Blind Guardian

I have a life.
e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

There's new Blind Guardian Twilight Orchestra song called 'This Storm' on Spotify. It's a bit odd hearing Hansi singing over an orchestra so this will take some getting used to.

It's about Lord of the rings, isn't it? :innocent:
No, and if you'd been paying attention to the press releases regarding 'Legacy of the Dark Lands' then you'd know that. Furthermore, if you'd paid any attention to Blind Guardian over the last twenty years then you'd know that their last Tolkien-based song was 'Harvest of Sorrow' - a bonus track for 'A Night at the Opera' in 2002.

No, and if you'd been paying attention to the press releases regarding 'Legacy of the Dark Lands' then you'd know that. Furthermore, if you'd paid any attention to Blind Guardian over the last twenty years then you'd know that their last Tolkien-based song was 'Harvest of Sorrow' - a bonus track for 'A Night at the Opera' in 2002.
This guy Blind Guardian's.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.png

There's new Blind Guardian Twilight Orchestra song called 'This Storm' on Spotify. It's a bit odd hearing Hansi singing over an orchestra so this will take some getting used to.
I'm checking out the album now. It is quite different, but once you get into it, it's pretty good. I wonder how they'll tour this. They'll probably have to have the orchestra and choir piped in.

I'm checking out the album now. It is quite different, but once you get into it, it's pretty good. I wonder how they'll tour this. They'll probably have to have the orchestra and choir piped in.

I wondered the same thing about the therion and rhapsody. They have the symphony prerecorded. Therion does tour with sopranos and tenors, but rhapsody has all of it on a track.

I'm surprised thoughts on this haven't started coming in here.

Anyway, I finally got the chance to listen under headphones from start to finish and WOW!!! What an amazing masterpiece! 10/10! I've pretty much never listened anything for classical music or symphonies or anything like that because most of it is too corny for me, but I love hearing it done BG style! This truly is a very magical and special album!

I'm surprised thoughts on this haven't started coming in here.

Anyway, I finally got the chance to listen under headphones from start to finish and WOW!!! What an amazing masterpiece! 10/10! I've pretty much never listened anything for classical music or symphonies or anything like that because most of it is too corny for me, but I love hearing it done BG style! This truly is a very magical and special album!
@Travis The Dragon what do you mean that classical music is "too corny" for you?

I've given 'Legacy of the Dark Lands' several listens over the last week and it grew on me but never really blew me away. It's an impressive project which Hansi has called their "magnum opus" on a par with 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' which I disagree with - 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' is far superior. 'Legacy of the Dark Lands' is very long at 24 tracks, many of which are spoken word interludes using the same people who narrated for 'Nightfall in Middle Earth'. While I think it was pretty cool to bring them back for the orchestral album some of the interludes sound too similar in tone and wording to those on 'Nightfall in Middle Earth' so I kept wanting to hear classic Blind Guardian songs like 'Nightfall' and 'Mirror, Mirror' instead. Perhaps I need to read the book upon which this album is based to appreciate the album properly because I haven't yet manged to discern what the story is, although I don't know if the book has been published in English.

I don't want to complain about the album too much. Interludes aside, the music is pleasant too listen to but I would prefer if there was some more euphoric moments that Blind Guardian have done so well in the past. Like @LooseCannon has said, it didn't stick too much and will probably require many more listens over time to fully engage with it. I felt that it picked up in the second half of the album where the songs seemed a bit more powerful. Probably the most memorable part of the album for me is in 'Treason' where the repeated line "Behold the new born star" which is sung/sang in a manner remarkably similar to parts of 'New Horizons' by Anneke van Giersbergen's The Gentle Storm! I'm sure the similarity is just a coincidence though.

I think by corny he means Rhapsody's the last winged unicorn. I love it, but it is extremely corny, so I guess it's not so much the music, but the lyrics

I just don't get into it at all. But when hearing it done with music that fits BG's style sounds really amazing to me.
I'm sorry Travis, but you haven't explained yourself at all here. :huh:
I think by corny he means Rhapsody's the last winged unicorn. I love it, but it is extremely corny, so I guess it's not so much the music, but the lyrics
He specifically mentioned Classical music and symphonies though. Rhapsody might be a Symphonic Metal band but they aren't Classical music. I would certainly never describe Wagner or Beethoven as "corny".

I'm sorry Travis, but you haven't explained yourself at all here. :huh:
The only classical music that I recall hearing was quite a few years ago. I don't know what it was, but I remember that it sounded corny to me I didn't like so I never listened to any of it at all. However, I just checked out Beethoven and Silence is beautiful! I could almost hear some of that being good melodic riffs in some power metal.

This album reminds me a lot of Dream Theater's Astonishing in the way that I can tell a lot of work went into it but after a few spins I basically have zero desire to ever listen to it again.

Yikes, dude. Hope all has gone well.
All good, it was voluntary, moved to Nashville to be closer to family. I like my new law partners, it’s a good firm. I do have mixed emotions about leaving L.A., though. Will be harder to see Maiden as often, but I am planning to see Opeth at the Ryman Auditorium in the Spring, which should be quite an experience. The Grand Ole Opry meets Swedish progressive metal.

Back on topic: I think the orchestra sounds fantastic and the music is well-written. As for the “corny” comment, I agree to some extent. It occasionally lapses into Broadway showtune territory, which makes me cringe (I am one of very few who dislike “Empire of the Clouds” for that reason). But hey, BG have always been unapologetically nerdy and uncool, that is partly what makes them so fun. This is about as nerdy and uncool as they have ever been.

I think the orchestra sounds fantastic and the music is well-written. As for the “corny” comment, I agree to some extent. It occasionally lapses into Broadway showtune territory, which makes me cringe (I am one of very few who dislike “Empire of the Clouds” for that reason). But hey, BG have always been unapologetically nerdy and uncool, that is partly what makes them so fun. This is about as nerdy and uncool as they have ever been.
I do know what you mean about crossing over to a Broadway feel. For me it's like amazing epic RPG fantasy music with really great singing. BG have released something very special and really unique here.

Back