Brilliant Alternate versions of Dance of Death And Book of Souls

Lord of Wolves 78

Educated Fool
I thought I'd share these alternate versions of the above mentioned albums, as many people including myself never really liked the originals, or in the case of 'Book of Souls', being a good Eddie cover, but it could've done with a nice background in the theme of this particular Eddie. I did not do the 'Dance of Death' alternate art, but it's really amazing. However I did definitely modify the very last 'Book of Souls' cover. Enjoy them and definitely download them.

Dance of Death one is cool, the other one not so much.
I contest this, solely on the basis that the DoD art is missing the all-important twelve-point star and overall red color scheme that was likely a deliberate choice after the emphasis on blue on Brave New World. Fix those two elements and you might have something.

DoD is ok. Seeing a bunch of real people faces (even tribal) is just wrong on Maiden cover

All of them are too complicated and take away from Eddie too much in a negative way. The DoD cover isn't bad, but doesn't really look very Maiden like, more Iced Earth maybe? I prefer the originals, even the flawed DoD one

The DoD one and the last TBOS one are cool, but although I don't care for either original cover much, at this point I'm so used to them that any alternative just feels wrong.

That's gonna be a big nope on both from me. The DoD one fails because it's so single-toned that you end up playing Where's Waldo with Eddie. Eddie should immediately pop out in any strong Maiden cover, and this one doesn't. Plus, the comic book style I feel doesn't work with Maiden--the only time it did for me was with that super-pulpy Final Frontier single artwork, which I felt was better and more unique than the cover we got.

The Book of Souls one, yeah, that's total crap. Better to have the sheer black background than a stock photo from National Geographic.

The TBOS one is also quite inappropriate, because it mixes the Mayan-theme Eddie with African tribal warriors. Because you know, brown and primitive is brown and primitive, who cares that Maiden put a lot of effort into developing a specifically Mayan theme for the album.

Yes, I'm complaining about racism here, don't get triggered.

The TBOS one is also quite inappropriate, because it mixes the Mayan-theme Eddie with African tribal warriors. Because you know, brown and primitive is brown and primitive, who cares that Maiden put a lot of effort into developing a specifically Mayan theme for the album.

Yes, I'm complaining about racism here, don't get triggered.

Agreed.

Also, less is more people, that's why TBOS already is one of the best ever Maiden covers.

Yes, I'm complaining about racism here, don't get triggered
source.gif

Back