Books

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
Just curious what books people like regarding Iron Maiden. I own and have read Run to the Hills, 1st and 3rd editions, 30 Years of the Beast, What Does This Button Do by Bruce, and Maiden Voyage, which is an unoffical biography or such of Bruce. For xmas my girlyfriendy got me the Martin Popoff hardcover book "Album by Album"

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Maiden-...d=1550116314&sr=8-4&keywords=maiden+iron+book

Anyone read this one yet? I love the content, but the author has a really cynical and negative opinion regarding a lot of Maiden's work, considering Brave New World a cash grab by Bruce and that Martin Birch didn't make amazing sounding albums since Piece of Mind. That said, it's great blow by blow of each album and includes interviews with tons of peeps including Blaze Bayley and Chris "Y2K" Jericho.

I'm going to check out both of these, thanks! I remember hearing about the Running Free book and then forgot it existed.

The most important one for me is probably Run to the Hills. Bruce's autobiography is useful too. Popoff's "2 Minutes to Midnight" offers Maiden occurrences day-by-day, so I use that if I need to know the exact dates or order of certain events. "The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Beast" by Neil Daniels is not very good as a book, but it has setlists, concert dates etc, so it's handy for checking those out. Of course, all this information can probably be easily found online, but I prefer books. :)

The most important one for me is probably Run to the Hills. Bruce's autobiography is useful too. Popoff's "2 Minutes to Midnight" offers Maiden occurrences day-by-day, so I use that if I need to know the exact dates or order of certain events. "The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Beast" by Neil Daniels is not very good as a book, but it has setlists, concert dates etc, so it's handy for checking those out. Of course, all this information can probably be easily found online, but I prefer books. :)
How is Popoff’s attitude in that one? I mentioned it above but he seems, at least in what I’m reading, to be overly negative and cynical.

How is Popoff’s attitude in that one? I mentioned it above but he seems, at least in what I’m reading, to be overly negative and cynical.
The book has descriptions on what happened each day, and extracts from interviews at the time, so the attitude of the writer doesn't really come up.

Thanks! I’ll check it out! I do wish at least one of these books had a better documented synopsis of what happened in ‘99 with the reunion. Maybe one day Steve Harris will do a biography himself. “Hallowed Be My Band: Steve Harris story.” Produced by Steve Harris and Edited by Nigel Green.

Thanks! I’ll check it out! I do wish at least one of these books had a better documented synopsis of what happened in ‘99 with the reunion. Maybe one day Steve Harris will do a biography himself. “Hallowed Be My Band: Steve Harris story.” Produced by Steve Harris and Edited by Nigel Green.
I'd love Steve's biography, didn't he say somewhere that he might be interested in doing one? Unfortunately I can't remember the source at all. And yes, he'd probably produce it himself. :bigsmile:

I really liked Loopyworld by Steve Newhouse. He was a roadie for Iron Maiden from '78 to '84 and this book is his first hand account of his time working for Maiden.

Attachments

• Hh35uAAQhAHLMsx5dTcv14T4kxmXq_Fdd8Njg-ZCZ-8.jpg
    Hh35uAAQhAHLMsx5dTcv14T4kxmXq_Fdd8Njg-ZCZ-8.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 6
I would also avoid this book at all costs:

Iron Maiden - Playing With Madness: A Collection Of Writings On The Beast – Neil Daniels

I really liked Loopyworld by Steve Newhouse. He was a roadie for Iron Maiden from '78 to '84 and this book is his first hand account of his time working for Maiden.
This book isn't on Amazon. How does a man like me acquire a book like that?

Speaking of books, I'm still moving shit into my new house and went through some boxes last night, and found my Run to the Hills books. My 1st edition is in a bit of a shamble but my 3rd edition is in great shape. I kinda want a second edition just to complete my collection of "nerdy band books no one but me and forum people has read".

Back