Bruce Dickinson

Eternity has failed has begun growing on me but the production on that track is just bad. The solo sounds way too screechy and the overall guitar sounds way too raw.

So I’d say that songs that have good production on the album would be:

Rain on the Graves
Mistress of Mercy
Face in the Mirror
Shadow of the Gods

enjoyed meeting Bruce last night at the HMV signing.

Although I had limited time with Bruce we did exchange a few words and when I mentioned I’m looking forward to hearing some of these new songs on the upcoming tour he straightaway mentioned exactly what tracks will be played.

His exact response to me was “well we’re definitely playing the first 4 tracks along with 3 from AOB and 3 from TCW plus a few other surprises”

Thought a few who will be attending the solo tour might like to know.

Might seem like a silly question cause you’d have mentioned that too but did he say say anything about a new Maiden album?

Almost finally, I hope my fellow Maiden voyagers get a kick out of the record, because we all know retirement sucks

Are some of the Maiden guys ready for retirement?
Well, there was rumours about Dave and also Nicko is very close to the retirement...

I have listened to Mandrake Project about 4 times now. Always needs time to grow of course. I'm enjoying it, but I'd still wager to say that of the last 10 full studio albums Bruce has sung on (4x solo and 6x maiden) covering the last 27 years of his career, Mandrake Project is the least impressive.

For me it will end up being one those curiosities in the catalogue where different approaches and ideas were tried and not all of them worked well or played to strengths (bit like Skuknworks, which I also enjoy).

At this stage I'd be shocked if I have a eureka moment and 'get it' and it vaults up the rankings. The management and magazines did a great job hyping it up but so far I'd only give it 6 out of 10.

Last edited:
I have listened to Mandrake Project about 4 times now. Always needs time to grow of course. I'm enjoying it, but I'd still wager to say that of the last 10 full studio albums Bruce has sung on (4x solo and 6x maiden) covering the last 27 years of his career, Mandrake Project is the least impressive.

For me it will end up being one those curiosities in the catalogue where different approaches and ideas were tried and not all of them worked well or played to strengths (bit like Skuknworks, which I also enjoy).

At this stage I'd be shocked if I have a eureka moment and 'get it' and it vaults up the rankings. The management and magazines did a great job hyping it up but so far I'd only give it 6 out of 10.
Well, that's quite good score. Nothing ground breaking, just normal album.

For me this is great album. I see the problems but also I see the potential. And if this album would push Bruce into pursuing solo career once again, that would be great.

I got told a few things by people I have grown to trust 100%

Why would band members pour out their heart about things like this to someone apart from other band members and management, who would of course keep it to themselves?
I am always very suspicious if people "close to the band" claim to know such things.

I know it is not very important but to talk about something else:
I really dislike Bruce's wedding band. It woud look much better/cooler with his stage costumes/on stage if it was wider, more massive etc.

Almost finally, I hope my fellow Maiden voyagers get a kick out of the record, because we all know retirement sucks

That would be a surprise considering how they always say they love to play live. I doubt for Nicko, Adrian and Steve and Bruce ofc. I also like to think the same for Janick. Dave is always happy so it's hard to say. This comment from Bruce can be seen as like he hopes his new album will inspire Maiden in a way to write new material and tour more/as much as possible. Both he and Nicko expressed a desire for future tours. The band sounded renewed during the current tour. So I don't know what to think.
Eternity Has Failed · Bruce DickinsonThe Mandrake Project℗ 2024 Duellist Holdings Ltd. under exclusive license to BMG Rights Management (UK) LimitedReleased on: 2024-03-01Percussion, Keyboards: Bruce DickinsonMixer, Bass, Sound Engineer, Producer, Guitar: Roy ZKeyboards: MistheriaSound Engineer, Drums: Dave MorenoMixer, Sound Engineer: Brendan DuffeySound Engineer: Michael HarrisSound Engineer: Christian CummingsSound Engineer: Addasi AddasiSound Engineer: Alonso HerreraSound Engineer: Idriss NadiSolo Guitar: Gus GWoodwind: Sergio CuadrosAuthor, Composer: Bruce Dickinson
Gus G, the whole solo? Or a double solo like for Rain. Bruce mentioned it's a solo section by Roy, but I can see being a solo by Gus as well, especially the last part of it. Also, many engineers wow. Even Dave Moreno is listed for that.

I'd say this album feels more like a solo project (no pun intended) than a true Bruce and Roy album. I mean, Roy only played short solos on 4 songs and wrote the riffs for Ragnarok, Many Doors, Shadow, Resurrection Men (for the middle part) and probably Wound's Arabic melody. That's it. Idk if it's because of his problem during the recordings, but I think they don't care much anymore. This is what I feel about everything surrounding the album (minus the comic). Roy even left guitar parts of Bruce on the album. I don't want to sound negative, but it feels Bruce just needed to restart his solo career.

In the album credits - it is listed that Bruce solely wrote 4 songs (Rain, Eternity, Mistress and Mirror).

While Shadow of the Gods is phenomenal and maybe the best since Brave New World.
One of the best for sure.
It was always very clear for me that it's 100% Bruce's fault. TWOTW and DOFP are good examples.
I think his vocals in DOFP sound very good. I agree that Steve is not to blame, we have TWOTW's chorus as an example.
I also noticed the verses are kinda 'different' and a bit weird, but I like them and I think they were intended to be this way. The part "We're ecstasy on respirators / Breathing cosmic incubators" did make it obvious for me that it was all intended.
This.
I now know what Bruce's "nice" voice in "Face in the Mirror" reminds me of:
Not the best aspect of his voice, in my opinion.
I think his voice shines in such songs.
For me this is great album. I see the problems but also I see the potential.
I like the album, a strong collection of some of the catchiest choruses Bruce has written, but the potential will never be fully realized, unfortunately. Everything is done.

I got told a few things by people I have grown to trust 100%
You knew you would be asked, but could you be more specific? It's not just a casual subject here: are you saying Maiden's longest member after Steve is seriously willing to retire soon?

''Roy co-wrote probably two-thirds of the songs with me, the rest of them are all mine. We did two really good records, Accident Of Birth and The Chemical Wedding, which in the back end of the 90s people thought was a very influential record. And then we did Tyranny Of Souls then back in Maiden, so this was like unfinished business. There’s definitely another album here that we could do. Continue the line as it were, because we started to diversify a bit on the journey. Chemical was fantastically heavy, and we wanted to kind of go beyond both of those albums so have more diversity on this record but also make it… when it was heavy, it was really heavy. Things we couldn’t do, for example, in the context of Maiden. Because Maiden’s got its own style, and we’ve got gazillions of songwriters in Maiden, so this is very much stuff where you say… some of this you would never hear on a Maiden record. So that was the basic idea with the album''.

^So Bruce will continue in the same style for the next album. Tbh, I prefer a more metal approach.

Some other bits:

''In particular, the last 3 songs really go to some very moving places. And I couldn’t have done that 20 years ago.''

''We start rehearsals in Perth. I’m really looking forward to it, we all are. We love Australia as a place, as a country, as the people who live there. We’re gonna have a blast.''

Did anyone check out the latest Chris Jericho podcast? On it, Bruce confirms that remixes are in the works for his early albums.

Of all of his material, Balls to Picasso needs the most tlc as it's got such a weak mix. Thankfully, he did say that he plans to make it heavier so that's something to look forward to.

Are we sure that's what he means (given that Bruce has recently become the master of ambiguous statements that spark rumors). I'm just puzzled, because I would make such an appeal to my bandmates personally, but I wouldn't publish it.

0D723347-842A-4ABC-9960-6B552192CEF3.jpeg

Bruce writing his name with great concentration. :D

Back