Bruce Dickinson Survivor 2012, Results thread - Joint Winners!

Satisfied with the results?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
I'd like to state that I sense some huge underrating of the heavier songs from Tyranny of Souls. Both the title track and Soul Intruders kick enormous ass. Also mckindog and I are the only ones rating Silver Wings high?

Bunch of softies.

;)

Silver Wings would probably sit at number 11 for me at worst. Maybe even be in the top 10 (it was just a rough list). Omega's another one I didn't like leaving off.

As for Tyranny, I honestly believe that whole album is Bruce's "best" album and my second favorite Bruce album. Every single song is at least a 9/10 in relation to his catalog. It's Bruce's AMOLAD for me. Just the definition of a solid effort.

Born in '58 is probably the oddball on my list. I honestly don't think it's anywhere near the quality of many of his songs, yet I always come back to it. There's something about Bruce's vocal on it. On the other hand, Man of Sorrows seems like a quality enough song to stand up to the rest of my list, yet I can't get past Bruce's vocals on it. I love that his vocals are always dramatic and emotional, but I think he goes overboard on this one. Fantastic solo, though.

I'd like to state that I sense some huge underrating of the heavier songs from Tyranny of Souls. Both the title track and Soul Intruders kick enormous ass. Also mckindog and I are the only ones rating Silver Wings high?
Tyranny disappointed me when it came out, even now it doesn't hold up to Bruce's other material, although I like it a bit more. It's like Chemical Wedding in sound but it's missing the epic feel that makes CW so great. Plus the songs just aren't as good. The first half of Tyranny kicks serious ass though.

Silver Wings is cool too, I wouldn't mind seeing it in the top 10.

My top 10 will probably come from these 23, in no particular order:
Change of Heart, Cyclops, King in Crimson, Book of Thel, Return of the King, Tears of the Dragon, Kill Devil Hill, Back from the Edge, Silver Wings, Dark Side of Aquarius, The Breeding House, Abduction, Omega, No Way Out...To Be Continued, Broken, A Tyranny of Souls, Soul Intruders, Man of Sorrows, Taking the Queen, Innerspace, Sacred Cowboys, Son of a Gun, Starchildren.
Great group. Gave Soul Intruders another listen. It's better than OK.
From what I can see, Bruce goes about 50 songs deep in terms of excellent songs. Every one of those songs is part of that group.

Born in '58 is probably the oddball on my list. I honestly don't think it's anywhere near the quality of many of his songs, yet I always come back to it. There's something about Bruce's vocal on it. On the other hand, Man of Sorrows seems like a quality enough song to stand up to the rest of my list, yet I can't get past Bruce's vocals on it. I love that his vocals are always dramatic and emotional, but I think he goes overboard on this one. Fantastic solo, though.

Agreed. I'd say both those songs are solid candidates for my top 30.
But '58 somehow touches me more than it should.
And Sorrows can be a touch too much, even for someone who loves his music over-the-top as much as I do.

Confession: I don't think Man of Sorrows is that great. I'll be voting for it soon, maybe next round. :fencing:

Inertia
Strange Death In Paradise
Man Of Sorrows
The Magician
Welcome To The Pit
Wicker Man
Acoustic Song

Man of Sorrows is what you may call a bombastic song but not bombastic in the way of an over the top instrumentation like e.g. Blind Guardian does (though the chorus features some choir like synth). No, it's rather so intense because the track has some of the most powerful chord progressions he ever did. Of course we're talking about the chorus. On top of it we hear a very fitting vocal melody. Not difficult, but grabbing! A very heartfelt song. Bruce is very dramatic on it. He sings very high, I guess it was never played live because it's damn hard to do when touring. Adrian's solo is really impressive. The song has an interesting history (hear 'The Voice of Crube' on Bruce's best of album).

The title track from Tyranny of Souls is remarkably epic. Man, that song has some beastly riffs. And what a chorus! Every time preceded by that cool echo of that single guitar chord. Later, the mid part gets very interesting with this complex rhythm, the hacking riffs and intriguing vocal harmonies. A great song for headphones as well!

trinity.jpg

This song was originally meant for a project with Rob Halford and Geoff Tate, called Trinity.
(source)
Interviewer Where there any songs that was meant to be on the “Trinity” project that ended up on “Tyranny of Souls”?
Roy Z Yes. From my memory definitely “Tyranny of Souls”. You can really hear Bruce and his take on Tate (Geoff) and Mr Halford (Rob) - the metal god. And maybe “Believil” and “Eternal”.

'The Three Tremors" was another name for it (source):

And last but not least, there’s the title track ‘A Tyranny Of Souls’, which was actually written for a completely different project in mind.

“The title track of the album, ‘A Tyranny Of Souls’, is in fact one of the odd tracks out on the album. It was originally written in 2001 for a project called ‘The Three Tremors’. That was supposed to be this collaboration between Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Geoff Tate (Queensrÿche) and myself. We were supposed to be doing an album together, but it never happened (Due to scheduling difficulties and musical differences). So it wasn’t written at the same time as the bulk of the album, and is in fact thematically quite different from the rest of the album as well. It does have a cool title however! (Laughs) I just kept thinking of the name ‘Tyranny Of Souls’, and I kept thinking to myself that it’s a great name to an album. There are lots of titles that I’m very proud of such as ‘Navigate The Seas Of The Sun’, ‘Abduction’ and things like that, but none of them kick you in the nuts quite like ‘Tyranny Of Souls’.”

And indeed: The intro speaks for itself. It was written for these three excellent singers. Too bad the project never worked out. Thank God some of it landed on the Bruce album and also this promo photo is a relic.

I don't have a Bruce top 20, but it I was to make one, the following songs would certainly make it: Tears of the Dragon, The Breeding House, Solar Confinement, Freak, Starchildren, Taking the Queen, Darkside of Aquarius, Road to Hell, Man of Sorrows, Welcome to the Pit, Omega, The Ghost of Cain, Chemical Wedding, The Tower, Machine Men, The Book of Thel, Navigate the Seas of the Sun, Tyranny of Souls, River of No Return.

Seen that photo many times Foro, although only ever heard it referred to as 'The Three Tremors', but no matter how many times I've seen it I swear it doesn't look like Bruce or Geoff. Shame that project never came to bear.

So, the burning question for everyone. Do you want me to add the top 10 songs into the poll have a clean slate for all songs or wait and leave the top 10 songs until the finals?

Ok, the general consensus seems to be that we start afresh, so I'll add Darkside and Omega back in.

Toltec 7 Arrival (10), Acoustic Song (8) and Midnight Jam (12) are eliminated.

Results
Tattooed Millionaire
3. Tattooed Millionaire (7)
4. Darkness Be My Friend (3)
5. All the Young Dudes (2)
6 (tie). Dive! Dive! Dive! (2)
6 (tie). Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaugher (2)
8 (tie). Hell on Wheels (1)
8 (tie). Winds of Change (1)
10. No Lies (1)
11. Gypsy Road (0)
12. Ballad of Mutt (0)
13. Zulu Lulu (0)
14 Lickin' the Gun (0)

Balls to Picasso
5. Sacred Cowboys (6)
6. Hell No (5)
7. 1000 Points of Light (5)
8. Laughing in the Hiding Bush (2)
9 (tie). Gods of War (2)
9 (tie). No Way Out... To Be Continued (2)
11. Shoot All the Clowns (2)
12. No Way Out... Continued (1)
13. Fire (1)
14. Over and Out (1)
15 (tie). Fire Child (0)
15 (tie). Cadillac Gas Mask (0)
17 (tie). Elvis Has Left the Building (0)
17 (tie). Spirit and Joy (0)
17 (tie). Tibet (0)

Skunkworks
5. Solar Confinement (3)
6. Space Race (3)
7. Inside the Machine (3)
8 (tie). Faith (2)
8 (tie). Dreamstate (2)
10. I Will Not Accept the Truth (1)
11 (tie). Meltdown (1)
11 (tie). Octavia (1)
13. Headswitch (1)
14 (tie). Rescue Day (o)
14 (tie). Re-Entry (o)
16 (tie). I'm in a Band With an Italian Drummer (o)
16 (tie). God's Not Coming Back (o)
16 (tie). Armchair Hero (o)
16 (tie). R101 (o)
20. Americans Are Behind (o)

Accident of Birth
14. Acoustic Song (0)
15. Toltec 7 Arrival (0)
16. Midnight Jam (0)

Change of Heart (happy to keep the other 3 Balls songs around for a while though), Innerspace, Strange Death in Paradise (forgot that Space Race was eliminated earlier, which makes my choices from Skunkworks easy now), The Magician, Welcome to the Pit, Wicker Man

Inertia, Innerspace, Strange Death in Paradise, Wicker Man.
I accidentally clicked on Back from the Edge. :mad:

Inertia
Road To Hell
The Magician
Wicker Man

Also Welcome To The Pit but forgot to click it.

The Breeding House
Inertia
Innerspace
Welcome To The Pit
Arc Of Space
The Ghost Of Cain
Wicker Man

Back