BRUCE DICKINSON SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> Darkside Of Aquarius wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Do you think anyone really feels the need to point out that "Frankly Seaman Staines, I don't give a damn." Is not among the most profiund line Bruce ever wrote?

And he obviously never watched Captain Pugwash, either. :(

We have done that a "little" longer.
And Im sure there was a first time. And i doubt that this is the first time these lyrics have been slagged off on here (though I havent checked). Either way, if its fresh news or old news, the point stands, the lyrics are, in places, pish.

Well, to be honest, in my interpretation, Balls was always in the shadow of the more "logical" full on metal albums Bruce made. I've hoped that over the years, more appreciation would slowly come to the surface. I hadn't expected "another" negative thing. In my memory it was always the different music (or vocals on e.g. Sacred Cowboys) and I really do not remember that quality of lyrics was ever a negative issue for Bruce albums (not this one).

Either way, if its fresh news or old news, the point stands, the lyrics are, in places, pish.
As on other Bruce albums.

Personally, i wasnt talkin about Balls in general. The 'knickers and g strings' bit of Breeding House was what got me the most. And as far as appreciation for Balls goes, ive been a fan since it came out and can happily and easily forgive some dodgy lyrics or precussion, i love the album, wouldnt skip any tracks (maybe Clowns).

You mention that theres questionable lyrics on other Bruce albums. Indeed. But we were talkin about something specific. No need to mention every other lyric Bruce ever wrote. And youre right, it was selective criticism; I selected a lyric I didnt like from a particular song and criticised it. You yourself are guilty of this Selective Criticism; you Selected a particular Criticism and Criticised it. Quite Selectively.

Last edited:
As I've said earlier in the thread, I really like BTP. Of the first three solo albums, it is by far the best. On some days it even gives ToS a run for its money. That said, it's possibly to appreciate and still be aware of some of the flaws. No Bruce album is perfect (not even CW). Balls in particular is a good example of an album that showed potential to be far better than it ended up being in almost every way. Production, lyrics, vocals. It had all the makings of a masterpiece and was really musically innovative in a way that it doesn't get enough credit for. But it was also half baked.

I don't like Tatooed Millionaire lyrics that much, overall. For the rest, each 'period' had it's own lyric style, social commentary in BTS, personal issues in Skunkworks and pure metal lyrics for the last three. I consider all three to be A grade.

Eliminated after Round 5:
Fire Child - 13 votes
Gypsy Road - 12 votes
No Way Out...Continued - 12 votes

Promoted after Round 5:
Son Of A Gun
Tattooed Millionaire
Born In '58
Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter
Darkness Be My Friend

Skunkworks joins the game.

Back from the Edge have good lyrics don't you think?

This sounds so poetic and and dramatic at the same time.

Now and then I wonder where the faces from my childhood have gone
Like father like son your bones it lives on glowing shadows

And that delivery. The singing is so impressive, also on the following Back from the Edges. Best Bruce song, best parts he ever sang.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that, the lyrics are actually the first thing I noticed on that song - they are quite strong! Evocative, emotive, and powerful, but I just don't like the chorus melodies at all. The verses are cool and the vocal and guitar panning are great, but as a whole the song just doesn't do much for me. That's this album as a whole - some really solid elements but overall it just feels a little bland.

A song called R 101. Forgot about that one. Last time I listened to those songs was for the last Bruce survivor. :D

@MrKnickerbocker I agree about not being over the moon by the two "regular" choruses, but when that ends, we get that awesome bridge, a melodic solo and then the final, different chorus. I am always trying to be a bit patient, but as soon that bridge comes it's aww yeaahhh all the way. Can't get any better than that for me.

I also like the drumming a lot in this one. At first I thought it sounds static, but then I focused more on these accents. Neatly worked out and forceful.

Last edited:
Back from the edge is among Bruce's finest moments, musically and lyrically.

Back