Books

Popoff doesn't have the best of reputations or track records when it comes to Maiden books, so don't get too excited.

I read a some of Popoff's books while researching for my book. He repeats himself a lot and doesn't give any "news" because of that. I would strongly recommend to anyone who is interested in finding out something new about the band, not buying his books.

Honestly one of the reasons why I finally ended up publishing my book was because I was kind of tired of reading books about Maiden that didn't taught me anything I didn't knew already.

I got one of his books for xmas last year. It was the album by album book. Which I actually took offense to because he says shit like "none of Maiden's albums have good production save Piece of Mind" and insults the Blaze albums. Which is totally cool if that's your opinion, but the folks who'd by this book are going to be fans of the band. As a fan, I don't want to read a published work that I paid for tell me I have bad taste. I can get that for free on the forums!

I got one of his books for xmas last year. It was the album by album book. Which I actually took offense to because he says shit like "none of Maiden's albums have good production save Piece of Mind" and insults the Blaze albums. Which is totally cool if that's your opinion, but the folks who'd by this book are going to be fans of the band. As a fan, I don't want to read a published work that I paid for tell me I have bad taste. I can get that for free on the forums!

That was one of the books I read while researching for mine so I totally understand what you're saying. It was also one of the reasons I did not want to give my opinion about any of the albums or songs in the Maiden catalog in my book, after all, who am I to rate anything Maiden do? Of course I do have my taste and I critize something they have done but I don't think people want to know about that, so in my book I just give facts as I know them not tainted by what I do or do not like

Were I to write a book about Maiden in regards to their albums, I'd stick to either hard truths regarding the album, or positive things that can be seen as more or less fact. For example, the opinion "X Factor is Maiden at their darkest" is something that fans and non-fans of the album can agree with and it doesn't intentionally alienate fans.

Were I to write a book about Maiden in regards to their albums, I'd stick to either hard truths regarding the album, or positive things that can be seen as more or less fact. For example, the opinion "X Factor is Maiden at their darkest" is something that fans and non-fans of the album can agree with and it doesn't intentionally alienate fans.

That would be the best thing to do and that's what I did

I like Martin Popoff’s books. I don’t mind him being opinionated at all and even when he slags off an album or song I like I still find it interesting to hear opposite opinions and views to mine. Too many times I’ve read books where the author sits on the fence and is trying too hard to be a people pleaser. It’s quite refreshing to hear someone else go out on a limb and give their honest opinions. As long as the author doesn’t get too preachy and present their opinions as facts or their opinions as better than others because he/she thinks they are more of an expert than the average fan then it’s all good.

having said that I will say thank you Luisma for the sample of your book you sent me. It does look like an impressive amount of info is here and it’s clearly a labour of love. I need to set myself up a paypal account as I don’t use it but will set one up then be in touch as I will be buying your book:)

I agree with what you said @Wayne Bond. The thing that I have found with Martin is that he ends up repeating himself 'til the point he ends up being boring, but hey, is just a matter of opinion.

On the other side, thank you very much for your words. Indeed is been years of research and I do enjoy sharing the knowledge I have gathered with other fans. If you by any chance use Zelle, you could also pay with that. PayPal is very easy to use in any case so I'm sure you could get the hang of it very easily! In any case, do keep in touch, is really a pleasure to talk with other fans about all stuff Maiden! :blush:

Last edited:
Here's a small video preview of my ebook Detailed Discography Of The Beast

Remember, you can always ask for details by subscribing http://subscribepage.com/luisma666 You won't regret it!

Have you visit the Detailed Discography Of The Beast FB Page? https://www.facebook.com/MaidenDetailedDiscography/?modal=admin_todo_tour
Great but IMHO: you should think over the front cover art style. It looks rubbish, childish. Better to change it for some kind of IM artworks collage (singles and albums or so). With this Eddie you portrayed (some sketch of Edd) no one treat this book serious. Think it all over, please. Just advice.

Great but IMHO: you should think over the front cover art style. It looks rubbish, childish. Better to change it for some kind of IM artworks collage (singles and albums or so). With this Eddie you portrayed (some sketch of Edd) no one treat this book serious. Think it all over, please. Just advice.

Hello there. Thanks for your advice. Everyone is entitled to its opinion but you should consider by now that a book can't be judge by its cover ;) Also a hundred buyers disagree with you... On a last note, you can let people like @sfrc or @cnesbit, tell you about how serious is the book

I don't judge the book by its cover at all. I perfectly know about it - but, the cover could be definitely way better, more interesting. Didn't you think about some kind of collage from IM career? I believe the book is amazing, I'm just pretty sure! Congrats.

Keep in mind this “advice” is coming from a guy who constantly claims that the next Maiden tour is going to flop and end their career.

I don't judge the book by its cover at all. I perfectly know about it - but, the cover could be definitely way better, more interesting. Didn't you think about some kind of collage from IM career? I believe the book is amazing, I'm just pretty sure! Congrats.

Hello mate. I do agree that the cover could have look better, almost always things can, however, I wanted the cover to represent various things about Maiden. If you watch carefully you'll notice that the Eddie has details from almost every album Maiden has released:

1. Yellow shirt & lots of white hair (IM / Killers / TNOB)
2. Metal Plate in the forehead (Piece Of Mind)
3. Left eye with Lightning (Live After Death)
4. Right Eye & Neck (Somewhere In Time / SSOSS)
5. Bandages in arm (Powerslave)
6. White paint around eyes & mouth (Book Of Souls)

Many years ago, I printed what could be considered the second version of the book that ended up being the Detailed Discography Of The Beast and the cover was what you suggested. I thought it was ok but nothing original and that's definitely not what I wanted for the cover. Anyone can do what you suggest but to draw Eddie is nothing simple and the artist that did it, believe or not did put a lot of effort on the drawing, you wouldn't believe how much work went into it. To be honest, the only thing I didn't love of the artwork was the hair, but as the painting was done by hand and slightly altered digitaly, there was nothing that could be done to fix the hair and I wanted to start selling the book to help my two old folks to have a good Christmas.

Once again, I do appreciate your comments, 'cause is interesting to receive various opinions, even if some of them are not what we want to hear.

On another note, if you love Maiden I would definitely suggest you get my book, you won't be dissapointed!

I finally made an updated version of the preview video of the ebook where the audio is part of what Nesbit from Talking Maiden: The Podcast Of The Beast gives details about the contents and gives his impression about the ebook. You can see it and hear it now!

And get the ebook here http://subscribepage.com/luisma666 You won't regret it!

You ain't seen nothing yet!

Greetings! New here, Maiden fan since I first discovered the band back in 1987, when I was just 14.

So, what is the consensus on Neils Daniels' «Iron Maiden – The Ultimate Unauthorized Biography of the Beast»?

Hey everybody! I hope you're all doing ok as well as your loved ones.

I came back after a long time just to let you all know that my ebook DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST since the start of the pandemic has a 10USD discount over the price and it has been selling really well! Also, we now have an exclusive FB group where other researchers, serious collectors and even some ex-members of the band are members so if you want to keep helping me and my family by buying the book (which you will get as soon as you pay thanks to technology!) you can just by subscribing at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666 or you can just PM and I'll give you the details for the payment... Trust me, you won't regret it!

Back