatisfaction of everyone else if they do something in front of a single audience, once. I mean they could've done ATG in Athens and piss off every single Somewhere in Time fan on the planet that's not close to Greece, for example.

In EOTC case that would come to - create a highly publicized one off event with orchestra. High ticket prices, non standard Maiden set, Maiden players restricted and locked to tempo, the experience limited to .1% of the fanbase.

Nobody in their sane mind would take orchestra on tour. Floyd did that. It just took them a few years and a few platinum album releases to repay the costs of that tour.

I don't want to see EOTC live or see them do it live since the song isn't meant for live. The song will break flow of any set that isn't centered around it. Also they haven't made a single full band run-through of it. That is perfectly audible on the record's piano track. It is a good Maiden studio experimentation moment captured on tape, that's it. Tons of songs in their catalogue deserved to get the live status, that don't need to be tempo-locked, that don't need additional soundscapes, etc...

Back