Blind Guardian

They're here the day before my birthday. Maybe I'll check it out.

As a Maiden fan who has never heard anything from Blind Guardian, which album(s) should I begin with?

As a Maiden fan who has never heard anything from Blind Guardian, which album(s) should I begin with?
You might get the best sense of the band's overall work by checking out their live album, called simply Live, or their best-of compilation titled Memories of a Time To Come. Live in particular is one of my favorite live albums ever. Memories has the amazing "Sacred Worlds" (their best song, IMO) and the epic "And Then There Was Silence," which are not found on Live but are essential. "Nightfall" is another essential track, found on both.

Among the proper studio albums, I would start with Imaginations From the Other Side. Nightfall In Middle-Earth is also great, but note that it is a concept album based on Tolkien's The Silmarillion, so it may not be for everyone.

Good luck, and enjoy! Blind Guardian is one of the best metal bands out there.

Among the proper studio albums, I would start with Imaginations From the Other Side. Nightfall In Middle-Earth is also great, but note that it is a concept album based on Tolkien's The Silmarillion, so it may not be for everyone.

Agree. My first were Imaginations and I still think it was the best possible choice. Nightfall might discourage you/piss you off with those endless interludes, if you're a first time listener and IMHO the songs are not as immediately catchy as those from Imaginations.

Agreed on Imaginations or Tales From the Twilight World. Nightfall might be better but I typically recommend avoiding concept albums/rock operas for a new listener. When I tried BG for the first time (working chronologically), Tales was the first one I really enjoyed.

I've never rated Nightfall much until I heard the version without the interludes, it's 1000x better, been listening to that one for years and almost forgot about the interludes.

Back