Bruce Dickinson

Yeah, they continue TOS approach in that regard.
it also feels that way because Roy didn't bring solos (or melodies, only 3 songs have a ''prominent'' melody) for half of the songs. So disappointing.

This. Although I think the album feels pretty consistent. Let's see:

Ragnarok - written in 2023.
Many Doors - written in 2023.
Rain - from 2014, more or less.
Resurrection Men - from 2014, more or less.
Wounds -
Eternity - written in 2014.
Mistress -
Face In The Mirror - written in 2022.
Shadow - written in 2005.
Sonata - from the 90's.
Face in the Mirror 2022? My guess is 2014

1- Afterglow - Quite good song 7/10
2- Many Doors - Good song 8,5/10
3- Rain on the Graves - B Side for me 4,5/10
4- Resurrection - Quite good 7/10
5- Finger - Ok like a good B Side 6/10
6- Eternity - Good song and good cover but not new 7,5/10
7- Mistress - Bad song 2/10
8- Face in the Mirror - Like "Acoustic Song"- good B Side 6/10
9- Shadow - Good song 8,5/10
10- Sonata - good song and good surprise for me 8,5/10

Overall: 6,5/10, for the moment, slightly better than BTP or TM

Little change for me, after a week-end of listening:)

Finger is more than a good B Side. 8/10
On the other hand, Many doors and Ressurection are slightly worse (or less good) than i thought. 7,5/10 for Doors and 6/10 for Resurrection

Sonata is a really special song. So glad Bruce added it, one of his most impactful songs for me. The atmosphere is so unique and awesome. Bruce, :notworthy:
My only complaint is that he lets some weird vocal lines. We know that it was improvising but he could have done more re recording or corrections

Short new interview with the curious bits:

Bruce said the ending of the album with the last 2 songs is unusual and that he wanted something different from what bands usually do. He was going for the emotional impact with them. Imo he succeeded brilliantly.

A funny story - Bruce invited Nicko to hear the mixing of the album last year and Nicko had never heard of an Atmos mix before. Bruce played him ''Afterglow Of Ragnarok'' and he liked the sound a lot. He said something like it's like being in the middle of a band and he's never heard anything like it. But then Nicko blowed up the volume by turning it up and up. :lol: Bruce said they record with a lower volume. He also thinks that some Maiden albums can sound great with this mix (''although you have to be careful with it''), but the stereo mix is still the chief.

Apparently he's wearing an ''Eddie in disguise'' shirt. A favorite of his. The interviewer asked him to pick 1 song from POM album to be played on the radio and Bruce picked Sun And Steel and said he wrote guitar parts for it.

He also mentioned that he has Mandrake and Maiden tours comping up, but hopes it won't be 20 years before his next solo album. The time and moment will be right.

Bruce said the ending of the album with the last 2 songs is unusual and that he wanted something different from what bands usually do. He was going for the emotional impact with them. Imo he succeeded brilliantly.

A funny story - Bruce invited Nicko to hear the mixing of the album last year and Nicko had never heard of an Atmos mix before. Bruce played him ''Afterglow Of Ragnarok'' and he liked the sound a lot. He said something like it's like being in the middle of a band and he's never heard anything like it. But then Nicko blowed up the volume by turning it up and up. :lol: Bruce said they record with a lower volume. He also thinks that some Maiden albums can sound great with this mix (''although you have to be careful with it''), but the stereo mix is still the chief.

Apparently he's wearing an ''Eddie in disguise'' shirt. A favorite of his. The interviewer asked him to pick 1 song from POM album to be played on the radio and Bruce picked Sun And Steel and said he wrote guitar parts for it.

He also mentioned that he has Mandrake and Maiden tours comping up, but hopes it won't be 20 years before his next solo album. The time and moment will be right.
The highlight of that interview was him waking up at 3:45 am and had the thought of playing with his willy

"The Mandrake Project flies by but still feels like an epic journey": Bruce Dickinson's first solo album in almost 20 years is a resounding triumph​

That's quite what I've wrote in my review. :)

Emotion? Sonata fucking teared me up almost.

Back