Bruce Dickinson

Heavy disagree on that. There are plenty of musicians and composers who are unrelated to metal who are important to people and arguably important to the zeitgeist. Or are we going to ignore essentially the entirety of classical music, for example?

On the other hand, plenty of metal bands that have huge groups of people hating them (whether they deserve it or not is a different question) like Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold or Slipknot.

Also, it's especially ironic to say that about Taylor freaking Swift, who has a fanbase that is notorious for being obsessed and overly loyal. Not only that, her current Eras tour is the highest-grossing concert tour of all time, so saying that no one would notice her disappearing is beyond delusional.

I love metal, but the unnecessary elitism is its worst aspect and I hate how stubborn and narrow minded many metal fans can be. There's a ton of amazing music out there folks, just listen to whatever the hell you enjoy. No need to engage in stupid tribalism ;)

Hear, hear!

Also, I remembered on the topic of leaks: Bruce himself had said back in 2005 that he was fine with bootlegs and recordings as long as people would buy the album afterwards. Leaks are a bit different in that regard, but at the end of the day the distinction is meaningless.

Bruce was happy to promote downloading in 2003 (it gave him an opportunity to have a pop at Metallica). However, when interviewed by Chris Dale in 2005, Bruce was really pissed off with the fact that Tyranny of Souls was being shared online before the release date.

Heavy disagree on that. There are plenty of musicians and composers who are unrelated to metal who are important to people and arguably important to the zeitgeist. Or are we going to ignore essentially the entirety of classical music, for example?
Not that I agree with his statement but to be fair it seems he's only talking about Pop music. I do like all kinds of music but Metal has been the most important in my life for 45+ years. If I could only listen to one type of music for the rest of my life I would have to choose Classic Metal.

Edit: should have said "If I had to listen to one type of music..."

Last edited:
The argument "If YOU download the album, SOMEONE will continue to make pirated versions and then SOMEONE ELSE will download it without buying it, so you are responsible" is the same argument as "if you buy knives, someone else will sell them and then another person stabs someone, so you are complicit" .

I understand the moral doubts surrounding the topic, but does this mean that:
1) You never copy albums to disk to have a copy?
2) You never wrote down anything / printed out an article from the Internet etc. for example - you have never used someone else's recipe (intellectual property!)?
3) If you are a programmer, have you never ever used stackoverflow?

The only difference is the selective approach of the law in different cases. In some countries you can download music IF you do not share it and you have the original - if you bought the CD and download it without sharing it (torrent), everything is legal.

Honestly, there are bigger problems and dramas in the world than the fact that someone who bought one or more editions of the album listened to it a week before the premiere.

Some interesting bits from these interviews (1 and 2):

''I would say the ‘60s, up till the mid-‘70s, was a golden time because there were all these barriers being broken down in music. Nothing was impossible. Everything was possible. Everything was plausible''.

''So those are things that are expressions of my musical personality that are unalloyed by being in Maiden. I'm always on the lookout for some of Z’s musical textures, basically, in terms of sounds and things like that. It's a different way of working. It's more like two kids in a sandbox with me and Roy, and nothing is excluded. Ever. And anything's on the table if we want to have a go at something''.

''Stylistically, Maiden are, I think it's fair to say, unique. Nobody sounds like us. Even people who copy us, they still don't sound like us. And that's because we're not perfect. When people copy things, they try to make them perfect. But if the thing you're copying is imperfect to begin with, you can't copy it. I don't know how this happens, but the six of us now together it sounds like Maiden and nobody else sounds like us. It's instant. You can hear it. Also, because we are authentic''.

''The large parts of it are surprisingly intact, especially at the top end. I've always been quite a loud singer. I sing with my entire body pushing out that sound. I think that's one reason why my voice has lasted. I've got more bottom end now. There's a bit more growl to the voice, which I really like. When I was 18, 19 years old, I could squeak like a banshee but I couldn't do more looser, bluesy stuff because you need a kind of weight to your voice to do that. I had all the top-end stuff I could do. But now I'm in kind of a happy medium where I can do a lot more of that low-end stuff''.

''I was very pleased with Ragnarok. Many Doors To Hell I suppose is the most conventional song on the album in terms of a rock song.''

Mistress Of Mercy - ''I wrote that on acoustic with a big drop D tuning. I wanted a really thrashy, heavy song with a big chorus''.

The argument "If YOU download the album, SOMEONE will continue to make pirated versions and then SOMEONE ELSE will download it without buying it, so you are responsible" is the same argument as "if you buy knives, someone else will sell them and then another person stabs someone, so you are complicit" .

2) You never wrote down anything / printed out an article from the Internet etc. for example - you have never used someone else's recipe (intellectual property!)?

The only difference is the selective approach of the law in different cases. In some countries you can download music IF you do not share it and you have the original - if you bought the CD and download it without sharing it (torrent), everything is legal.

Honestly, there are bigger problems and dramas in the world than the fact that someone who bought one or more editions of the album listened to it a week before the premiere.

I agree for the most part with this post. I'm not on any moral high ground, I copied albums onto cassette tape back when I was a kid (some of my fondest days), when burning cd's came in I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, probably about half and half of my non-Maiden collection are originals and burned CDs.

But there's a generation out there now who have never bought an album in their life or even listened to a Lossless recording. It's basically contributing to music having less value. I like Ghost, I think they're the best band this millennium, they have 5 albums out. Maiden had 9 out at the same stage of their career, I think the fact that people have already listened to the leak and have moved onto the next thing before an album is even released is a huge contributing factor to bands releasing less albums, touring greatest hits tours and doing nothing new. Albums used to be a big deal and have an active life of a year from the first single to the album coming out and the tour, the second and subsequent singles etc. Now it's a netflix binge watch approach and move onto the next thing

I'm a real journalist, with 19 years of experience, from 2005 to now, via three successive and different employers. If I count all the reviews I've made by having legal copies of CD or EPK, I'm at about 800 reviews and legal albums. That’s an average of 42 columns per year. I've got a legal EPK of 'The Mandrake Project' and I won't let anyone say or written that I downloaded the album illegally, because I have proof that I obtained it legally via my contact from the French society for the promotion of artists and BMG. And yeah, I'm really a journalist, sorry to disappoint you about that, no need to put this word in quotes when talking about me. ;)

Otherwise, I agree with you. It's better to wait and buy directly the copy from the retailer, because you keep the magic of the moment when you remove the blister, open the case, look at the cover + the booklet and put the CD in the player. That's the best moment, when you are finally free from an endless wait after all these months. :)
I wasn’t particularly singling you out to be honest my ‘journalist’ mention was aimed at everyone generally.

I’m not talking about you specifically here but I see a lot of people call themselves a journalist on web forums when in truth they just post reviews of albums on either a blog they’ve set up themselves or they just post reviews on websites like metal archives or Sputnik. That’s the same as me calling myself an SAS sniper because I have a 4.0 K/D ration on call of duty on my Xbox :)

A proper journalist in my eyes is someone that works and it is a paid job by a legitimate magazine/website/tv show and does interviews with band members and people in the music biz. Anything else is just a hobby.

Nice strawman you got there, need any more hay? I've preordered the album and it'll hopefully arrive by friday.

If anything, the last 5 years have shown us that tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us. Life is incredibly fragile and I'd rather listen to the leak and then buy the album when it actually releases, because who knows if I'll be even there next week.

You are free to do whatever you want and whatever you like, but maybe come down from your high horse because that's a ludicrous take.
If you’re worried about your order not turning up then use Spotify or Apple Music or any number of legitimate streaming services to listen to the album. There’s no defence using a pirated leak.

You have stolen the album. Who cares if you’ve ordered a normal copy or not you’ve still feed the pirates and made it easier for others who won’t buy the album to listen to it free.

There’s no excuse to listen to a pirated leak other than your too impatient and actually a bit selfish.

First off that first paragraph is a ridiculous comparison so I’m not even going to comment on that.

Let’s address paragraph 2:

1) I have in the past copied albums yes, but only for personal use. I remember back in the day ripping my purchased CDs to my old original IPod. I also remember making back up copies of CDs to use in the car. Nothing I did was ever to distribute it or pass it on to anyone else and I always owned an original copy.

These days I have no need to do any of the above as I subscribe to Apple Music. Still by physical stuff (albeit I’m a bit more selective these days) but the main reason I have Apple Music is so my collection can be on go with me. If I’m in a train to work or in a car or on holiday I don’t have to cart all my CDs and vinyl with me. Plus if I pre order a new album I can listen to it from midnight on release day without panicking if my album will turn up in the post.

I’ll be listening to the mandrake project tomorrow on Apple Music then I’ll listen to it on the train into London on my way to HMV to pick up my vinyl and CD pre orders and getting one of them signed by Bruce. No need to listen to a leak unless I’m being impatient and happy to steal.

2) so using a recipe that is in a book I’ve purchased or on a website that has published it for the intention of it being used is stealing someone else’s property? :rolleyes::facepalm: I don’t think so.

I wouldn’t print or download a recipe as I’d just have my iPad out in the website whilst using it.

3) not a programmer and have no idea what stack flow is.

On sonata we have a first verse that was recorded 25 years ago and second verse added recently. Listened to the song today and you can clearly hear more mature voice on the second verse. Pretty cool.Dont know if this was done before by any band I know.

On sonata we have a first verse that was recorded 25 years ago and second verse added recently. Listened to the song today and you can clearly hear more mature voice on the second verse. Pretty cool.Dont know if this was done before by any band I know.

Not sure of that. I have the feeling that some spoken parts have been added and the guitar solo at the end, and maybe some arrangements. But the rest seems coming from the original recording.
If you're right, at their place, i would have re recorded some other parts.

Some interesting bits from these interviews (1 and 2):

''I would say the ‘60s, up till the mid-‘70s, was a golden time because there were all these barriers being broken down in music. Nothing was impossible. Everything was possible. Everything was plausible''.

''So those are things that are expressions of my musical personality that are unalloyed by being in Maiden. I'm always on the lookout for some of Z’s musical textures, basically, in terms of sounds and things like that. It's a different way of working. It's more like two kids in a sandbox with me and Roy, and nothing is excluded. Ever. And anything's on the table if we want to have a go at something''.

''Stylistically, Maiden are, I think it's fair to say, unique. Nobody sounds like us. Even people who copy us, they still don't sound like us. And that's because we're not perfect. When people copy things, they try to make them perfect. But if the thing you're copying is imperfect to begin with, you can't copy it. I don't know how this happens, but the six of us now together it sounds like Maiden and nobody else sounds like us. It's instant. You can hear it. Also, because we are authentic''.

''The large parts of it are surprisingly intact, especially at the top end. I've always been quite a loud singer. I sing with my entire body pushing out that sound. I think that's one reason why my voice has lasted. I've got more bottom end now. There's a bit more growl to the voice, which I really like. When I was 18, 19 years old, I could squeak like a banshee but I couldn't do more looser, bluesy stuff because you need a kind of weight to your voice to do that. I had all the top-end stuff I could do. But now I'm in kind of a happy medium where I can do a lot more of that low-end stuff''.

''I was very pleased with Ragnarok. Many Doors To Hell I suppose is the most conventional song on the album in terms of a rock song.''

Mistress Of Mercy - ''I wrote that on acoustic with a big drop D tuning. I wanted a really thrashy, heavy song with a big chorus''.
This I cannot deny if I want to about Maiden sounding unique. Sometimes they just sound like a rock band & not metal. Their sound is definitely unique. Sometimes find it hard to compare them to other metal bands. They’re just in a league of their own.

Back