BREXIT: You Decide!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CriedWhenBrucieLeft, Jun 22, 2016.

?

How should Cried vote on Thursday?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2016.
  1. Leave

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Remain

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Spoil Ballot

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Don't bother voting

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. FREEDOM!!!

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide ...quite like the Jack of Hearts...

Honestly, the whole Brexit shenanigans only proves that direct democracy and referenda are a really bad idea in general.

Also, I'm really curious about how this will end.

LooseCannon likes this.
  2. GhostofCain

GhostofCain Ancient Mariner

People also seem to forget that the people who voted for Brexit came from all sides of the political spectrum: left, centre-left, centre, centre-right, right...

3. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

It is not undemocratic to reconsider wrong, misled decisions.

*do not ignore the fact that people on the "winning" side have changed their minds as well.
    Great! Looking forward to have these sentiments leading your nation (not). Everything better than a 2nd referendum, isn't it?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  4. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Yes, they are.

5. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

This is it then. Big day today.

6. THESEVENTHMARINER

THESEVENTHMARINER Ancient Mariner

This is the end, beautiful friend. This is the end.

7. Black Wizard

These are the options:

[​IMG]

The deal won't be passed by Parliament. The EU won't renegotiate. Jezza will certainly call for a vote of no confidence in the government, but I don't think the Hard Brexit Tories will vote against the government and the DUP might not either. I wonder what Theresa has up her sleeve.

Forostar likes this.
  8. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

Won't a new general election in practice mean a no deal Brexit anyway? Surely there's no way an election can be held, a new government established and a new Brexit deal presented to Parliament before March 29th?

9. THESEVENTHMARINER

THESEVENTHMARINER Ancient Mariner

Even if Corbyn does table a motion of NC, it certainly won't get passed. No Tory will actually vote for the downfall of the government, and the DUP have stated they won't vote for it. I think Nigel Dodds said that they don't want to see a collapse of the government, but rather the deal voted down.

If every single Labour MP voted in favour of a NC motion, along with the SNP, and the Lib Dems. It still doesn't give them a majority, unless there are some rebel Tory MPs.

There is talks of Article 50 being extended, I know the EU are planning for it to be extended until July at the earliest. So one can assume if there is a new government, they can negotiate a new deal. But what difference will 4 months make, honestly?

10. Black Wizard

It's possible to delay Brexit if all the other EU members agree as part of article 50. I don't know how long for though.

11. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

The only real way that a general election changes Brexit is if the parties take diametrically opposed stances on whether or not Brexit should be allowed to occur. In that situation, it would act as a second referendum by default.

Similarly, if it ends up as Hard Brexit vs. Negotiated Brexit, the election would serve as a de facto referendum on that.

12. phantomoftheicarus

phantomoftheicarus Nobody can ever hear him call

The Brexit deal has been voted down by the Commons. 432 no to 202 yes, the biggest defeat in UK government history

13. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Tomorrow another interesting day. May did not resign, there is no plan B.

How can so many MP's change their opinions?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  14. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I do not think a much better deal CAN be negotiated. So:

Brexit is not possible. Not with a deal at least. Without a deal is even more unbelievable.

15. Black Wizard

Huge defeat for the government. The opposition leaders have tabled a motion of no confidence in the government which will be debated and voted on tomorrow. I doubt the government will lose as none of the Conservative MPs will vote for no confidence.

16. Magnus

Magnus Ancient Mariner

but there's always
    [​IMG]!

17. Black Wizard

I haven't heard anything from Nigel Farage yet.

18. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

19. Brigantium

Brigantium Grim Reaper Staff Member

I'm not sure they did. Some oppose Theresa May. Some oppose the Conservatives. Some don't like the specifics of her deal. Some don't want any kind of deal.

20. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

How will they change their opinions, I meant. How can they still do that. How would that be possible?