1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blind Guardian

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Anonymous, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Travis The Dragon

Travis The Dragon The dreamers may die, but the dreams live on.

HUGE spoiler alert about BG's setlist on their upcoming North American tour.
    They will be performing the entire Imaginations From The Other Side album: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bl...-the-other-side-album-on-north-american-tour/ I know they've done every song from it over the years, but if you've seen them, you've only gotten part of the album so it would be pretty awesome to see all of it performed.

Black Bart likes this.
  2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

They're here the day before my birthday. Maybe I'll check it out.

3. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

Jealous.

4. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Ugh, that tour is in London, closest date. Crappy.

5. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Hey! What's wrong with London? :(

6. LooseCannon

It's 7 hours away by car.

7. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Yeah, I did that trip.

8. Aces_High

Aces_High Gathering speed as I head down the runway

As a Maiden fan who has never heard anything from Blind Guardian, which album(s) should I begin with?

9. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Tales From The Twilight World and Nightfall In Middle-Earth.

Aces_High likes this.
  10. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Electric Eye

You might get the best sense of the band's overall work by checking out their live album, called simply Live, or their best-of compilation titled Memories of a Time To Come. Live in particular is one of my favorite live albums ever. Memories has the amazing "Sacred Worlds" (their best song, IMO) and the epic "And Then There Was Silence," which are not found on Live but are essential. "Nightfall" is another essential track, found on both.

Among the proper studio albums, I would start with Imaginations From the Other Side. Nightfall In Middle-Earth is also great, but note that it is a concept album based on Tolkien's The Silmarillion, so it may not be for everyone.

Good luck, and enjoy! Blind Guardian is one of the best metal bands out there.

11. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Agree. My first were Imaginations and I still think it was the best possible choice. Nightfall might discourage you/piss you off with those endless interludes, if you're a first time listener and IMHO the songs are not as immediately catchy as those from Imaginations.

Aces_High likes this.
  12. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Agreed on Imaginations or Tales From the Twilight World. Nightfall might be better but I typically recommend avoiding concept albums/rock operas for a new listener. When I tried BG for the first time (working chronologically), Tales was the first one I really enjoyed.

Aces_High likes this.
  13. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

I've never rated Nightfall much until I heard the version without the interludes, it's 1000x better, been listening to that one for years and almost forgot about the interludes.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  14. LooseCannon

I guess if you don't care about the story, sure.

15. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Must repeat this to myself when trying not to sleep though the Red Mirror for the third time... ;)

Cornfed Hick likes this.
  16. Cornfed Hick

yes, it was a bit of a letdown, but still had a few good tracks

17. Cornfed Hick

I think the interludes were fun for the first 5-10 times I heard the album. Now I just skip them.

18. Travis The Dragon

Black Wizard likes this.
  19. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Travis The Dragon likes this.
  20. Travis The Dragon

I'm watching now. It looks and sounds amazing!