Saw this somewhere, might be the answer to your question:

Here's the life of Paganini
Just like some kind of panini
Evil minds that plot destruction
Sorcerers of ham's construction
In the fields, ciabattas burning
As the warming grill is turning
Electric Barbecue?

Oh yeah, I forgot to say: there was a two-page article about Bruce and his antics in the newspaper this morning. Oddly enough it was specifically in the arts and culture pages of Lapland's major newspaper Lapin kansa, but appropriate nonetheless since he actually answered two Lapland related questions. The article was based on a phone interview from a while back so it wasn't like a review or anything, and I assume it was probably also printed in the local news for the Oulu and North Ostrobothnia region, Kaleva, since both papers are owned by the same company now.

As you'd expect, somebody asked about if they were gonna play Alexander the Great. He pointed out it's been asked before. "Probably" was the answer.
ATG CONFIRMED!!! :clap::nana::yey:

But in all seriousness, this is why I don't think it's all that far-fetched to believe that this song will one day be played on a future tour.

Honestly? I kind of expect it to be played too. Solely because it's such a running joke and an actual "thing" now. A bunch of people hollered at Bruce reading the question and then the whole joint erupted into applause. That said, because this is Maiden, I think it's likely they'll just kind of not make a big deal out of it. I could see it in the set for the next album tour for example, where it would be competing for attention with the new songs.

I think that's the one and only possibility to watch and hear that song live is that they would do a similar thing to Abbey Road in 2006.

Bruce Dickinson wearing a funny doctoral hat and sword "symbolising academic freedom and truth".

EJU9powWsAYADp_.jpg

EJU9porWoAE9S-R.jpg

EJU9porXsAEDikw.jpg

EJU9poxWoAAU8jT.jpg

Oh yeah, he did mention that! He made a vague threat implying he'd be performing in Tampere next year with his doctor's hat on.

I wish I got to hold a sword when I got my doctorate. :(
"Proper" doctors actually have to buy their own hat and I think optionally the sword. I know they have to have the hat, but I think the sword is optional these days. They also need to be dressed, well, just a tiny bit more professionally and formally than Bruce there for the graduation ceremony, which is another added cost.

Holy shit he looks a lot younger in those goofy hat pictures. That smile on his face is that wily look I remember from the photos inside my Iron Maidnen collection of collected collectables. He also has always looked a bit like my dad in the face, especially with that grin. Maybe he is my dad? Also, pretty cool that Bruce confirmed for sure that his next album will be awesome, and that Alexander the Great and To Tame a Land will make it back in the setlist.

(Last sentence is a joke. I wrote it to amuse myself. Now that I've done that, it's time to write this part in parenthesis about it being a joke.)

Oh yeah, he did mention that! He made a vague threat implying he'd be performing in Tampere next year with his doctor's hat on.

"Proper" doctors actually have to buy their own hat and I think optionally the sword. I know they have to have the hat, but I think the sword is optional these days. They also need to be dressed, well, just a tiny bit more professionally and formally than Bruce there for the graduation ceremony, which is another added cost.
I had to wear academic gowns and a floppy hat, but no sword. :(

I had to wear academic gowns and a floppy hat, but no sword. :(
A shame! In Finland the dress code for graduating doctors is white tie, which I must say I think looks a lot better than the academic gowns seen in various other countries. A bit more formal, I'd say.

ATG CONFIRMED!!! :clap::nana::yey:

But in all seriousness, this is why I don't think it's all that far-fetched to believe that this song will one day be played on a future tour.
Well, "played" doesn't necessarily mean as part of a concert. Maybe he meant they'll probably play it for fun during a break while recording an album? Or they'll play it during a tour rehearsal only to dismiss it and go with Wrathchild instead?

Can somebody who is going ask Bruce how much progress he has made on his rock opera on the life of Paganini (evoked in Metal Hammer in 1988)?
When he last mentioned that, from memory I think he was asked if he would like to play the title role and he said no because you'd need and enormous conk, or words to that effect. So maybe he is waiting for his nose to grow so he can play the lead in his own show.

No, we all know that nose-growing depends on telling a lot of porkies (think: Pinnochio). So you can expect a lot more of "my new solo album is due any day now/nearly finished etc etc ..." :lol:
Too convoluted? Okay, possibly ... ::)

-Somebody asked about Steve's vocal lines and he reiterated the point that they're sometimes an absolute fucking pain to sing. He used To Tame a Land as an example, curiously enough. I was surprised to see he still remembered the lyrics to that. Anyway, apparently the real reason the vocal melodies are the way they are is because Steve wants them to follow the bass lines exactly, which means having a bunch of words that could be taken out to make actually singing the lines easier.

It was traumatic enough for him to even repeat the opening lines at a TV panel show back in 1997 (2 minutes into this video):

Yeah, this thread. I've got a lot to say in this thread.

First of all, book tour. I remember thinking about contacting a promoter how they should bring him in my home country in a beautiful venue, like, it would be probably a sell out for them. Guess what, exact same thing happened. But! When that happened, I saw the announcement in the afternoon (there were no prior rumors before) and the tickets were already on the sale from early morning. Yes, first couple of rows/sectors were sold out. Pissed off, I decided not to go. And now I regret it. I should've gone. As far as I've read from the reviews, it was awesome. And I missed it. I do regret it a bit although I'm a bit relieved I managed to restrain my Maiden fanaticism by bit. I'm trying to tone it down for some years now and it looks I've managed to do that, even for the wrong reasons.

Considering his private life.
I mean, it's funny that people here are commenting what could be the reasons of his split with his wife. Let me tell you this. All of you (probably) have married friends about whom you have no idea in what kind of shape their relationships is. If something goes on between them, it goes behind closed doors and if it does surface out at some point, it sometimes takes years and leaves you completely baffled. I've been in that kind situation where I would have heard the news and just left speechless (like a minute before I would've swore everything is OK with certain people only to find out a situation is far from perfect). Also, Bruce wrote a book, I think you've noticed it, he's been touring that thing 2 years now. Except his childhood and teen years, there are no mentions of his personal life. IIRC correctly, there was a recent interview where he said that he thought should he include his family in chapter about cancer, but later decided he won't. That shows how much he wants to keep his private life private. Yes, he first spoke about his girlfriend, but that also would surface out and if it didn't came from him it would probably be dragged across newspapers much worse than now. Where was I going with this? I don't know. Just wanted to say it's kind of disrespectful to talk about his private life like he's your next door neighbor. Bad Maiden fans! *smacks with curled newspaper on the nose.

I believe his solo stuff would come out eventually. At least, when he's in retirement they'll probably just roll out tons and tons of these demo tapes. What I'm more interested at (and it seems that even Bruce himself mentioned it on this book tour) is his solo tour. Now, I'd travel and pay big buck to see this one. But at this stage and age, I doubt it would be festival performances and club shows. He'd probably sell out smaller arenas. Still, I'd go.

Oh, and that Bruce solo beer. I'm still waiting.

Back