Bruce Dickinson

too much power ballad sounding stuff.
This distinctive style of the album is not a problem for me. I admit, after 19 years, I like most fans wanted more of the same, but surprisingly the approach and the overall mid-tempo of (the shorter!) songs are done well enough for me, the ideas. Like TCW (not to such extent ofc) and BTP, where the faster songs are not dominant. I like such emotional and moving stuff, but at the same time I really wanted a good amount of fast and pure metal songs, not gonna lie. The lack of solos (and more short melodic interludes) is what bothers me the most.
Bruce ofc could have added fast and classic AOB/TOS-style songs to extend the album, but I guess he wanted to keep its foundational style and because as he said he wants to create emotions and not the same metal style now. But if he continues with this style for the next album, wouldn't that be more of the same?

That being said, the songs on the album that could have appeared on his previous (metal) albums are: Many Doors, Shadow, Mirror, Mistress and Wounds. Eternity too. Half of the album, so the core of the songs is not that different. Just different parts.

Speaking of the style, I noticed that the album is kind of divided into some parts:

I.first 4 songs - heavy hard rock, catchy and single-friendly songs.
II.next 3 songs - traditional metal stuff.
III.last 3 songs - the keys/ballad-y stuff.

About how I said earlier that I don't dislike any songs:
Yep, I like the album but there's some things that I don't necessarily agree fully or I feel that they could have been something else.
I can deal with those as thinking of the framework for this album and this ain't the first time it has happened with Bruce's or Maiden's albums.
The first listen was weird, but then with proper listening it started to open, but I think maybe the last song on the album could have been Shadow Of The Gods..I didn't quite too much like Rain On The Graves when it was released, but now even that works nicely. I just don't big problem with any of the songs and I can listen to the album. I don't seem to worry too much and maybe Im too kind person here or perhaps Im too easy fan.
Some of the more cruel reviews that I've printed or on online media, seem to have person, who might have some sort of prejudice already without them actually hearing single note or song from the album.
While the album could have been something even more, I still think that Bruce hasn't released bad album in his discography so far...

I sincerely think it took way too long time for this album to materialize..so hopefully, if he even does next album, I hope it will be done quicker.

Last edited:
Almost finally, I hope my fellow Maiden voyagers get a kick out of the record, because we all know retirement sucks

Are some of the Maiden guys ready for retirement?

The first part of Resurrection Men is awful. One of the worst vocal performances by Bruce ever.

While Shadow of the Gods is phenomenal and maybe the best since Brave New World.
If you mean the verses of Resurrection men yes I agree however the chorus is powerful and catchy. I have to say that I think he doesn't know how to finish the song and the chorus turns in exaggerated .

Last edited:
In case anyone was curious, the story in the prelude comic that comes with the deluxe CD is just the story you see depicted in the “Afterglow Of Ragnarok” video, and the 6-page preview of the first issue of the series shows the protagonist breaking into a graveyard while it’s raining to find the grave site of William Blake, so pretty much the broad strokes of the “Rain On The Graves” video. And lyrics from both “Afterglow Of Ragnarok” and The Chemical Wedding make their way into the captions.

So does anybody know what the years on the album cover mean? 1941 and 1968?
The lyrics didn't give any clue about that. Is the answer hidden in the comics story?

And also that its not Harris and his style that alone makes Bruce sometimes sound strained.

It was always very clear for me that it's 100% Bruce's fault. Too stubborn to admit that he simply doesn't sound good anymore at high register.

TWOTW and DOFP are good examples. Both are his songs and on both of them he never sounded good live, with one two nights that could be counted as exceptions.

The verses. It's just really, really bad.

Funny how some opinions can be so different.

I also noticed the verses are kinda 'different' and a bit weird, but I like them and I think they were intended to be this way. The part "We're ecstasy on respirators / Breathing cosmic incubators" did make it obvious for me that it was all intended.

I like Gus G's solo in Eternity, other highlights Doors, Resurrection Men, Face, Shadow. A good album after 5 listenings.

Edit: Forgot Fingers in the Wounds, great song!

Eternity Has Failed · Bruce DickinsonThe Mandrake Project℗ 2024 Duellist Holdings Ltd. under exclusive license to BMG Rights Management (UK) LimitedReleased on: 2024-03-01Percussion, Keyboards: Bruce DickinsonMixer, Bass, Sound Engineer, Producer, Guitar: Roy ZKeyboards: MistheriaSound Engineer, Drums: Dave MorenoMixer, Sound Engineer: Brendan DuffeySound Engineer: Michael HarrisSound Engineer: Christian CummingsSound Engineer: Addasi AddasiSound Engineer: Alonso HerreraSound Engineer: Idriss NadiSolo Guitar: Gus GWoodwind: Sergio CuadrosAuthor, Composer: Bruce Dickinson

Eternity Has Failed · Bruce DickinsonThe Mandrake Project℗ 2024 Duellist Holdings Ltd. under exclusive license to BMG Rights Management (UK) LimitedReleased on: 2024-03-01Percussion, Keyboards: Bruce DickinsonMixer, Bass, Sound Engineer, Producer, Guitar: Roy ZKeyboards: MistheriaSound Engineer, Drums: Dave MorenoMixer, Sound Engineer: Brendan DuffeySound Engineer: Michael HarrisSound Engineer: Christian CummingsSound Engineer: Addasi AddasiSound Engineer: Alonso HerreraSound Engineer: Idriss NadiSolo Guitar: Gus GWoodwind: Sergio CuadrosAuthor, Composer: Bruce Dickinson
I had no idea, Thanks for the info!

100%. I would have put Davey, Janick and Nicko in this camp.
Davey? Probably, as much of a loss for heavy metal it would be. Jan? I think he's perfectly happy to keep playing live as long as he possibly can, even if it means being a cabaret act. Nick? Not on your fucking life. He had a stroke and evidently his first thought was how well he'd be able to perform on the upcoming Maiden tour. Following which the rest of the band, Davey included, seemingly collectively decided to play their asses off solely to compensate.

It sure as hell didn't sound like a band full of would-be retirees to me. In fact it sounded like a band of individuals who weren't sure about their commitment realizing it really was what they wanted all along.

Back