Blind Guardian

They played And Then There Was Silence once on this tour so far... I hope I won't have to go through such boredom here.

10003479_10152802365167113_5228777399183614083_n.jpg

:puke:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bl...igger-to-join-forces-for-north-american-tour/

Grave Digger is the opening act.

Oct. 27 - Baltimore Soundstage - Baltimore, MD
Oct. 29 - The Danforth Music Hall - Toronto, ON
Oct. 30 - Virgin Mobile Corona Theatre - Montreal, QC
Oct. 31 - The Palladium - Worcester, MA
Nov. 01 - Union Transfer - Philadelphia, PA
Nov. 03 - Webster Hall - New York, NY
Nov. 04 - Carnegie of Homestead Music Hall - Munhall, PA
Nov. 06 - The Crofoot - Pontiac, MI
Nov. 07 - House of Blues - Cleveland, OH
Nov. 08 - Concord Music Hall - Chicago, IL
Nov. 09 - Mill City Nights - Minneapolis, MN
Nov. 11 - The Summit Music Hall - Denver, CO
Nov. 13 - MacEwan Ballroom - Calgary, AB
Nov. 14 - Union Hall - Edmonton, AB
Nov. 16 - Commodore Ballroom - Vancouver, BC
Nov. 17 - Studio Seven - Seattle, WA
Nov. 19 - The Fillmore - San Francisco, CA
Nov. 20 - Ace of Spades - Sacramento, CA
Nov. 21 - City National Grove of Anaheim - Anaheim, CA
Nov. 22 - The Marquee - Tempe, AZ
Nov. 24 - Gas Monkey Live! - Dallas, TX
Nov. 25 - Warehouse Live - Houston, TX
Nov. 27 - The Masquerade - Atlanta, GA
Nov. 28 - The Plaza Live - Orlando, FL

Excited for a North American tour, but irritated that they are not performing in Los Angeles. :nuts2:

They probably think Anaheim is close enough -- but it's over an hour away! (Stoopid Germans.) I would understand if the venue were a large one, like the outdoor sheds that Maiden plays, but smaller venues like the one they booked in Anaheim are a dime a dozen in Hollywood, so it's pretty annoying that they are having their show in the O.C. instead. Still, for their sake I hope it is well attended. I hope I can make it -- if they had played in the heart of L.A., there would be no doubt. Anyway, forgive my bitching, on balance this is still welcome news.

Good it was cool! Not a bad set. Apart from Bright Eyes, the rest of my favourite 5 or even more songs are not in the setlist, though. Would love to see them again, but they don't play here.

They played 32 different songs on this tour and IMO this was the best possible selection. Yeah, I missed some songs, but in terms of this tour it was perfect :D

The Last Candle was beyond epic.

I'd prefer Journey through the Dark, Lord of the Rings or Lost in the Twilight Hall. But Bright Eyes is really cool though!

I think that they check the previous setlist they played in a certain country/city and make sure they don't repeat too much. Tonight they played 10 songs that they didn't play last time, for example.

Oh yeah, some dirty hipsters (who looked quite coked up) were elbowing and pushing people around since the beginning of the show, then few guys had had enough and beat them up, then they stopped. :applause:

Opening band called Burning Circle (from Serbia!) was also pretty good. I'd say they remind me of Symphony X with a more prog rock edge and some Opethian moments with growls.

A few months ago, someone posted this helpful Nightfall in Middle-earth guide on YouTube:
- - - - - - -

1. War of Wrath- A narration, opening with cool battle sounds. This is, as the title says, during the War of Wrath at the end of the Silmarillion. Morgoth is speaking with Sauron. The rest of the album is set before this.

2. Into the Storm- Great song. This is about the giant spider Ungoliant (for those of you who only know the LotR movies, Shelob's mother, who is much more evil and powerful) and her strife with Morgoth over the Silmarls.

3. Lammoth- A cry of pain. You will probably only understand the significance of this if you read the book. Echo.

4. Nightfall- One of my favourites. This is about the Noldor's anguish, and finally decision to leave led by Feanor, after the theft of the Silmarils and the murder of King Finwe. The part "Vala he is that's what you said... Finally you may follow me/ Farewell he said" is a great reference to the book, going back and forth between Feanor and those who oppose his decision to depart.

5. The Minstrel- A short medieval-sounding song. This is about Feanor speaking before the other Noldor. It is either from the point of view of Feanor or one of his sons, probably Maglor.

6. The Curse of Feanor- Another favourite. This is about, as the title says, Feanor, my favourite character in the Silmarillion, and is told from his point of view. Excellent references to the Oath. This song really captures Feanor's pain and vengeful determination. It shows a side of him that some may overlook.

7. Captured- A short narrative. Maedhros is capture and tortured by Morgoth.

8. Blood Tears- My absolute favourite. This is a very emotional song about Maedhros's rescue by his old friend Fingon. It has good, but somewhat subtle specific references, like "cut off you old friend's hand" and "It seems so clearly/ bent the bow/ cause life in me is gone".

9. Mirror Mirror- Another great one. Very high- energy. Ulmo, Lord of the Waters instructs Turgon to build the Hidden City, Gondolin. This song has an awesome sort of medieval- sounding main riff.

10. Face the Truth- Narration. This tells of the coming of Fingolfin's host to Middle-earth.

11. Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)- Another very emotional song. It captures the concept perfectly. This is about the fate of the Noldor. There are excellent refrences to the book, such as, "I know where the stars glow/ sky's unclouded/ sweet the water runs my friends" which refers to one of Feanor's speeches before they leave for Middle-earth. The "tears unnumbered..." part refers to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad (the Battle of Unnumbered Tears) and Mandos's speech which states the fate of the Noldor and foreshadows that battle.

12. The Battle of Sudden Flame- Another short song like to The Minstrel. An elf swearing loyalty to his lord, probably Fingolfin, before the Dagor Bragolloach (the Battle of Sudden Flame) in which the Elves suffered terrible defeat.

13. Time Stands Still (at the Iron Hill)- Amazing, epic song. Great guitar-work. This is about Fingolfin and his fall in a man to man battle with Morgoth. This song has an awesome bridge part.

14. The Dark Elf- A little one sentence chant. This is about Eöl, the Dark Elf, and leads into the next song.

15. Thorn- A dark song, one of my favourites. It tells the tale of Maeglin, the son of the aforementioned Eöl, and his internal pain and torment. The mentions of "betray" and "needless love" are very fitting with the books, as well as the "illgotten son" part. My favourite part of this song is the "Don't you think it's time... /come play the song of death." This really capture's Maeglin's mindset in the book.

16. The Eldar- Very good, but this is probably the one I listen to the least. This is the tale of Beren and Luthien, from Luthien's point of view, if I'm not mistaken.

17. Nom the Wise- A narration about the death of Finrod Felagund after he tried to help Beren.

18. When Sorrow Sang- Another great song. This one is also about the tale of Beren and Luthien, but this time, I believe, it is from Beren's point of view most of the time.

19. Out on the Water- Another song like The Minstrel or The Battle of Sudden Flame. It is the end of Beren and Luthien's tale.

20. The Steadfast- A narration. Morgoth proclaims his power.

21. A Dark Passage- Another one of my favourites. This is just before the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. It switches back and forth between Morgoth and his servants' point of view and the Noldor's point of view. It shows Morgoth's confidence in his power and the Noldor's desperation. This song has a really cool outro with great percussion that sounds like they really are going into battle.

22. Final Chapter (Thus ends...)- A narration closing up the album. It tells of the outcome of the Nirnaeth Arnoediad and the setup of the events to come. If you want to know what happens after that READ THE SILMARILLION.

Last edited:
One good thing about listening on your computer is that it's easy to cut out all those irritating interludes. Once you've done that, you've got ten decent-to-great power metal songs plus one tepid piano ballad.

I used to think the same for years but especially now, the interludes have started to make more sense to me now that I have discovered this "connecting" guide between Tolkien & Blind Guardian.

I am really rediscovering this album. I am now more tolerant towards calm music than in the past, when it came out. So it feels better than in the nineties even.

Interesting. I've generally been on the opposite trajectory, becoming increasingly unforgiving about all those little storytelling links and interludes that bands keep putting on concept albums. Write me a real song.

It's been a while since I played this Guardian album though. It's one of those records I listened to so much in my mid-teens that I can hear it all in my head, but maybe I'll have a different impression now. On the other hand, it's a bit scary - what if I don't like it at all anymore? ;)

Back