Blood on the World's Hands

How good is Blood on the World's Hands on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Blood on the World's Hands

No, I don't think you over-analyze in song discussions, really. That was a more general remark, not aimed directly at you.

(But some other times, I'd say you over-analyze things. Like, for example, Steve wearing the "Whale Oil Beef Hooked" t-shirt in Norway, after having worn it on the entire tour.  ;) But don't take it too seriously, because I'm not saying that you are, in general, over-analyzing things. I am in general careful to project what people write on an internet forum on their real-life personality, since I obviously don't know that much about it)

Now, back to the topic: This is a bloody good song.

I don't mind if a band uses certain chord progressions/riffs/licks in a new song that resemble those used in previous tracks. It kind of helps reinforce the bands signature sound in a weird way. If it was an issue a claim could be made that Hallowed be thy Name plagiarises from a riff embedded within Gengis Khan. To me Blood on the Worlds Hands sounds like Maiden, sounds inspired, and sounds like a band that was confident to record music post-Bruce. Top track, even better live.

Steve's solo at the start is perhaps the most unique moment in the Maiden catalogue. It is also one of my absolute favourite moments on this album and hence, overall. It transmits a tense, gloomy and apocalyptic atmosphere that always manages to capture, chill and haunt me. Whenever I even look at the cover artwork for the album (which is often enough, given I have a poster hanging behind my desk), the first thing that springs to mind is this bass solo.

The rest of the song lives up to it in atmosphere and quality. While it retains the gloom of the intro, it also thrashes out with the helpless anger and disgust I always feel when reading the paper or watching the evening news. As with the rest of the album, the lyrics are deep, poetic and thought-provoking. The guitars manage to emphasise the feeling of melancholy and numbness the lyrics carry. 10/10.

9/10. Fantastic intro and as Perun said, it does give off a real atmosphere to set the tone for the rest of the song. It's out of control...

I think he'll do himself!

As for the song, it's great. Steve's solo is awesome, it really is. Makes me wish he would take the spotlight a bit more, he has amazing talent and he rarely (if at all) shows it. Other than his galloping of course.

The rest of the song is really good, that middle riff is pretty awesome and unique, and my favorite part is right after the "blood on the world's hands" by Blaze. The guitar almost seems to say "blood" before I realise it's a guitar, and it surprises me everytime. Great solos and great vocals.

With that said, the verses aren't really that great, with a pretty basic chord structure, and it takes from thie song's feeling of uniqueness. I'll give it an 8.5, just low enough for it to be an 8.

Damn, I didn't even think about it when I voted, and here I am 2 hours later.

The bass intro doesn't excite me all that much, but it's something new and different which is always good, and as far as setting up an atmosphere, it does that well. It's a strong track overall with good variety; the chorus doesn't sound the best though. 7/10

Forostar said:
Blood on Khadaffi's hands.

....someone should

It won't take long. You don't declare war on your own people and live through it.

Mega said:
Makes me wish he would take the spotlight a bit more, he has amazing talent and he rarely (if at all) shows it. Other than his galloping of course.

It seems like that because Steve's bass lines often sound like guitar melodies to an untrained ear. You'd be surprised at what is being played by him if you actually saw it.

I don't think I'm missing anything. With Maiden songs at least, I like to think that with the number of times I've listened to them, I have already heard everything.

Can you give a couple of examples?

Forostar said:
Blood on Khadaffi's hands.

....someone should

It seems both parts of the military as well as many Libyan diplomats have already turned their backs on him, so it would surprise me if he stays in power until the summer.

The problem is that he has loyal "special forces" which have lots of modern weapons, and if they'll really use it til the last bullet... ...

At least now its looking like Army vs. Kadaffi's guards instead of Army vs. unarmed civilians.

I doubt how much the army is much of a protection in the Tripoli area. Let's hope the best of it.

I think Kadaffi has lost what is left of his mind, which makes this situation much more dangerous than Egypt ever was.

As for the song, as I mentioned before, Blaze's voice really wears thin as the album goes on due to lack of variation for me.  On it's own, I give this song a 8, the music behind it is really good, at this point in the album, I give it a 5, for this poll, I'll give it a 7

I'm gonna give it a 7.  I like the interesting, original intro, and I like the riffs in the verses, but some of the lyrics are kind of awkward, even though Blaze's delivery for the most part is fantastic.  But also, unfortunately, the chorus is awful.  One of Maiden's worse and really brings the song down.

bearfan said:
I think Kadaffi has lost what is left of his mind, which makes this situation much more dangerous than Egypt ever was.

As for the song, as I mentioned before, Blaze's voice really wears thin as the album goes on due to lack of variation for me.   On it's own, I give this song a 8, the music behind it is really good, at this point in the album, I give it a 5, for this poll, I'll give it a 7

To me, this is perhaps the biggest weakness of Blaze as a singer. He doesn't have nearly as much variation in his voice as the guys from the "top shelf", like Bruce or Rob Halford. Thus, when you look at the album as a whole, it can become monotonous.

However, when I rate individual songs, I don't take that into consideration. I judge each song on its own (although if a song feels very out of place, it may influence my liking for it), and on this song I think Blaze's voice fits very well.

Eddies Wingman said:
To me, this is perhaps the biggest weakness of Blaze as a singer. He doesn't have nearly as much variation in his voice as the guys from the "top shelf", like Bruce or Rob Halford. Thus, when you look at the album as a whole, it can become monotonous.

However, when I rate individual songs, I don't take that into consideration. I judge each song on its own (although if a song feels very out of place, it may influence my liking for it), and on this song I think Blaze's voice fits very well.

What I do not get is I think he can have more variation that he used with Maiden.  I think he has a better voice than Di'anno, but Paul had a good way of varying the way he sang to make it interesting. 

I think in terms of the 2 studio albums, this was Blaze's biggest problem, he would sing louder and softer, but no variation beyond that.  If you listen to a song or two at a time, he sounds very good, by the time I hit song #5 or 6, it gets redundant.

I just realized I haven't voted on the song.

I have been up all night recabling the server room at work; I am a little tired.

This is a good track, but it is nothing really special to me; I recognize why people find it special, but this is not a track I consider incredible. It is, however, quite good, so a 7; it could be an 8 from time to time, but it is not currently.

bearfan said:
What I do not get is I think he can have more variation that he used with Maiden.   I think he has a better voice than Di'anno, but Paul had a good way of varying the way he sang to make it interesting. 

I think in terms of the 2 studio albums, this was Blaze's biggest problem, he would sing louder and softer, but no variation beyond that.  If you listen to a song or two at a time, he sounds very good, by the time I hit song #5 or 6, it gets redundant.

Exactly. That's also why I think that song for song, The X Factor is a great album - I have not gone below 7 for any of the first 8 songs - still, I don't listen to it from start to finish very often. I need to be in a particular mood to do that.

Pretty good song, but it's never been one of my favorites.  I love the bass intro and the melodies, but the vocal performance really drags this one down a bit.

That being said, like pretty much everything on this album, this song was so much better live it's not even funny. 

I'll give it a 7.

Back