Bruce Dickinson video interviews / shows

Thanks Zare! Never seen before. Love how Bruce handles this.

I don't think he is correct on the Belgians kids, though. At least, I think lots of Belgians know about WWI, also kids.

(Sorry but I find this a dumb interviewer, from 16:35, in a sense that he didn't look into the Paschendale lyrics and then come up with that.
And very British sounding. Most sound British, the moderator included, (although I think I also hear two guys with other accents), I wonder if it could have been in the UK (talking about getting rugby balls the day before etc.), although there was a question asked about performing in the Greece islands)

Last edited:

Great, for me unseen interview from Greece 2003 I think.
At 17 minute guy asking question goes PC on Paschendale, "my family died in WW1 you're walking around trench on stage" lmao

Thanks for sharing.

Based on the date of the interview, it could have been filmed in Paris in 2003 (Bruce flew a chartered flight with fans and members of the press and they probably maximised the promotional opportunities that provided by giving interviews).

EDIT: Here’s an official diary about that trip https://www.ironmaiden.com/diary/article/to-paris-with-bruce-air

Last edited:

Great, for me unseen interview from Greece 2003 I think.
At 17 minute guy asking question goes PC on Paschendale, "my family died in WW1 you're walking around trench on stage" lmao
What a stupid question by the journalist. First off, he hadn't even read the lyrics. Secondly, he should know Maiden shows are a spectacle in themselves and they take their work and fans very seriously. They would not purposely disrespect anyone with their songs.

EDIT: Apart from politicians and bureaucrats in some songs, but even then nobody is singled out and it is a collective criticism.

Thanks Zare! Never seen before. Love how Bruce handles this.

I don't think he is correct on the Belgians kids, though. At least, I think lots of Belgians know about WWI, also kids.

(Sorry but I find this a dumb interviewer, from 16:35, in a sense that he didn't look into the Paschendale lyrics and then come up with that.
And very British sounding. Most sound British, the moderator included, (although I think I also hear two guys with other accents), I wonder if it could have been in the UK (talking about getting rugby balls the day before etc.), although there was a question asked about performing in the Greece islands)

It sounds as if there was a combination of native and non-native speakers (Greek, Danish...).

Interview with Bruce from 2000.

I've learned something new! The original cover for the Scream For Me Brazil live album should have been done by Derek Riggs and with Edison from AOB album cover on it, a really brutal one (Bruce talks about this at 4:10-4:55 in the video). I always thought the fish cover was odd.
  • Btw, does someone know why 6 out of the 18 songs were cut out for this release? The songs are: ''Jerusalem'' (included in his Best Of album), ''Taking The Queen'', ''Tattooed Millionaire'' and three Maiden songs (2MTM, FOI and Powerslave).

Another curious thing from the interview is that Bruce's plans for 2001 included the release of a new solo album.

• Btw, does someone know why 6 out of the 18 songs were cut out for this release? The songs are: ''Jerusalem'' (included in his Best Of album), ''Taking The Queen'', ''Tattooed Millionaire'' and three Maiden songs (2MTM, FOI and Powerslave)

If I'm not terribly mistaken, I believe it was mainly about fitting the release into a one CD only. It's great that Jerusalem is available on the Best of release, though!

By the way, I think this is one of the cover art suggestions by Riggs:
brazldik.jpg

Last edited:
If I'm not terribly mistaken, I believe it was mainly about fitting the release into a one CD only. It's great that Jerusalem is available on the Best of release, though!

By the way, I think this is one of the cover art suggestions by Riggs:
brazldik.jpg

That’s correct.

But wait a minute, hang on, that doesn't make sense. The runtime of the CD is about 69 minutes, well under the limit of 79 or so minutes which is what the then-current standard was (increased from the previous 74 minutes). Jerusalem would've easily fit in there since its runtime is 6.44. In fact I've personally made the effort to add it to the digital copy I have since it obviously belongs there from the Best of collection.

It's really bizarre they left it out to begin with since there's no technical reason for it. Even if they wanted to stay under 74 minutes for whatever nonsensical reason, well, there's probably a few minutes of mostly dead air on the album they could cut. Lengthy speeches before songs that go nowhere for one thing.

But wait a minute, hang on, that doesn't make sense. The runtime of the CD is about 69 minutes, well under the limit of 79 or so minutes which is what the then-current standard was (increased from the previous 74 minutes). Jerusalem would've easily fit in there since its runtime is 6.44. In fact I've personally made the effort to add it to the digital copy I have since it obviously belongs there from the Best of collection.

Ah, yes, but they couldn't have included all of the additional songs in it. Although I think the Maiden stuff would've been left out anyway.

That is a fair point anyway! Bruce especially underlines the runtime limit here, but now that you mention it, it's a bit strange indeed...

Ah, yes, but they couldn't have included all of the additional songs in it. Although I think the Maiden stuff would've been left out anyway.

That is a fair point anyway! Bruce especially underlines the runtime limit here, but now that you mention it, it's a bit strange indeed...
Yeah I think the Maiden stuff was a natural exclusion - it's basically just setlist filler. I can also understand Taking the Queen and Tattooed Millionaire's exclusion, I'm sure Bruce would've rather included them but something had to go to keep the length down. But Jerusalem was even mixed since it was included in the collection a few years later.

What happened? Did the record company refuse to go over 74 minutes because they wanted to use a cut-rate printing shop that couldn't do more and they had to cut an extra song or something? I really think it must've been an eleventh hour decision since obviously none of the other cut tracks were mixed or released later.

Interview with Bruce from 2000.

Another curious thing from the interview is that Bruce's plans for 2001 included the release of a new solo album.

Yeah, Bruce was going to team up with Arjen Lucassen to do a solo album after Brave new world. However, Arjen talked about it in an interview before any press releases were going to the press, so Rod cut Arjen off the project. Instead Bruce ended up with two new songs with Roy Z (Roy was very busy during this period, hence why only two songs for the compilation album). The material Arjen wrote ended up on Star one - Space metal

Yeah, Bruce was going to team up with Arjen Lucassen to do a solo album after Brave new world. However, Arjen talked about it in an interview before any press releases were going to the press, so Rod cut Arjen off the project. Instead Bruce ended up with two new songs with Roy Z (Roy was very busy during this period, hence why only two songs for the compilation album). The material Arjen wrote ended up on Star one - Space metal
In Wikipedia, it says that they wrote 4 songs for the Space Metal album - do you know which are those songs?

Back