Bruce Dickinson

Just as I pointed out about Shadow Of The Gods, the other day.

Thanks for sharing the video.

The set-up reminds me of homeschooling and remote lectures during lockdown, with the students attending remotely from home and their families sometimes spotted behind them. They would sometimes talk with the kids in the middle of a lesson or encourage them to participate.

“Don’t forget to mention Sonata, mon cheri”.

Bruce on why Ragnarok was the 1st single:

''We had a variety of choices that we could have gone with for the first track. And I liked 'Ragnarok' because — we could have gone with a song which was sounded a bit more — how can I put it? —a bit more conventional, a bit more classic rock-type stuff. And I didn't want to give people the impression that that was the album, because first impressions are, unfortunately, really important.
So I wanted people to be aware that this album was dark and growly and heavy and also more than that. So, as we go through towards the actual release of the album, I think people are gonna figure out that, 'Wow, there's a lot more going on in this record than just after 'Afterglow Of Ragnarok'.' But you've gotta put something — something's gotta be first. And that was the track that I felt that it was maybe not the catchiest song on the record — probably the second or third, maybe. This is an album that has a lot of depth to it
''.

I agree with him about the depth of the album and the choice of the debut single, but I don't think the album is that heavy or dark (in terms of the music). Only 4 songs more or less. I expected more songs in its style after it (Rain's riff and Roy's tease). Let's hope the next album will deliver this approach.

Listening to TMP again, I think these are the parts that some songs need to have in them to be fully complete:

Afterglow Of Ragnarok - guitar harmony and a much longer solo. It won't be so repetitive.
Resurrection Men - second short verse and proper solo after the middle part. So much potential.
Fingers In The Wounds - a proper solo.
Mistress Of Mercy - a longer solo.
Shadow Of The Gods - another repeat of the chorus (because of the long intro) and a proper solo.
Sonata - maybe a longer guitar melody in the middle.

Hey, not that much. These additions would be perfect. Nothing more.

Listening to TMP again, I think these are the parts that some songs need to have in them to be fully complete:

Afterglow Of Ragnarok - guitar harmony and a much longer solo. It won't be so repetitive.
Resurrection Men - second short verse and proper solo after the middle part. So much potential.
Fingers In The Wounds - a proper solo.
Mistress Of Mercy - a longer solo.
Shadow Of The Gods - another repeat of the chorus (because of the long intro) and a proper solo.
Sonata - maybe a longer guitar melody in the middle.

Hey, not that much. These additions would be perfect. Nothing more.
I’d say for resurrection men, there could be a solo post the mid section in the faster part rather than repeating the same pattern to end it. Instead do a solo and let Bruce end it with the Resurrection Men chorus.

For Shadows, have at least a 30-40 second solo post the World of the dead section but in that speed. The solo could serve as transition to the slower end section too.

I’d say for resurrection men, there could be a solo post the mid section in the faster part rather than repeating the same pattern to end it. Instead do a solo and let Bruce end it with the Resurrection Men chorus.
I like and think the calm part after the middle section is fitting for the song. Something mysterious sounding.
For Shadows, have at least a 30-40 second solo post the World of the dead section but in that speed. The solo could serve as transition to the slower end section too.
Exactly this. I miss Roy's fast and wild solos. It's like in Hell On Earth and Days Of Future Past - no repeat of the chorus/empty middle part. Such arrangements are really surprising coming from Bruce and Steve, I must say.

There are some songs that don't need a solo because of their other parts (Broken, Kill Devil Hill, Born In '58) and such that need (for example, Believil and Resurrection Men). Shadows is epic as it is, but it could have been perfect. Sad. It's really weird because some of them are carried over for many years and one would think that solos had been recorded for them (or at least demo ideas for the solos) since they were written.

To @GhostofCain You could maybe interested in album sales. This guy has researched into the Uk charts and he knows the sales of Bruce Dickinson album and the Judas Priest new album. I think he says that Bruce sold 11K and Judas Priest 18K copies

Thanks! 11801 copies sold for Bruce.

Sad figures. It is a shame that music sales are so low. I believe Iron Maiden sold more than 200000 copies of the Run to the Hills single to get to #7 back in 1982!

Yeah, although all the marketing , videoclips, tv , radio, magazines and social media interviews,

I remember Mick Wall posting something about insignificant sales when Judas Priest were boasting about their chart position with Firepower. It was not a criticism aimed at the band, just him thinking out loud how easy it is for heritage acts these days to get their best ever chart positions on the basis of selling the same release in different formats to their loyal fanbase.

Do you think there is any chance Bruce to play (rotate) some of the bonus/b-side songs live? Like Silver Wings. It would be a really cool surprise.

I hope he will rotate songs from all of his albums.

Do you think there is any chance Bruce to play (rotate) some of the bonus/b-side songs live? Like Silver Wings. It would be a really cool surprise.

I think not, at least not for this year's tour. Silver Wings is probably one of the most realistic ones for that matter, though, but I just don't expect it to happen. Given that he has a very competent keyboard player on the road, I would love a surprise cut like No Way Out... Continued being played, but again, not expecting it to happen, as the set will most likely have bit of a "best of" aspect to it.

Structurally, I believe it'll be along these lines:

*4 songs from The Mandrake Project
*~5-7 songs from the AoB-TCW-ToS albums
* 2-3 songs from Balls to Picasso (Laughing in the Hiding Bush, Tears of the Dragon, maybe one additional track)
*1-2 Skunkworks and/or Tattooed Millionaire tracks, if any

That already makes ~13-14 songs, but yeah, we'll see!

Back