Blood on the World's Hands

How good is Blood on the World's Hands on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: 'Blood On The World's Hands'

It's mostly the context- the song was released in 1995, and at that time, the news were all about Bosnia and Sarajevo.

I'm not at ALL a fan of the BB era (or the singer either), but this is probably my favorite Bayley-sung song.  Fine song in general and great performance.  It's one of about 3 BB songs I can actually listen to without being-filtered through the Dickinson reunion era live performances...and still enjoy.

Kickass song. Another X-Factor gem that disappeared from the setlist too soon.  Love the lyrics and Blaze's performance, and the waltz-thingy.  The chorus is heavy as fuck for Maiden!

This song like the whole X factor album is a pretty solid offering... ok it has one weakness... Judgement Of Heaven, I am reluctant to criticize the album at all, I do think it is one of their finest, a real promising start for the BB era... pity about Virtual XI then. I remember thinking at the time of it's release that if BD had been the voice on this record that it would have been a master piece on par with any of the 80's classics, having said that BB did a fine job on vocals, since then any live versions of the X factor songs I have heard with Bruce on vocals have only served to reinforce my original opinion.

Daily Song: Blood on the World's Hands

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Blood on the World's Hands

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

Re: Daily Song: Blood on the World's Hands

8. Tense intro, experimental, unique and remarkable; the song bursts with aggression and Blaze delivers in great manner. The chorus is a different type of idea, too, but it could've been better, so as the "Blood On The World's Hands..." repetition before getting back to the bridge; solos are short, but fantastic, as throughout the whole album.

7 out of 10... This one's one of the stronger cuts on the album. The intro rates among my favorite Harris moments, and the anger of the song explodes in both the lyrics and the music. Not the most typical Maiden tune, but one of my favorites from the Bayley era...

This is a song I respect, but don’t really like. The intro is cool, the composition is creative and well performed, the singing passionate and the lyrics heartfelt. But the chorus fails to grab and the way the melody of the verses matches the riff comes across a little sophomoric. Overall, I find it a bit overblown; I get it, but my emotional reaction is “OK, enough already.” Five.

8. The intro is great, and the rest of the song isn't very back behind. One of my favorite Blaze era songs.

Yup. The intro is great indeed! Blaze delivers the verses pretty good. Better than the previous song, but nothing remarkable about this one.

A low 6.

Hmm, I think that it's proggy aspects are scaring some people out here. Anyway:

I'll tell you guys what is special about Blood on the World's Hands. Most of all, this song is one big evil motherfucking riff feast.

The bass intro is atmospheric and dynamic at the same time, and functions as a warning sign. Nicko's rhythm is pretty unique. This eastern flavour to some of the riffs and melodies are really grabbing me. The synth helps making it one of Maiden's most threatening songs.

Actually: I don't think Maiden's music ever fitted better to its lyrics (or the other way around).

The solos belong to the best Maiden has ever done and this is also Blaze's best performance.
He tears it all open, I can see the fire burning in his eyes while listening to his menacing delivery.
He does those high notes incredibly well. Just love it! This is for me the Blaze-era song that I would like to hear live again, but I am not sure how Bruce would deliver this.

By the way, I noticed that Steve borrowed some of this music for "For the Greater Good of God". Compare:

"Blood on the World's Hands"     --> 1.47-2.04   and   5.23-end
with:
"For the Greater Good of God"   --> 6.02-6.16   and   6.30-6.44

An extreme high nine, so high, that it's nearer to 10. --> 10!

The only Maiden song opening with an actual bass solo, already makes it pretty unique within the catalogue. It is definitely a song which varies a lot throughout so it never becomes boring. I also like how, at 4:20, the guitars echo the vocal melody rather than opposite (often, we hear that Maiden like to repeat a guitar part twice without vocals and then a couple of times with vocals. This time, the other way around). This song is an experiment that turned out good (unlike the songs I rated 4 on the previous album ...) and all in all it is a great song, one of the best from the album. 9/10.

Foro - I can hear that similarity to For The Greater Good Of God, although I don't think the similarity is so striking it should take anything away from the latter (which I like a lot as well).

When I heard FTGGOG, it instantly sounded familiar (in a way of: they did that before) so for me it takes something away.

Does the same go for the borrowing of the No More Lies-riff in Isle of Avalon, or the intro of Tailgunner which is very similar to The Clairvoyant? I mean, Maiden songs containing parts that are inspired by older Maiden songs are not a new phenomenon. Heck, even within the same album you can find parts that are similar (ref. The Duellists and Rime of the Ancient Mariner)

In some cases it may even seem like homage to older songs (like the Isle of Avalon intro, which has much in common with the mid part of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son). I have the following stance on this kind of "inspiration": As long as the whole song isn't based on old stuff or the rip-offs are too blatant (think back to the discussion about a certain Gamma Ray album), I have nothing against borrowing a little part from an older song.

Eddies Wingman said:
Does the same go for the borrowing of the No More Lies-riff in Isle of Avalon, or the intro of Tailgunner which is very similar to The Clairvoyant?

I have never noticed those similarities until others noticed it. I can see some similarity in the second example, but I see distinct differences as well.

And I don't even know what you're talking about in the first example. Help me out.

Eddies Wingman said:
I mean, Maiden songs containing parts that are inspired by older Maiden songs are not a new phenomenon. Heck, even within the same album you can find parts that are similar (ref. The Duellists and Rime of the Ancient Mariner)

E.g.? Stylewise perhaps, but would you point me out which parts sound the same?

Eddies Wingman said:
In some cases it may even seem like homage to older songs (like the Isle of Avalon intro, which has much in common with the mid part of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son).

Honestly never had the idea. I guess you mean the drum pattern?

Eddies Wingman said:
I have the following stance on this kind of "inspiration": As long as the whole song isn't based on old stuff or the rip-offs are too blatant (think back to the discussion about a certain Gamma Ray album), I have nothing against borrowing a little part from an older song.

I prefer it when artists don't.

No More Lies: Starting at 0:45. Isle of Avalon: 7:24. It's not really that similar, but several have pointed it out. By the way, I think you have once mentioned that this part of No More Lies in turn is borrowed from (or inspired by) the part in The Educated Fool starting at 3:37.

The Duellists: 4:14 to 4:36. Rime of the Ancient Mariner: 10:03 to 10:28.

Forostar said:
Honestly never had the idea. I guess you mean the drum pattern?

Yes, but generally the whole feeling of those parts, including the alternating between keys.

Forostar said:
I prefer it when artists don't.

Fair enough. I think it's OK as long as it doesn't become dominant. I won't let a similarity to an older song ruin my opinion on an otherwise good song - as long as the new song isn't completely based on old ideas. In other words, if a song generally is original, borrowing a lick or a chord progression from an older song for a little part of the new one is OK.

Thanks for pointing out these parts. I'll check them asap. I guess it's a good attitude to not be bothered too much (what a terrible sentence!) about this kind of borrowing, and some people are better in this than others. :)

I am, in general, quite laid-back when it comes to music. If I like it, I like it, and I don't like over-analyzing it. On the other hand, I really like studying it, and finding out new things about it. This forum is excellent for that purpose  :D

Jeffmetal said:
8. Tense intro, experimental, unique and remarkable; the song bursts with aggression and Blaze delivers in great manner. The chorus is a different type of idea, too, but it could've been better, so as the "Blood On The World's Hands..." repetition before getting back to the bridge; solos are short, but fantastic, as throughout the whole album.
This!

Eddies Wingman said:
I am, in general, quite laid-back when it comes to music. If I like it, I like it, and I don't like over-analyzing it. On the other hand, I really like studying it, and finding out new things about it. This forum is excellent for that purpose  :D

Hmm, I don't hope I give the impression that I am over-analyzing, let alone analyzing.
When I listen to Maiden, these impressions come to me without studying on it for hours, days or years.
It flows automatically, so to speak. On this board I only attempt to describe this process, and see how others experience it.

Back