Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

How good is Brighter Than A Thousand Suns on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Because I need a mechanism to express dissatisfaction with arrangement choices. For me, it is a clear cut con on a wide variety of reunion material and since said arrangement choices did not exist in the 80s, just leaving it be wouldn't be fair to that era.

One of the things I admired about Maiden from the get go, was the way they end songs. Current Maiden doesn't end songs well. They pretty much drag you down, IMHO.

Although they claim they don't go specifically for long albums with long songs, they do it all the time, and they need to do it because that's just the way the things are set for them. When you take that as a fact, then you realize that copy pasting intro to outro and 3rd chorus in double time is a very lousy way to fill up their desired album runtime.

Also why 9 and not 9.5 or whatever is because I want to utilize the full range of scores this time around. The scores are Maiden-centric they don't reflect how something compares to 'being a good song'. 10 is absolute perfection.
Ok, just thought the score was too high!

This the only song in which only Adrian and Janick have a solo (without Dave).

What was the story behind this decision?

This the only song in which only Adrian and Janick have a solo (without Dave).

What was the story behind this decision?
I am not sure there is a story. Both solos work extremely well for the song, IMO top five solos from the last six albums. Janick's solo in Blood Brothers might be the only solo to come close.

Giving him just four solos on that album was criminal, especially when he was outplaying Dave half the time (and I say that as a big Murray fanboy), but he certainly made them all count.
I would have loved to hear a version of These Colours Don't Run and Lord of Light with Janick and Adrian doing the solos.

I am not sure there is a story. Both solos work extremely well for the song, IMO top five solos from the last six albums. Janick's solo in Blood Brothers might be the only solo to come close.
There are quite a few solos that are better for me, but I agree that they work extremely well for the song. Top-notch solos for sure.
Janick would fit TCDR perfectly. However, I think Dave's Lord Of Light solo is perfect.
Dave's solo in TCDR is short but fits quite well imo. I agree about his solo in Lord Of Light. Maybe OOTS should have had a second solo played by Janick (it's a Dickinson/Harris song).
Giving him just four solos on that album was criminal,
Not that I don't agree, Janick's 4 solos in AMOLAD album are great, but I think he should have had more than 4 solos in TFF album instead (in IOA or in Starblind). I'm so glad that the last two albums have so many (and longer) solos.

These Colours would suit Janick very nicely, a strong, aggressive riff for him to let rip over, though I do like Dave's solo in Lord of Light too. Something I found that's missing from AMOLAD is a consecutive trio of solos, every 21st century album has at least one. FTGGOG comes close, but Janick and Adrian's are interrupted by a riff. They could've rectified this by giving Janick a solo in Lord of Light after Dave.

Lord of Light was supposed to feature also a solo by Janick, but they replaced it with Adrian's harmonics before Dave's solo.
Source?

Edit: I asked because the second part of Adrian's solo is so well thought out. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Back