Blood Brothers

How good is Blood Brothers on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
One of the most powerful songs Steve has written. Very dynamic with some really beautiful orchestrations. I've been solidly meh on most of the Maiden orchestrations before and after this song, but here it's really integrated perfectly with the song. One of the best choruses in the Maiden catalog and I love the main melody.

The bridge is incredible. Love the way that builds up and layers. The way the guitar blends with the orchestra is perfect. I also love the guitar solo that comes out of it, again one of the very best. Amazing buildup there.

Finally they bring it all together with the final chorus which is even more immense.

One of their most powerful tracks lyrically and musically. Incredible tension throughout which builds to each chorus, especially the final chorus. The guitar and keyboard melodies are truly stunning and Jan is immense again. The bit where the solo suddenly picks up pace and volume into the final chorus. Just wow.

One of my favourite Maiden songs. The lyrics are really powerful and emotional, and the music is just wonderful. Janick does his best solo ever. It's also one of Maiden's finest live songs.

10/10

10/10

The most personal song on the album is Blood Brothers, a pondering on the relationship between man and fate and also a heartfelt reflection on Steve’s departed father. Although the keyboards feel a bit too obtrusive at times, Blood Brothers is a powerful song. It takes on a new meaning with the reunion of the old members and becomes almost a lyrical pact bonding these musicians together forevermore. The Celtic vibes are strong with this one, especially during the “orchestral” bridge section.

First thing I thought of when I heard there was a song called 'Blood Brothers': BONDED BY BLOOD!!! :edmetal::shred::rocker:

This is not that song.

That said, while I was expecting a faster song, what we're given instead works well enough nonetheless. It's slow, moody, and you can tell it's personal. It continues to grow on me, and right now gets an 8/10, though it may be higher sometime down the road.

Well, this song is a mirror of current situation in the world. If you ask me, it is very emotional and it should be on their every setlist in a future!
I am really enjoying this song live!

10/10

I never really understood all the love for this song, as I find it to be far weaker than most of Harris' epics.It really doesn't have anything to make it stand out, except for maybe the breakdown before the solo. Not really memorable overall, though. The chorus is very sticky, for sure, but it just feels awkward. I can't give this more than an 8 (and a very low 8, mind you).

Reactions: Gk1
It’s definitely an emotional song, especially for Steve, but it’s not as good as other tracks on the album, despite being more played. Admittedly, it’s great for crowd participation live though. 8/10

A soft bass-driven opening with string accompaniment leads into a soft, pulsing verse that gradually builds into a harder chorus. The verse is good, but the chorus vocal line is weak and repetitive. (The backing music on the chorus is actually pretty nice.)

Another round of verse and chorus, and then we get a soft interlude with a pretty good heavier bridge that leads back into the so-so chorus.

A nice solo leads into a nice harmonized section and another soft interlude that leads into a soft second bridge. Another interlude and a pretty epic solo give way to a final chorus reprise that sounds a little better when the vocal harmonies come in. The outro circles back to the intro to close things down.

A good song held back by a weak chorus. 7/10.

A really moody song that's become a fan favorite over the years, "Blood Brothers" deals with death, life, and the world at large. It's a really good song, but on the bottom half of the album for me... which isn't saying much. 8

Beautiful intro starts this eternal classic. Great lyrics. Dave's melodies are amazing! Bruce sounds better than ever on this song. The verses/pre-chorus are awesome and the actual chorus is simple but so effective. Fantastic harmonies through the whole song. Great bass lines from Steve. Dave's solo is great, but Janick's one is his best ever solo - he really shines during the instrumental section. One of the best Maiden songs ever imo. It is in my top 10. 10/10.

This part is golden:

''When you think that we've used all our chances
And the chance to make everything right
Keep on making the same old mistakes
Makes untipping the balance so easy
When we're living our lives on the edge
Say a prayer on the book of the dead''

Last edited:
This part is golden:

''When you think that we've used all our chances
And the chance to make everything right
Keep on making the same old mistakes
Makes untipping the balance so easy
When we're living our lives on the edge
Say a prayer on the book of the dead''
Easily one of the best verses Maiden has ever done.

The title of the song refers to a
Indian ceremony during which two friends
they cut their hand over the wrist and
brought their wounds in contact,
exchanging, at the same time, vows of eternity
friendship. In the lyrics of this song ο
Harris, once again, mentions his dead father, but also the "book of the dead" (see "The Educated Fool"). THE
he has stated that the lyrics refer to the fact that “we are all made of
flesh and blood, as well as the fact that in the world you meet both evil and
good". According to Dickinson, Harris addresses through the lyrics
to his father, assuring him that they would be united forever, “brothers
blood ".

Back