Bruce Dickinson

Interview with Bruce Dickinson, Berliner Morgenpost (14 March 2024)

My Translation:
(I only translated the parts where I believe we didn't have the same information in other interviews already.)

Mr. Dickinson, first a quick word about Iron Maiden. The band is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2025. Can you already say what you are planning to do to celebrate the anniversary appropriately?

Bruce Dickinson:
What I can say is that we have plans (smiles). We will definitely come up with something special, of course an occasion like this needs to be celebrated in a worthy manner. And, between you and me, I already know our plan. But I won't reveal it, of course.
In addition to all the hard metal drama, your album also features the short, acoustic song "Face In The Mirror". Are you very happy when you see your own reflection in the mirror?

Oh, I don't worry about getting old. My mop of hair is gray and it would look totally ridiculous if I suddenly dyed it black. I have to praise the Rolling Stones here. Their hair colors look pretty real, even though, shhh, they're not (laughs). No, I'm quite happy that I'm no longer 25. My wife says she loves me just the way I am.

You've been married to French fitness influencer Leana Dolci since November and live in Paris.

We would have liked to get married earlier, but it's similar to my album - there was always something. Leana wanted to get married in France, and I also think it's just more romantic. But the song is about something else.

What is it about?

Self-awareness of an unpleasant kind. We're good at pointing the finger at people who can't get their lives together or who have problems with alcohol, drugs, whatever. Or who live on the street. I say: That could be me. It could also be you. We're only ever one or two blows of fate away from falling to the bottom.

But you were never particularly interested in drugs, were you?

No. I know the temptation, especially in my job, but I've never really slipped into it. One or two beers are enough for me. I've also seen far too many colleagues die from drugs and drinking. My addiction is an addiction to life, to creativity, to new experiences.

My Translation:
(I only translated the parts where I believe we didn't have the same information in other interviews already.)

Mr. Dickinson, first a quick word about Iron Maiden. The band is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2025. Can you already say what you are planning to do to celebrate the anniversary appropriately?

Bruce Dickinson:
What I can say is that we have plans (smiles). We will definitely come up with something special, of course an occasion like this needs to be celebrated in a worthy manner. And, between you and me, I already know our plan. But I won't reveal it, of course.
In addition to all the hard metal drama, your album also features the short, acoustic song "Face In The Mirror". Are you very happy when you see your own reflection in the mirror?

Oh, I don't worry about getting old. My mop of hair is gray and it would look totally ridiculous if I suddenly dyed it black. I have to praise the Rolling Stones here. Their hair colors look pretty real, even though, shhh, they're not (laughs). No, I'm quite happy that I'm no longer 25. My wife says she loves me just the way I am.

You've been married to French fitness influencer Leana Dolci since November and live in Paris.

We would have liked to get married earlier, but it's similar to my album - there was always something. Leana wanted to get married in France, and I also think it's just more romantic. But the song is about something else.

What is it about?

Self-awareness of an unpleasant kind. We're good at pointing the finger at people who can't get their lives together or who have problems with alcohol, drugs, whatever. Or who live on the street. I say: That could be me. It could also be you. We're only ever one or two blows of fate away from falling to the bottom.

No. I know the temptation, especially in my job, but I've never really slipped into it. One or two beers are enough for me. I've also seen far too many colleagues die from drugs and drinking. My addiction is an addiction to life, to creativity, to new experiences.
Thanks for sharing!

My Translation:

Bruce Dickinson:

What is it about?

Thank you for sharing. :) But, is that all ? Aren't there no other questions asked by the journalist ? :blink:

New album Piece of Mind II would be really special (or they might call it Peace of Mind) All other options are useless, unless they will play whole album Live. Just imagine the sheer greatness of Quest For Fire* LIVE! :rocker:

* Eddie chased by dinosaur on the stage. OMG.
I was certain this was an earnest post from Kalata until I looked more closely…

But I find the interview remarkable: Didn't we still discuss if Maiden will recognise the anniversary and do something special because of it? Now we know.
And, I apolgise, i am sure it is a stupid question but I am not very familiar with social media, don't hav eany accounts etc. What exactly is a fitness influencer? How can I imagine what they do?

Bruce explaining in this video that there will be something special for 'Piece Of Mind' anniversary in addition to the POM comics : a video... Of what ? A new DVD for Dortmund 1983 or something ?
Maybe Bruce had in mind something for Powerslave's anniv? Otherwise, it would be odd in terms of the timeline. A video?? Playing the whole album live, no chance.
I was certain this was an earnest post from Kalata until I looked more closely…
If you really thought I can say/joke these things, then you don't know me at all. Try better next time because it's ridiculous.

But I find the interview remarkable: Didn't we still discuss if Maiden will recognise the anniversary and do something special because of it? Now we know.
And, I apolgise, i am sure it is a stupid question but I am not very familiar with social media, don't hav eany accounts etc. What exactly is a fitness influencer? How can I imagine what they do?
I haven't looked into Leana specifically, but influencers are people on social media who have a specific topic they post about and make that their job (or at least try to monetize it in some way). Her thing seems to be fitness, so that would mean that all her posts are about fitness; pictures, videos, "stories" (short 15 second videos that are deleted after a day) and so on. For whatever reason people like to follow such content creators. They make their money either through ad revenue or through sponsorships/partnerships.

(Fun fact, I've gotten multiple "offers" on my music instagram with sub-30 followers by various weird and shady jewelry accounts, that wanted to send free jewelry to me in exchange for a few pictures or videos wearing them. Feels more like a multi level marketing scam than anything else though lol )

My Translation:

Bruce Dickinson:
So a new album + a special tour with new songs next year or in 2026. :)

Back