Bruce Dickinson

What really interested me ever since but couldn't find anything about: Are there known reactions from Steves side when Bruce released his masterpieces AOB and CW?

Not sure about those but I remember Steve´s Skunkworks reaction from an interview in Dutch metal magazine Aardschok. He liked Space Race but the rest of the album didn´t give something extra, then he said it wasn´t a good album at all.

Bruce on the other hand said in the same magazine a few years later Virtual XI was better than The X Factor.

I seem to remember Steve (and Nicko?) stating in an interview at the time of AOB's release that he was annoyed and wondering why Bruce would release a metal album if he left the band to pursue other musical ventures. Something like that.

Also, VXI is a fantastic album and I won't accept any slander :ninja:

I like VXI, it's a fun album. But maybe Bruce was just being polite.
Well, VXI is closer to the classic sound of Maiden or the 90's albums with Bruce (Lightning Strikes Twice). Basically, all songs without Angel & Gambler and Como Estais Amigos. TXF album only had about 5 songs in that style.

Well, VXI is closer to the classic sound of Maiden or the 90's albums with Bruce (Lightning Strikes Twice). Basically, all songs without Angel & Gambler and Como Estais Amigos. TXF album only had about 5 songs in that style.
VXI is the twin to BNW as far as songwriting goes and no other duo, except the debut and Killers, are as close to each other.
If VXI had BNW's production and line-up, it would be much better regarded nowadays.

VXI is the twin to BNW as far as songwriting goes and no other duo, except the debut and Killers, are as close to each other.
If VXI had BNW's production and line-up, it would be much better regarded nowadays.
No. Because the songs themselves aren't anywhere even close to BNW's other than obvious exceptions like The Clansman, specifically because they're repetitive to the point it borders on parody. The quality gap is massive from an arrangement perspective alone.

The Angel and the Gambler for example is atrocious and far worse than anything on BNW because of how many times they play and sing the exact same few sections, while Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger literally repeats the "don't look to..." phrase like 80 fucking times. That's not on par with BNW by any measure. It's more like somebody took the oft repetitive choruses Maiden has and made a parody song about it.

1993 to 1999 must have been a weird time for Maiden fans. In those six years Bruce left, made two solo albums, reunited with Adrian, made two more albums, came back and brought Adrian with him. Maiden also released two albums.

The last six years has seen one Maiden album and 83 promises from Bruce that his new album will be out next year... Or the year after.

1993 to 1999 must have been a weird time for Maiden fans. In those six years Bruce left, made two solo albums, reunited with Adrian, made two more albums, came back and brought Adrian with him. Maiden also released two albums.

The last six years has seen one Maiden album and 83 promises from Bruce that his new album will be out next year... Or the year after.
From the retrospective point of view it was indeed a very strange and confusing time. Especially because it was completely unclear to see which direction Bruce would want to take. Obviously he himself didn't know it back then. But it was good he did anything at all, because as soon as I heard the first Maiden material with Blaze I was done with Maiden and focused more on Bruce instead than on Maiden. So Bruce in those days gave the 1990s at least a bit of somewhat a direction with his releases. And probably the only reason I can listen to TXF nowadays is based on the knowledge that this era is over for Bruce rejoined the band.

Bruce on the other hand said in the same magazine a few years later Virtual XI was better than The X Factor.
And then in 2008, when he had Blaze as a guest on his radio show, he told him that he thought his Silicon Messiah album was a really good record, and that it was stronger than what that he did with Maiden.

Bruce was not wrong about that!

Last edited:
No. Because the songs themselves aren't anywhere even close to BNW's other than obvious exceptions like The Clansman, specifically because they're repetitive to the point it borders on parody. The quality gap is massive from an arrangement perspective alone.

The Angel and the Gambler for example is atrocious and far worse than anything on BNW because of how many times they play and sing the exact same few sections, while Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger literally repeats the "don't look to..." phrase like 80 fucking times. That's not on par with BNW by any measure. It's more like somebody took the oft repetitive choruses Maiden has and made a parody song about it.
VXI has repetition, but so does BNW. The Mercenary has two choruses that get both repeated a bunch. The Fallen Angel has a ton of repetition. The choruses for The Wicker Man, Brave New World and Blood Brothers are chanting one line over and over. It's fair game to prefer BNW and to think the songs are better, but to pretend that BNW as an album doesn't have a ton of repetition is straight-up wrong.

Just opened yahoo and I saw this:
Untitled.jpg
In the text itself:
Untitled1.jpg
Anybody has a clue what Howard Stern/Axl said about Bruce's singing?

Last edited:
Back